Can you be too fat with normal BMI? Help with goals please!

purplehearts1987
purplehearts1987 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2020 in Getting Started
Hi all
I've always been what people would call skinny with a low body fat, skinny legs and visible hip bones etc. I always used to run or climb regularly too. I was around 8 stone 10 (123lbs ish) at 5"7 with a 25 inch waist and 34 inch hips.

With lockdown, I've just had a shock to suddenly realise my clothes arent fitting - I'd been putting it down to bloating but actually, my thighs are obviously bigger. I've weighed myself and I'm now around 9 stone 9lbs (135lbs ish) which is supposedly a healthy weight for my height.

However, my belly feels, to me, big. I measured just above my navel and it's now 33.5inches. I also have large rolls when I sit down. So my question is, can you have a normal BMI and still be too fat? Because I feel too fat!

Should I be aiming to lose fat/weight even though my BMI is "normal"?

I've started running again and tracking calories which should hopefully help

But I think I need a bit of a wake up call about the amount of fat I've actually gained as there is still part of me that is in denial about it and telling myself that my BMI is normal I'm obviously bloated and I can still kinda squeeze into my clothes...

Thanks all!

Replies

• Bluerunbiker
    Bluerunbiker Posts: 30 Member
    I dont think your current weight is too bad and if you started running again as I have it should help , but running is so hard once you have a break ! Just keep an eye on the scales ! Ive noticed as I get older losing weight isnt as easy either.My BMI is above what it should be but not as bad as i think it would be (does that make sense)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It is possible and lack of muscle is a contributing factor. I would look into recomp so maintaining your weight, lifting, getting adequate protein to lose fat and build muscle over time. I am the same weight and height as you are right now and I am also recomping but I would not call myself fat in any sense of the word, just not as shredded as I'd like.

See this link for more info

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • BMI is a crude yardstick and doesn't distinguish between the weight of muscle and fat... so yes you can have a "normal" BMI but have low muscle levels and high(er) fat %.

Equally, you can have very low body fat levels and high muscle levels and come out as overweight on the BMI scale.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    BMI is a crude yardstick and doesn't distinguish between the weight of muscle and fat... so yes you can have a "normal" BMI but have low muscle levels and high(er) fat %.

Equally, you can have very low body fat levels and high muscle levels and come out as overweight on the BMI scale.

Agreed. It is also not a great tool for drawing lots of personal conclusions as it was designed to be used as a "population level" metric not an individual one and it doesn't account for body composition.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    I’m very close to you in height/weight - forget what BMI says and ignore the naysayers who scoff because compared to most people you’re thin. Has your weight/shape strayed from what it is when you are content with life and eating/exercising optimally? That’s all you need to worry about. Most of my life my BMI said I was underweight, but my blood tests were always healthy and I was in great shape - underweight was normal and healthy for me. Now that I’m “normal” BMI, I have high cholesterol and high triglycerides even though I’m only a size 2. I’m working on getting back to what’s normal and healthy FOR ME. BMI is BS.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited January 2021
    If you are at a healthy weight, too fat is just a relative term... Too fat compared to who's standard?

Thats not something anyone has the right to tell you...

Look to make changes because you want to better yourself, not because you are too this or to that...

Don't say, I want to change my habits because I'm too this or too that... All you are doing is projecting your inner cacophony on to reality...

Instead try, I want to get leaner... Or better yet, I want to focus on my diet and exercise... Focus on the shooting and not the target... 💕

• MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    You seem to be at a good weight. If I was in your shoes, I speculate I would focus on working out to gain muscle. It is surprising how good replacing fat weight with muscle weight looks.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited January 2021
    I am very close to 70kg which will get me into the "normal" BMI band for my height but I still have a nice roll of fat around my middle so we surely have to take BMI as a guide. A useful guide but a guide none-the-less.

That said, having come from a "morbidly obese" BMI I am still going to be doing that snoopy happy dance when I hit 69.9kg. :D
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited January 2021
    It is a necro thread