Trying to figure out my activity level

Hello!

I thought people here might be able to help me with this question. I wanted to figure out if my activity level was lightly active or sedentary. I started going to the gym five times a week for an hour long rhythm boxing/turbo jam/tae bo class. Outside of this class I’m pretty sedentary. When I go to class I usually get 10,000+ steps each day. When I don’t go (the weekends) I usually don’t hit that goal.

I know the question is dumb but I want to make sure I know how many calories I can intake. What do you all think? I’m not sure if my weight plays a role in my activity level too, but if it does then I’m 330lb. 😥😥

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I would choose light activity, and log your exercise separately and eating back those calories.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Your activity level in MFP does not include intentional exercise (your gym classes), but is based on how active you are in your normal day to day activities. How many steps do you get on non gym days?

You should log specific exercise separately and eat back at least some of the extra calories you get for that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    "I started going to the gym five times a week for an hour long rhythm boxing/turbo jam/tae bo class."
    This is nothing to do with your activity setting - exercise and activity are completely separate.
    Exercise is logged, estimated and added to that day's calorie goal.

"Outside of this class I’m pretty sedentary. When I go to class I usually get 10,000+ steps each day."
    10,000 steps is nothing like sedentary! OK the average drops a bit with your weekends but that's still a lot more than truly sedentary people.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    How many steps are you getting on days you don't go to the gym? That is the best gauge for your correct activity level.
  • ChristianDow
    ChristianDow Posts: 5 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    How many steps are you getting on days you don't go to the gym? That is the best gauge for your correct activity level.

Hmm. 1,000 steps if I don’t leave the house (which is often) lol.
  • ChristianDow
    ChristianDow Posts: 5 Member
    Your activity level in MFP does not include intentional exercise (your gym classes), but is based on how active you are in your normal day to day activities. How many steps do you get on non gym days?

You should log specific exercise separately and eat back at least some of the extra calories you get for that.

Ahhh, okay! Thank you!

• swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    You should set yourself as sedentary and then log exercise calories separately. 1,000 steps is very sedentary, so I'd be careful not to overestimate the gym workouts. I am set as "lightly active" and I have my fitbit synced with negative adjustments enabled. Typically I need at least 7500 steps in order to ensure that MFP doesn't take calories away/make a negative adjustment. So around that 7500 number is what they are considering "lightly active." For reaching 10,000 steps I typically get a positive adjustment between 100-150 calories.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    You should set yourself as sedentary and then log exercise calories separately. 1,000 steps is very sedentary, so I'd be careful not to overestimate the gym workouts. I am set as "lightly active" and I have my fitbit synced with negative adjustments enabled. Typically I need at least 7500 steps in order to ensure that MFP doesn't take calories away/make a negative adjustment. So around that 7500 number is what they are considering "lightly active." For reaching 10,000 steps I typically get a positive adjustment between 100-150 calories.

^^ This!!!