Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you define "Curvy?"

Replies

• sdenness9925
    sdenness9925 Posts: 254 Member
    I have to say i thought hour glass was literally like an hour glass, though this could be defined as curvy. But then any curvy in the right places is curvy, so ........ man i dont know actualy, but hey, really great question
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I would really like to take back the ‘curvy’ moniker for the hourglass shape. Even now that I still have some inches to lose in the midsection I still consider myself a curvy figure, I think it has more to do with the hip shape when it comes to pants.

It’s been a nightmare finding jeans to fit in the low and mid rise styles for the last 5-10 years. A curved cut would have a smaller waist in relation to the hips, and would avoid the dreaded gap of doom. We won’t even talk about those of us with a long torso and high natural waist.

That is so me. These "high waisted" pants still come below my belly button and probably a good inch or two below my waist.

You must’ve not discovered ‘super high’ high waisted jeans yet?

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I would really like to take back the ‘curvy’ moniker for the hourglass shape. Even now that I still have some inches to lose in the midsection I still consider myself a curvy figure, I think it has more to do with the hip shape when it comes to pants.

It’s been a nightmare finding jeans to fit in the low and mid rise styles for the last 5-10 years. A curved cut would have a smaller waist in relation to the hips, and would avoid the dreaded gap of doom. We won’t even talk about those of us with a long torso and high natural waist.

That is so me. These "high waisted" pants still come below my belly button and probably a good inch or two below my waist.

You must’ve not discovered ‘super high’ high waisted jeans yet?

Oh I have. That's really what I was referring to above. I have 2 pairs. They both come below my naval.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Booty, thighs, and breasts. To me, hips have nothing to do with it. One can have wide hips and be otherwise skinny.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Not shaped like SpongeBob.
    So true, and why I'm here :#
  • TooDamnSweet
    TooDamnSweet Posts: 63 Member
    Curvy and hour glass body types are not necessarily the same thing. Curvy is synonymous with curvaceous, rounded, zaftig, shapely, buxom, statuesque, voluptuousw, well-rounded, sonsie, bosomy, etc. Also, measurement proportions can be misleading depending on height.
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    To me curvy is someone who has a fairly prominent butt/bust, smaller waist, flat belly. And yes... I do think it has become synonymous with chunky/fat for some.

While, I dont particularly think that I am 'fat', I also think that I am too chubby to use the term curvy as I envision it. I have a large measurement difference between boobs/waist/hips... but I also have a lower stomach pouch. A high waist means that even though I have a belly, my actual waist isnt that big.

• cherrylou123
    cherrylou123 Posts: 96 Member
    Curvy has smaller waist and wider hips😊😊😊

Not all slim are curvy.. Not all fat are curvy 😉

I like curvy than slim or fat..
  • tufntender
    tufntender Posts: 98 Member
    Well, from my rearview I have been described as curvy and HWP, yay. But, then I turn around and My man calls me pleasantly plump, hmmm
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Booty, thighs, and breasts. To me, hips have nothing to do with it. One can have wide hips and be otherwise skinny.

you get that hips are "booty and thighs" pretty much right???
  • xophne
    xophne Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2020
    Curvy to me is low waist to hip ratio. Around 0.7 & lower, I’m a 0.61. A person can have a low ratio and be “big” or “small”. When I was 45 pounds heavier my ratio just happened to remain the same, I was considered curvy although some called me overweight/chubby.
  • chloecola
    chloecola Posts: 104 Member
    When I personally think 'curvy', I think classic pin up coke bottle shape.
    36/24/36 😘💕
    But honestly, 'curvy' doesn't necessarily mean concave.... it can mean convex...
    but I personally think 'curvy' has an attractive connotation?
    Not saying fat women can't be beautiful... 😅😂😭
    I'm going to bed.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

you get that hips are "booty and thighs" pretty much right???

Nope. Some skinny women have wide hips but skinny legs and a flat butt. Not the same things.

That would be me. Small waist, wide hips but toothpick legs and a pancake behind. Wide shoulders but no bust to speak of. I would never fit any clothing labelled "curvy".
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    My husband described me as curvy forever. When I weighed 105 lb to now after three kids at 145. I agree that it has a lot to do with the hip-wasit- bust ratio. I think you can weigh outside the normal BMI and still be called curvy if you still have that ratio.