Coronavirus prep

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/open-america/contact-tracing.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/php/principles-contact-tracing-booklet.pdf

https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/sante/newsletter-specific-archive-issue.cfm?archtype=specific&newsletter_service_id=327&newsletter_issue_id=22243&page=1&fullDate=Wed 13 May 2020&lang=default

The guidelines will be complemented by interoperability specifications for cross-border transmission chains between approved apps. This will be supported by structured discussions between Member States through the eHealth Network. The work of Member States to develop and validate the apps will be supported by the New Generation Internet and m-health communities.

I've heard that there will be apps to do contact tracing in the near future (and another link in a different post talked about someone who is putting one together). But I'm not sure I'm on board with this idea - yes it would be good to know who someone is positive has had contact with so we can alert people that they have been exposed, but it seems like a slippery slope to allow ourselves to be essentially spied upon. If we open this door it would be mighty hard to close it and I don't like the idea that we are opening ourselves to this much government tracking even if for a good cause/reason.

It'll be interesting to see how everything goes with this idea.

The apps being developed by major providers for the U.S. don't contemplate turning the information over to the government (which has made public health officials far less enthusiastic about them). Basically, you would download the app if you wanted and opt in to having your location tracked and stored. Then, if you or anyone else using the app tests positive for COVID, you or they would be expected to notify the app of that, and the app would in turn let all the app users who had been in the same location as you in the past XX days know that they have potentially been exposed. They wouldn't be told who the person was who may have exposed them, and the government wouldn't be told anything.

Between the potential for jerks downloading it and falsely reporting they've tested positive (for the same reason some of the unmasked mock the masked), and the likelihood that lots of people would fail to report if they tested positive (because they were too sick by that time to be thinking about it, because they had renewed privacy concerns, because they forgot about it, because they were busy trying to figure out how to deal with real self-quaranting and not expose the people they live with, etc.), I'm not seeing these apps as being all that helpful.

Thats not how the Australian one works - the phone owner does not report that they are positive nor contact other phone owners.

Health officials use the positive person's phone to see who else (or more correctly which other phones with the app) their phone has been in the vicinity of for 15 minutes or more.

I have not downloaded it - and most times I am in vicinity of unknown people for more than 15 mins I dont have my phone on me anyway
    I go to work, shopping, sports, dog park,dog obedience classes, walking group, and don't have my phone on me all the time.
    So, in fact I could well be in contact with people but my phone won't show that anyway

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I just found out that some police and sheriffs here in TN are being given names and addresses of everyone who has tested positive. Health privacy apparently doesn't matter here: https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/may/08/state-health-department-gives-names-addresses/522572/

Why?? What are police doing with the information? It isn't illegal to be I'll.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/open-america/contact-tracing.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/php/principles-contact-tracing-booklet.pdf

https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/sante/newsletter-specific-archive-issue.cfm?archtype=specific&newsletter_service_id=327&newsletter_issue_id=22243&page=1&fullDate=Wed 13 May 2020&lang=default

The guidelines will be complemented by interoperability specifications for cross-border transmission chains between approved apps. This will be supported by structured discussions between Member States through the eHealth Network. The work of Member States to develop and validate the apps will be supported by the New Generation Internet and m-health communities.

What did you just say!!! Amazing how complicated life can get.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I went to a local chain grocery store early this morning. They had so many masks, so much hand sanitizer, and lots of gloves.
    I hope some of it is on consignment (it looks like it might be). What will they do with all those masks when this is over or slows down? Someone will lose their investment, for sure.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Haven't heard any whining here about that either nonymouse

But I did see TV footage some weeks ago of a person in self isolation in a country town in Victoria, I think, who then went out to her mechanics and then somewhere else and people reported to police.

the other peoples wouldn't of known her test results but they knew she had returned from overseas ( this was before overseas returnees had to do motel supervised quarantine)

Was she apologetic and repentant??

No she was just angry her neighbours had dobbed her in. :o:*:|:s

What a selfish woman. Hope she got a big fine for that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

But I did see TV footage some weeks ago of a person in self isolation in a country town in Victoria, I think, who then went out to her mechanics and then somewhere else and people reported to police.

the other peoples wouldn't of known her test results but they knew she had returned from overseas ( this was before overseas returnees had to do motel supervised quarantine)

Reminds me of a guy in Mar., I believe, who had symptoms, had been tested, and was waiting for his results. Meanwhile, he flew from NY to FL. Turned his phone on when landing and saw his test results were positive. So that plane sat on the runway for awhile before anyone could disembark safely. I am not sure what happened to him besides that JetBlue banned him.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »

What a selfish woman. Hope she got a big fine for that.

$1000.

Was from Redhead in Lake Macquarie District in NSW - not Victoria.

sorry, Victorians - when I checked on google it was not in fact a Victorian town.