I feel disgusting!

Options
I havent found motivation to do a proper workout since lockdown. I struggle at the thought of doing it at home. My diet has fluctuated but id say at least 70% healthy every day. Ive always had body issues however, i videos myself doing a workout in a gym bra and shorts and when i saw the video i got the shock of my life! I look disgusting! I was 54kg at the best weight, i felt lean and confident. Im nearly 60kg now.. and im just fed up, i cant do this anymore. Im scared and i find doing anything with weights here at home so daunting. How do i overcome such strong feelings of disgust.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Flip the switch. Use this as a time out from all of it. Fat is not a feeling whether it's imagined or factual.
    Search the forum, you'll find other threads with resources and aids to overcome this struggle. Our bodies are not a character flaw. No matter our weight, our bodies and minds have carried us through every rough day we've ever had and we're still standing. Intact.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be your own critic, but don't be your own worst enemy. You have to be with yourself 24/7 so it'd be much more useful to be a cheerleader for yourself. Even right now you're so focussed on the negative you're ignoring all your positive traits like they somehow don't count because of the current problem you're focussed on. They count!

You're not far off from your goal, which is a much better starting point than a lot of people get. You have MyFitnessPal AND you know your goals, since you've already reached them before. Realize how amazing it is that you are your own body goals. You know what it's like to be where you want to go. You remember what it feels like.

All you have to do is develop a strategy to get there. How to get yourself back on track. As long as you keep trying and don't give up you can get there.

Start with what you did last time. Write it out. How close can you get to that right now? What do you need to learn? Lifting? New Rules of Lifting For Women is often recommend as a good book to pick up. YouTube propper lifting form. Etc. Don't feel like doing a full workout? Do half a workout in the morning and half in the afternoon.

You know you, and how best to motivate and outsmart yourself.

I can't even count the number of failed strategies I've had. Finding out what doesn't work gets you one step closer to finding what does work, as long as you don't quit
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

i find doing anything with weights here at home so daunting.

Why? What do you say to yourself that stops you?

What was your gym workout? What can you do at home? What can you do to fill in the gaps? Have you looked on YouTube for at home workouts?

Something I’ve found in life in general, when we like something and then it’s gone for whatever reason, we often view any replacement as not as good. Not necessarily on the merits, but just because it isn’t what we had.

Since the gym closed I’ve been working with resistance bands. I didn’t care for it much at first. But then I started to get results. I’m adding some water jugs. Then I’m getting a bag of sand. Throw in some body weight exercise and I think I’m going to be ok.

Try to keep an open mind and conduct some experiments. Exercise rule # 1- something is better than nothing.
  • baylsjem
    baylsjem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same way. At the beginning of self quarantine, I just vegged. I grew more and more tired. I felt awful everyday. It HAD to change. Not to lose weight, but to feel more accomplished and energetic in the day.

It doesn’t have to be a lot. I take a brisk walk on MWFSat mornings for 20-40 minutes. Then on TThSun I do 30 minutes of strength training. I’ve found some At Home workout videos on YouTube. I play it on my tv and I follow. I’ve gained my happiness back. Heck! I even started dancing one night (good thing my blinds were closed😅) I kept going and broke a good sweat.

Being home can be boring and draining during this time. But try to have FUN with it. You got this girl. You’re amazing. 🙌🏼
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I know.. i should get help for my body insecurities. I just wish i could work through it on my own :(

Same advice as last time---see a professional ASAP.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset....Be your own beautiful!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I know.. i should get help for my body insecurities. I just wish i could work through it on my own :(

But why do you feel the need to work through it on your own? A professional can help you get into a healthier place mentally which is so, so important. Even in therapy you have to do the work to make progress, the therapist is just there to help guide you.