Every Time I Start Sport I Get An Injury. Very Frustrated.

Hi team I'm very frustrated, first of all this time the weight loss is going really well so that's the good news. Down 20 pounds in 5 weeks. My problem is I start training regularly 1 sport and I get injuries fast. I've been for 2 weeks doing Mountain Bike one day yes and one day no and now I got a hip pain. I've stopped for 4 days and have tried to walk 3 miles and it hurts.

So now I see myself stopping again my training rhythm and the stamina I had built down to square 0 for god knows how many times.

Pfeewwww

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    So....do you stretch before and after? Be honest, there are PTs and physical trainers in the forums 😉
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Try a sport that’s low impact. Like swimming or walking. Sorry you’re hurting.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Or-what Ann said.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Hi team I'm very frustrated, first of all this time the weight loss is going really well so that's the good news. Down 20 pounds in 5 weeks. My problem is I start training regularly 1 sport and I get injuries fast. I've been for 2 weeks doing Mountain Bike one day yes and one day no and now I got a hip pain. I've stopped for 4 days and have tried to walk 3 miles and it hurts.

So now I see myself stopping again my training rhythm and the stamina I had built down to square 0 for god knows how many times.

Pfeewwww

Sorry you are frustrated.

Other than discomfort, what makes you think you are injured?

Pain alone isn't a sign of injury unless caused by trama.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    At 20 pounds in 5 weeks, you're losing very aggressively fast. Do you start each new sport with the same aggressive "do it all now, and fast" kind of approach? :)

If so, a gradual increase is usually a more injury-avoiding approach. The bike fit idea is a good one.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    At 20 pounds in 5 weeks, you're losing very aggressively fast. Do you start each new sport with the same aggressive "do it all now, and fast" kind of approach? :)

If so, a gradual increase is usually a more injury-avoiding approach. The bike fit idea is a good one.

Exactly I don’t think I know what gradually means. My problem is that when something doesn’t go as planned I get frustrated and negative like ti was all not worth it.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Pfeewwww

Hi I’m injured because I have pain cycling and walking that I didn’t have before. I hope it goes away but lets see. Also my back hurts so Im not sure what if it comes from my back.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Get your bike fit to you. Use a professional fitter (if you have medical insurance, a physical therapist fit session will typically be covered if you're in pain).

This. (Hip pain can be from the saddle being too high for instance).
  • Lastchancetochange
    Update: I faced my demons here. Found a good physio who has healed me the troncanter and piramidal is on it's way.

Can't touch the bike yet but already doing 3 workouts a week + 1 day golf and 1 day walk.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Update: I faced my demons here. Found a good physio who has healed me the troncanter and piramidal is on it's way.

Can't touch the bike yet but already doing 3 workouts a week + 1 day golf and 1 day walk.
    I’ve seen your previous posts and you are very much an all or nothing dieter/exerciser. Your rate of loss suggests you have not attempted to change that behavior. Hopefully you don’t injure yourself to the point where it’s permanent, but seriously, see a professional to break the all or nothing cycle since you seem unwilling or unable to do it on your own.

Best of luck on your journey
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Pfeewwww

Hi I’m injured because I have pain cycling and walking that I didn’t have before. I hope it goes away but lets see. Also my back hurts so Im not sure what if it comes from my back.

Other than trama, pain doesn't equate injury. Many people have pain with no signs of injury and many people have had injuries such as bulging discs without any pain.

Pain is signaled from the brain as a way to protect us and not a sign we are injured outside of trama.

Almost always pain we experience goes away in a few weeks without needing any medical attention. Hence why you see often doctors prescribe over the counter type pain relievers and nothing else but time.

If pain is untolerable and you are resistance training, I would look at load management most of the time first.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I’ve seen your previous posts and you are very much an all or nothing dieter/exerciser. Your rate of loss suggests you have not attempted to change that behavior. Hopefully you don’t injure yourself to the point where it’s permanent, but seriously, see a professional to break the all or nothing cycle since you seem unwilling or unable to do it on your own.

Best of luck on your journey

Yes agree, the all or nothing has sometime been a weapon in other aspects of my life like work but not in diet and exercise. I basically never cared about my body until I was like 33 and then I've been yoyoing and learning at the same time.

I am a bit like the dog with the cookie and when I'm on a happy mode the reward mechanism activates which is going to a restaurant to celebrate.

In my childhood is where I developed the compulsive eating. I would eat compulsively at school. I remember there was open bar of bread and it would eat so much and bring some to the playgroud and then when I arrived home I looted the kitchen and fridge until I was totally full. I don't do that in my house normally since a lot of years but the restaurant behavior stuck. As a kid I was always slim and that's why I was never worried.

In my freshman year in college I broke my knee for the first time and was 1 year without doing sport and eating and drinking as before so I gained 70 pounds and that is where it all started.

Then I lost it all in 1 year and slowly put in 3-4 years even more weight, then lost it and re-gained.