Protein Proportion (and other macro nutrients)

Options
Melampus
Melampus Posts: 95 Member
So, asking my question first, in the macro nutrient pie chart available both on the website (at the end of the Food page) and in the app, do I take it that the proportions are by weight as figures elsewhere seem to be by weight (in grams in my case)? How does one convert from macro nutrient proportions by weight to the proportion of calories obtained from each of the macro nutrients and vice versa?

The background to this is that there is an article in the New Scientist looking at appetite: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24632831-400-you-have-five-appetites-not-one-and-they-are-the-key-to-your-health/

You'd need a subscription to read it but, in summary, research has been conducted among various species from locusts to primates and humans and found that, when allowed to browse a variety of food, individuals eat the right amount of all the macro nutrients but when choice is restricted to a single food they eat the right amount of protein regardless of whether that means eating too much or too little of fat and carbs.

The implication here is that we are more likely to be hungry and struggle not to eat more calories than we use if we eat too little protein. This also links with the experience of a colleague at work who reported that loosing excess weight was easy - as long as he kept his protein intake up he didn't feel hungry.

So, obviously, I would like to check my protein intake, compare with the figures in the article, and see how that affects hunger or saity but that article is working in proportion of calories from protein and, as I said, I suspect My Fitness Pal is working in proportion by weight.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Suspicion is close as it's a percentage of calories as calculated by weight and activity level.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Melampus wrote: »
    How does one convert from macro nutrient proportions by weight to the proportion of calories obtained from each of the macro nutrients and vice versa?

1g protein/carb = 4 cal, 1g fat = 9 cal

1200 cal @ 40% p = 480 p calories (1200x.4).
    480p calories / 4cal/g = 120g protein.

Vice versa;

50g fat x 9cal/g = 450 cal
    Divide macro calories by daily cal goal (1350, for example)
    450f calories / 1350 daily total = 1/3 =.333 = 33%