What might seem silly has some truth behind it.

Options
lexabeep
lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
What is something you learned about another cultures food or health trends that you have added to your life/ or just thought was interesting?
The Japanese swear by taking onsen( hot mineral baths), drinking green tea, eating pickled/fermented foods and are extremely active. They are obsessed with youth and smother themselves in collagen in side and out. They drink a lot and smoke excessively. Eat high calorie, non nutrient dense food. They even have a word describe filling their ‘second’ stomach. Of coarse they don’t always eat like this but their restaurants are full of foods like this. However they live the longest on the planet. They are doing some thing right!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Which island is this? What you describe just there sounds like an unsustainable fantasy.

I always find it interesting to see how different cultures have a combination of grain and vegetarian protein to come up with a complete protein, in spite of food science being a relatively late development for humans.
  • lexabeep
    edited May 2020
    Options

Oh no I just mean it is odd that they do those things and yet still have the longest life span on the planet. My bad in the wording!
    I dont think smoking excessively should be classed under "doing something right"
  • lexabeep
    Options
    Okay so I realize the wording might be mistaken for me thinking smoking, drinking and eating to excess is good for you. I DONT a think this. It’s just an observation that the Japanese also have these terrible habits along with some other really healthy cultural habits that does have some science behind the health benefits. Such as eating fermented foods being good for your gut health.
    And as I’ve mentioned above they have the longest average life span on the planet. They also do have an over all very healthy population. This data can all be found on through the WHO webpage and serval other web sources. Thanks for everyone’s comments thus far. I love learning new things an appreciate the contribution!
  • lexabeep
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Oh Bread and butter. It is my dessert to be honest. The French overall walk a lot too don’t they? Maybe that has something to do with it ;).
    The average French person eats 4 times as much butter as the average American, yet they have a much lower obesity rate. Lesson: eat more butter.

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    lexabeep wrote: »
    Oh no I just mean it is odd that they do those things and yet still have the longest life span on the planet. My bad in the wording!

'
    The devil is in the details. As usual.

Japan, has a highly homogeneous demographic and has the oldest age to mortality than most other countries. 84 years.

But, my zipcode in a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio is also quite homogeneous. Not like Japan, of course, but mostly white European ancestry and mostly prosperous. It has a life expectancy of 85.8.
  • lexabeep
    Options
    You should check out areas known as ‘blue zones.’ Japan has one in Okinawa. Several islands are know as ‘ lands of the immortals.’ And I think it used to have the largest population of centenarians in the world. I’m not sure but it always happens to be in one of these ‘blue zones’. That number is pretty amazing for your suburb. Must be a very healthy place to live! Lucky you.

'

But, my zipcode in a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio is also quite homogeneous. Not like Japan, of course, but mostly white European ancestry and mostly prosperous. It has a life expectancy of 85.8.

• beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Which island is this? What you describe just there sounds like an unsustainable fantasy.

I always find it interesting to see how different cultures have a combination of grain and vegetarian protein to come up with a complete protein, in spite of food science being a relatively late development for humans.

Ikaria.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options

It’s the Greek island of Ikaria.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    lexabeep wrote: »
    Oh Bread and butter. It is my dessert to be honest. The French overall walk a lot too don’t they? Maybe that has something to do with it ;).
    The average French person eats 4 times as much butter as the average American, yet they have a much lower obesity rate. Lesson: eat more butter.

They certainly do. A French friend of mine who is now a local here in America is astounded at how much driving we do to get normal things and go to a friends house. Our infrastructure isn’t built to accommodate a walking type of lifestyle, and it seems Europe is... or most of the world haha.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Our infrastructure isn’t built to accommodate a walking type of lifestyle, and it seems Europe is... or most of the world haha.

Largely true, but it depends specifically where you live. I am in the US, and can access most anything I want by foot (although going to the office in normal times requires a bike or public transit).