VO2 max

BrianSharpe
BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
I know that V02 max isn't the be all and end all measure of fitness but I'm pretty pleased with the it for my age (64), not sure how meaningful Garmin's "fitness age" is but I'll take it as a good thing....

fhx4fnv06hml.png

3rnvcm8j84qi.png

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    There's a lot of hard work that goes into that. I'm sure you're more proud of the hard work behind that than the actual number and you should be! Shows a lot of dedication, work ethic and discipline (and I'm sure resilience too). At just 55, I know a lot can go wrong with the body training as hard as that number requires, so kudos to you!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    There's a lot of hard work that goes into that. I'm sure you're more proud of the hard work behind that than the actual number and you should be! Shows a lot of dedication, work ethic and discipline (and I'm sure resilience too). At just 55, I know a lot can go wrong with the body training as hard as that number requires, so kudos to you!

Ditto! Many miles needed to produce those numbers.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Nice work Brian.

I find the Garmin number a pretty good correlation to my fitness levels - I don't hate myself enough to torture myself with another lab test just to find out how close the numbers are so a reasonable track is good enough and quite motivational.

Curiosly I don't get the "Fitness Age" feature on my (Android) phone but that's seriously impressive to wind your clock back 22 years.

Chapeau!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited May 2020
    Kudos, Brian - nice work (and it is work)!
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nice work Brian.

I find the Garmin number a pretty good correlation to my fitness levels - I don't hate myself enough to torture myself with another lab test just to find out how close the numbers are so a reasonable track is good enough and quite motivational.

Curiosly I don't get the "Fitness Age" feature on my (Android) phone but that's seriously impressive to wind your clock back 22 years.

Chapeau!

That's odd. I get it on my Android phone (with Vivoactive 3 as the device, so not top of the line).
  • sijomial
    edited May 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Kudos, Brian - nice work (and it is work)!
    Nice work Brian.

Chapeau!

That's odd. I get it on my Android phone (with Vivoactive 3 as the device, so not top of the line).

Thanks Ann.
    Garmin Edge 1000 and Samsung Galaxy. Might try uninstalling and reinstalling although it's saying I have latest version of Connect.

I use a Boditrax BIA device at my gym (Oh gym - how I miss you!) and it has a metabolic age score and it always makes me smile.
  • BrianSharpe
    Thanks all...I found this heplful as a way of keeping my motivation up this year as there won't be any races. At least it gives me another year of training before moving up an AG next year.
  • Djproulx
    Good point about the motivation. That's been a challenge for me. I've even resorted to putting on my race kit and doing a race simulation occasionally just to get the juices flowing. :)

I"m also going to figure out why my iphone doesn't show my "fitness age" estimate.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Mine tracks with my fitness, when the number goes up it's because I'm in a better place capable of more. I don't always understand short term changes but on the whole it does a good job.

My cycling VO2max has always been lower than my running value. I thought that's how it worked for everybody.

Sometimes I get the fitness age, sometimes I don't. Fenix 6X and Samsung Note 8.
  • BrianSharpe
    Mine tracks with my fitness, when the number goes up it's because I'm in a better place capable of more. I don't always understand short term changes but on the whole it does a good job.

My cycling VO2max has always been lower than my running value. I thought that's how it worked for everybody.

Sometimes I get the fitness age, sometimes I don't. Fenix 6X and Samsung Note 8.

Mine may be a little backwards right now AS I didn't do a lot of running earlier this year but did spend a lot more time on the trainer. My running VO2 max has usually been higher than my cycling too.... my old 920xt used to irritate me as the running would update regularly but not the cycling.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    FWIW, in the Garmin Connect web browser version, Fitness Age shows up in Reports/All Activities/VO2max, too, if available. I'm pretty sure it's a Firstbeat thing, so it never occurred to me that it didn't always show up for everyone with a suitable device.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Nice work Brian!!
  • Djproulx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, in the Garmin Connect web browser version, Fitness Age shows up in Reports/All Activities/VO2max, too, if available. I'm pretty sure it's a Firstbeat thing, so it never occurred to me that it didn't always show up for everyone with a suitable device.

Ann, I must not have purchased the "Fountain of Youth" module from Garmin, because checking Reports/All Activites/VO2 Max in my Garmin Connect browser version tells me my numerical score and percentage ranking, but not a Fitness Age.

So, I guess I'll just have to act my age and move on :)
  • richardbrownuk1
    richardbrownuk1 Posts: 6 Member
    If you look at the compatible devices on the Firstbeat website https://www.firstbeat.com/en/consumer-products/products/ it shows that they each have different Firstbeat functions. Some do not have 'fitness age'. Regardless of that, in comparing VO2 Max between me and my colleague and my friend who have Garmin sports watches, frankly it's only a guide at best. I (age 55, fitness age 20) have a supposed VO2 Max of 45 and a solo/training 5k time of 24:47 recently. My colleague (age 50) has a VO2 Max of 45 and a 5k time of over 27 minutes. My friend (age 72) has a VO2 Max of 46 and a 5k time of 32 minutes. I honestly don't mind if either my friend or my colleague are fitter than me, have a higher VO2 Max than me or a lower fitness age, but the numbers are not consistent with performance, so do take them with a pinch of salt.

I would also say that I believe it is sensible that Garmin separates running VO2 Max from cycling VO2 Max. Someone who is attuned to running may not be attuned to cycling, and vice versa. Cycling, in my opinion, is more demanding on muscle power and possibly endurance. Running needs a different physique and different fitness traits. If I focus on cycling for a period, I know that my running VO2 Max will probably decrease, but equally I know that my overall condition will increase. My VO2 Max went up to 47 recently as I was running on smooth surfaces around my village. I don't enjoy that as much as cross country running so reverted to cross country in the knowledge that my VO2 Max (as interpreted by Garmin/Firstbeat) would most likely decrease, which it did, to 45. I don't mind that as I enjoy the countryside so much more than streets but I'm darned sure that my fitness and VO2 Max hasn't gone down!
  • sijomial
    @richardbrownuk1

Thanks for the link Richard, confirms my Garmin has some Firstbeat functions but not Fitness Age.
  • richardbrownuk1
    richardbrownuk1 Posts: 6 Member
    You're welcome :)
  • Djproulx
    @richardbrownuk1

Thanks for the link Richard, confirms my Garmin has some Firstbeat functions but not Fitness Age.

Yes, same here. Thank you.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    I took a test, cycling, 6-7 years ago when I first started triathlon. I’d be curious to see how that has changed.

I don’t really trust the Garmin numbers. But I could learn more...
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I've even resorted to putting on my race kit and doing a race simulation occasionally just to get the juices flowing. :)

🤣🤣🤣 halfway there!
  • Djproulx
    goatg wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I've even resorted to putting on my race kit and doing a race simulation occasionally just to get the juices flowing. :)

🤣🤣🤣 halfway there!

Exactly! Just need body markings and an old race bib and I'd really be in the game!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    The numbers are estimates but will show trends.. what is important is the effort you have put in to change the trend :-) This link may be helpful to you.

https://www.wareable.com/health-and-wellbeing/vo2-max-guide-understand-and-increase-789