Discouraged?

Need some motivation/input/advice etc...just jogged/walked my first mile in months and I could barely do it...I am pretty frustrated. Its hard to not feel discouraged that ive let myself get this low with exercise/diet/taking care of myself..

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Well done on getting that first mile done, its going to take time to build your stamina so just make a promise to yourself to keep on making that effort each day... bit by bit you will get stronger and you will be glad you stuck with it.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    yup; don't look so far down the road and compare now to then; focus on day to day and slowly working yourself up. Don't push too hard as you'll risk injury. Celebrate each goal post that is further along as you go. You'll be surprised how fast your stamina will build up, especially if your profile picture is actually you - youth has great advantages!

BTW: I love your profile name, both the Appalachian part and the shield maiden part :D I'm from WV and love Ren faires and fantasy and such lol
  • Well done on getting that first mile done, its going to take time to build your stamina so just make a promise to yourself to keep on making that effort each day... bit by bit you will get stronger and you will be glad you stuck with it.

Thank you so much!
  • When I started in April 2019, I could barely walk a mile. My heart was beating out of my chest and my oxygen levels were extremely low. I was absent from any sort of exercise for 16 years. and my diet was out of control. I was 100 lbs overweight. I just kept telling myself "just get through this day" and tried not to look at the enormity of it all. That helped a lot. Each week I walked a little further and a little quicker. Now a year later, I am back to mountain biking, lifting weights and pushing myself every day. I've dropped 100 lbs from my heaviest. I'm 55.

You CAN do this. You WILL get stronger. You've taken the first step and that is what is most important. All my best!

I very very much appreciate this, thank you. I think that taking it day by day is probably the best bet. Also well done to you, that is fantastic hard work!!! You are inspiring.
  • yup; don't look so far down the road and compare now to then; focus on day to day and slowly working yourself up. Don't push too hard as you'll risk injury. Celebrate each goal post that is further along as you go. You'll be surprised how fast your stamina will build up, especially if your profile picture is actually you - youth has great advantages!

BTW: I love your profile name, both the Appalachian part and the shield maiden part :D I'm from WV and love Ren faires and fantasy and such lol

Thank you so much. Haha yes it is my profile pic, I am turning 32 next month.
    Also I love all that too! Virginia girl here, hey neighbor :)
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I’m getting back into running too after taking about a month and a half off. And I definitely feel set back from where I was. But right now I’m focusing on just reconnecting with why I enjoyed running in the first place. So I run/jog when I can, I walk when I want to, I stop to take pictures or pet a dog.

I also use Aaptiv for guided runs which is really helpful for me as it reminds me I don’t need to go all out the whole time I’m running. Nike has free ones on their app.
  • I’m getting back into running too after taking about a month and a half off. And I definitely feel set back from where I was. But right now I’m focusing on just reconnecting with why I enjoyed running in the first place. So I run/jog when I can, I walk when I want to, I stop to take pictures or pet a dog.

I also use Aaptiv for guided runs which is really helpful for me as it reminds me I don’t need to go all out the whole time I’m running. Nike has free ones on their app.

I will have to check out that app thank you!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Celebrate the fact that you went out for a mile. Did you do that the day before? No. So you've already improved.

It's so easy to get down on ourselves for not doing it "right/faster" the first time. Almost everyone starts slow. But strive to improve a little each week. That's when the magic happens, when you push a little harder and then it becomes easier. Apply this principle to anything... your job, cooking, any hobby.

Be sure to log those miles and times..and I promise that with consistency, you will improve. And when you hit a plateau or lack a little motivation, read your diary and see how far you've come.

Good luck!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    yup; don't look so far down the road and compare now to then; focus on day to day and slowly working yourself up. Don't push too hard as you'll risk injury. Celebrate each goal post that is further along as you go. You'll be surprised how fast your stamina will build up, especially if your profile picture is actually you - youth has great advantages!

Thank you so much. Haha yes it is my profile pic, I am turning 32 next month.
    Also I love all that too! Virginia girl here, hey neighbor :)

Howdy, neighbor! So are you in western Virginia I'd guess? (as opposed to WEST Virginia? lol - I recently bought a t-shirt that says "I am from WEST Virginia; I am not from the western part of Virginia" :grin: Course, you might get that in reverse!) But I have had people ask me where I was from, and when I told them West Virginia, I'd get the response "Cool! I have family in Richmond!" *eye roll*
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Know the feeling. Especially with recent events, I've gotten a too relaxed. I've been fast walking 10,000 steps and jogging up and down stairs at a local school yard for an average of 6 minutes or more. My appetite has picked up a bit but I've been trying to make good choices. Anyway good luck on your fitness journey. Be safe
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    You dont have to be great to start, you just have to start to become great!
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Our bodies sometimes need time to get used to certain exercises. We also need to know when we have to take a rest day. At the end of the day its all about self care and taking it one day at a time. You will get through this!
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Don't feel discouraged! Please!

I live between the sea and the hills, the walk to the sea being flat and the walk up the hills being evil, and I started walking just a bit towards the sea, to get shopping at the local store. This was about 3 months ago.

And going to the store and back was the best I could do and even then I looked at the map for the shortest route. Then I started not to take the short cuts, and then I started to actually seek out the longest way round.

Then I would walk to the store, head for the sea and back to the store, get my shopping and come home.... You get the idea.

But my real goal was to walk up the hill to the top, something I have said for years I would love to do. So again, slowly, I added a bit and added a bit, up the hill and along a road half way up and back, then to the top of where the houses stop and along and back. And this week I went past the houses and up on to the hill properly and the sense of a achievement cannot be expressed in words.

Now I just have to do it without getting completely knackered. :)

So PLEASE do not feel discouraged. Add a bit and and add a bit and add a bit more. That does not mean too much too soon or you will hurt yourself but if I can go from nothing to a 5 mile round trip in 12 weeks (and my weight is still just the wrong side of obese) then so can you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Really great post, @freda78

So true. Just start. Any exercise at all means you're lapping the guy sitting on the couch.