Carnivore diet

2»

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I dont think it's a fad, and I think you may have found a video of some who isnt all there.

There must be merit to the diet. I found a very informative article on onnit. Worth a read.

Look I have a specific reason to which I am looking into it. My profession takes me away from home a lot, sometimes to other communities for weeks at a time and sometimes to mining camps for weeks at a time. When living in crew housing in communities it's easy to eat right and maintain a balanced macro diet. When in a camp, in the Baffin Island for example there is a cook, cooking for hundreds of people. The quality is poor and maintaining a balanced macro diet becomes extremely difficult especially when work 12hrs or more a day. With a diet such as carnivore it easy and straight forward, just eat meat and animal products. So, this is my reason for asking and exploring the option because in June I will be such a camp till October, with only 18days out in total, 9 days a piece.

It's not a matter of jumping on the latest fad diet but a matter of maintaining my body composition in which I worked like a dog to achieve.

Anyway, thank you all for your valuable input, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to pass along your info and opinions.

I don't know anything about the carnivore diet specifically, but just eating meat and animal products doesn't sound like a nutritionally sound diet.

Fad diets capitalize on the "easy" part because if you're just eating cabbage soup (real diet fad btw) you don't have to spend time thinking about what you're going to eat.
  • RobAS355
    RobAS355 Posts: 20 Member
    I dont diet anymore, it's a life style and Ibhave no problem spending time and putting thought into what I eat. If I didnt this thread wouldnt exist.

The food that is in this work camp I am going to is like a cafeteria style place. It's a place that serves volume and thus quality is sacrificed in preparation to feed hundreds of people. There are healthy carbs and unhealthy carbs and those in between. But you cant measure what you are eating and you dont know what the food is prepared in, such as sauces, that are usually high is carbs from sugars.

I know I cant weigh my meat there but on average you can make a proper guess. I honestly dont see this as a fad due to it being a way of life for various groups of people for hundreds of years. It comes off as a fad because it has been popularized by main stream media, but there is actual merit to it if done right.

I am not looking for an easy way out just a way to get through the summer without gaining unnecessary fat, there is a gym where I am going so I can mitigate this to a degree.

Thanks again everyone for your input. I have a lot to think about based on what I have read from a few people here.
  • RobAS355
    RobAS355 Posts: 20 Member
    Maybe. The meat is not of low quality. Its chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc...

All I am asking is what is the difference between doing carnivore on a factory farm meat compared to the non GMO grass finished meats.

If I am going to try this diet I want to know if I can do it without the high end meats. And if not then is it wont be worth trying. All the food at this place is sourced from large grocery distributors from Montreal. But I can garentee it's not the same food you would get at a whole foods.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    A little late to the party but I've been carnivore (with some carb cheats) since October. I love it... except of course I fell into cheating somewhat because sugar addiction is a *kitten*.

I've been doing a lot of research, there's some conflicting info out there but hell of a lot less conflicting than regular ways of eating. Reddit is a good place to check out, either r/carnivore or r/zerocarb.

I have experienced immediate reduction in bloating, very much improved digestion, hormonal balance, less brain fog, less ADHD symptoms, less joint pain and overall feeling great. My thoughts are calm and I have so much less anxiety and depression.

People call it a fad but I don't believe that to be true, it's just gaining more attention lately for some reason. There are people who have been carnivore 20+ years and are thriving. Some who aren't overweight do this for better body composition. I also want to note that I did not do any exercise for the first 6 months and my biceps were stronger.

I started it, only as a 30 day trial, to try and lose some weight because keto wasn't doing it for me. I felt so much better after 30 days I decided to continue. Other than the initial water weight loss within my first 3 weeks, I haven't lost any weight but I continue because I truly believe it's healing me from the inside, the weight loss will follow when my body has healed from all the damage I've caused it for the past 40+ years. There are supplements that some choose to take, especially electrolytes at the beginning but you're really only missing out on Vitamin C which is said to be less needed when there's no or little carb consumption - but this provides pretty much the most complete nutrition especially if you eat liver and other organs (which I do not). It's not for everyone, some people don't do well on it. Some give up after 3 days because adaptation may not be fun for some. Some are good to go from the start. I noticed a lot of positive changes right from the beginning, and still experiencing them 8 months later.

