I'm confused about step count and my set activity level

pardary
pardary Posts: 2 Member
What the title says. I had a hard time deciding between not very active and lightly active, but I'm not sure that matters. I synced up Google fit and it's counting my steps, but it's giving me a calorie adjustment just for walking around my house. Shouldn't that be accounted for in my chosen activity level? Like the step count isn't in addition to my normal activity, it IS my normal activity.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    As your Fitbit is synced with MFP, MFP is taking your chosen activity level into consideration when it adjusts your calories. This adjustment is all about how many calories you have burned so far that day according to your Fitbit to how many you would have burned with the chosen activity level.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    If the integration between google fit and mfp is working properly, what @Lillymoo01 said would be absolutely correct.

yes, a question does exist on occasion about MFP and google fit working correctly.

How many steps do you usually get in a day. If more than 5000 steps (and this would be on a wrist tracker, so probably lower for a phone tracker)... then you're lightly active and NOT "not very active". If in the 10K range you may well be active in actual fact.

The apparent veracity of calories out does depend on how closely you match population estimates and on the quality and consistency of logging calories in!
  • pardary
    pardary Posts: 2 Member
    I've been fiddling with it, and even if I change my activity level, it still adds on the same number of calories, so maybe it's not working correctly? Or i still just don't understand how it works. I've walked 2700 steps today, and whether I set my activity level to not very active or lightly active, it still credits me almost 700 exercise calories. Which would have me eating 2000 calories for a sedentary lifestyle or about 2200 for lightly active. Does that seem right??
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Nope-nope. Does not seem right!

A potential confounding factor is how long it may be taking for an adjustment to come through after a change -- these things are FAR from "synchronous".

So I wouldn't be surprised if a change takes effect tomorrow.

But no. I would not expect a positive adjustment above "sedentary" (web) (also known as "not very active" in the mobile app) at less than 3500 steps, and certainly would not expect such a large adjustment.