Tips on any exercise to build bigger legs and glutes

Hey,
I have been a body builder previously and did really well but i had alot of help with my training. I could do with some tips on different training techniques.
Thanks

Mel

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    The first thing that comes to mind would be hi rep squats - leg presses - think Tom Platz
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would prioritize variations of squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts, plus calf raises, leg press, lunges, kettlebell swings, abductions, kickbacks, hyperextensions, etc. And make sure you are working legs 2-3x per week.

You definitely do want to follow a progressive program if you are having issues trying to do it yourself. I followed Strong Curves which focuses mainly on glutes and had success (upper and legs are not as prioritized). There are many others though that have more balance overall. Here is a list depending on what you have access to
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    melia9mlf wrote: »
    Hey,
    I have been a body builder previously and did really well but i had alot of help with my training. I could do with some tips on different training techniques.
    Thanks

Mel

What level of bodybuilding were u at ?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    melia9mlf wrote: »
    Hey,
    Thanks

Mel

I would look at your training history first. If you did really well, work off of that.

Answers won't be helpful without knowing much more about you and how your respond to certain types of training, access to equipment, time available, etc...

Training techniques aren't magic. It always comes down to appropriate volume, average intensity, and load management to you as a individual. i encourage you to build of things that worked well and seek other avenues on how to reach your long term goals.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited May 2020
    Basically:

1) Eat more food/cals, including a greater % of protein to gain wt at a low/ moderate rate; you will have to gain wt overall to grow your legs/butt wc will include fat but you don't want to get excessively fat in the process.

2) When lifting, lift heavy and increase the wt progressively, low reps/sets; focus on deadlifts and squats and other leg/lower body dominant lifts; free wts better than machines.

3) Do exercises that force your legs & butt to WORK under LOAD, like weighted vest hikes, road or spin biking in low gear only, weighted hill/stair climbs, Farmers walks, tire flipping and sled pull/pushing.

However, as noted above by others above, the "devil is in the details."

How to go about doing these things to help you grow the legs/butt you want depends on WAY too many factors; more than anyone could suggest here.

So, if you don't have access to or the $ to hire an experienced trainer, you'll just have to muddle thru like the rest of us BUT there are TONS of info on this topic on the Net and I'd suggest that you search that data base w/the 3 ideas that I listed above in mind in order to plan a program that will work for you.

Good luck!