Difference in calorie count

jlj5115
jlj5115 Posts: 1 Member
I’ve noticed that 2 medium fried eggs have a much lower calorie count than 2 medium scrambled eggs! Why would that be true. Both are prepared with oil or butter. I don’t get it.

Anyone have an explanation? I’d be very interested.

Thanks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    In addition, the size of the egg, and the liquid (like milk) used in scrambled eggs varies. Some people put other stuff on their scrambled eggs like cheese, cottage cheese, etc. The entry was right for THEM on THAT day.

You can go to the USDA nutrition site online for correct entries. You can enter a new food yourself from labeling, or you can continue to scroll through the current entries and look for one that's closer to what you think it should be.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    jlj5115 wrote: »
    I’ve noticed that 2 medium fried eggs have a much lower calorie count than 2 medium scrambled eggs! Why would that be true. Both are prepared with oil or butter. I don’t get it.

Thanks.

The way around this is to enter the parts you use to make your eggs separately. When I do scrambled, I log 2 eggs, 2 tsp butter, and 2 tablespoons milk. That way I know exactly what I am eating and how many calories. I really don't trust any entry created by a person unless it is taking nutrition info off a label.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    jlj5115 wrote: »

Thanks.

Don't select entries like that...those are just some random persons entry for their scrambled or fried eggs. Log the parts separately...the eggs you are using and the quantity of oil. Logically, how could fried eggs have any one particular calorie count in a database when the amount of oil and size of egg would be variable.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The way around this is to enter the parts you use to make your eggs separately. When I do scrambled, I log 2 eggs, 2 tsp butter, and 2 tablespoons milk. That way I know exactly what I am eating and how many calories. I really don't trust any entry created by a person unless it is taking nutrition info off a label.

If you make this the same way every time you could obviously enter it as a personal recipe.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Melampus wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

If you make this the same way every time you could obviously enter it as a personal recipe.

Or set it as a meal.