I eat beef, lamb, pork, chicken, eggs, some cheese (cut down a lot), cream and butter. Some eat only beef. I only drink coffee and water, but some cut out coffee since it's not an animal product. If you're still considering, I'd say try it even for just 2 weeks if you don't want to commit to the 30 days.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    RobAS355 wrote: »
    Maybe. The meat is not of low quality. Its chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc...

All I am asking is what is the difference between doing carnivore on a factory farm meat compared to the non GMO grass finished meats.

If I am going to try this diet I want to know if I can do it without the high end meats. And if not then is it wont be worth trying. All the food at this place is sourced from large grocery distributors from Montreal. But I can garentee it's not the same food you would get at a whole foods.

I have eaten both grass fed meat and regular meat. Although my mentality is to go with grass fed, my budget and availability of it doesn't always allow. Since the quarantine we've been eating regular meat and it's been fine. This is one of those areas that can be conflicting, some will say only grass fed, others will say either is fine. It might just boil down to your personal preferences or what you have available.
  • joule001
    joule001 Posts: 1 Member
    Here are some references to start with .

Meat only diet (a carnivore diet ) Why would it work?

https://youtu.be/isIw2AN_-XU

Two men all meat diet for one year 1930 by Walter S McLean and Eugene F Du Bois
    http://www.jbc.org/content/87/3/651.full.pdf

https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/04/19/eskimos-prove-an-all-meat-diet-provides-excellent-health-by-vilhjalmur-stefansson/

Why all humans need to eat meat for Health

https://breakingmuscle.com/healthy-eating/why-all-humans-need-to-eat-meat-for-health

Nina Teicholz: Red meat and health

https://youtu.be/1rz-8H_i1wA
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    jenny3073 wrote: »
    A little late to the party but I've been carnivore (with some carb cheats) since October. I love it... except of course I fell into cheating somewhat because sugar addiction is a *kitten*.

I've been doing a lot of research, there's some conflicting info out there but hell of a lot less conflicting than regular ways of eating. Reddit is a good place to check out, either r/carnivore or r/zerocarb.

I have experienced immediate reduction in bloating, very much improved digestion, hormonal balance, less brain fog, less ADHD symptoms, less joint pain and overall feeling great. My thoughts are calm and I have so much less anxiety and depression.

People call it a fad but I don't believe that to be true, it's just gaining more attention lately for some reason. There are people who have been carnivore 20+ years and are thriving. Some who aren't overweight do this for better body composition. I also want to note that I did not do any exercise for the first 6 months and my biceps were stronger.

I started it, only as a 30 day trial, to try and lose some weight because keto wasn't doing it for me. I felt so much better after 30 days I decided to continue. Other than the initial water weight loss within my first 3 weeks, I haven't lost any weight but I continue because I truly believe it's healing me from the inside, the weight loss will follow when my body has healed from all the damage I've caused it for the past 40+ years. There are supplements that some choose to take, especially electrolytes at the beginning but you're really only missing out on Vitamin C which is said to be less needed when there's no or little carb consumption - but this provides pretty much the most complete nutrition especially if you eat liver and other organs (which I do not). It's not for everyone, some people don't do well on it. Some give up after 3 days because adaptation may not be fun for some. Some are good to go from the start. I noticed a lot of positive changes right from the beginning, and still experiencing them 8 months later.

I eat beef, lamb, pork, chicken, eggs, some cheese (cut down a lot), cream and butter. Some eat only beef. I only drink coffee and water, but some cut out coffee since it's not an animal product. If you're still considering, I'd say try it even for just 2 weeks if you don't want to commit to the 30 days.

I'm just intrigued you have an easy way to know your hormones are balanced, as in all of them when there are almost certainly hormones we don't know of yet, let alone know what a balance of hormones is for all the ones we are aware of already.

Though I'm not surprised the diet made you feel better. If you did no exercise but gain strength in the biceps, you must have been eating an incredibly poor amount of protein or just plain starvation to see spontaneous increases in strength.