Anyone Got Back On Their Bike (after a long break) or Started Cycling During Lockdown?

AlanKmfp
AlanKmfp Posts: 57 Member
I used to cycle a fair bit as a teenager but from about 20 on I didn't ride at all until I bought a bike in my late 30's and did a few years of leisure cycling. Not sure why I stopped but until lockdown I hadn't ridden for about 8 years.

Like many others during lockdown I've dug my ancient, rusting bike out and whilst I've not done many miles (my goal is a mere 50 per month) but I've been enjoying it.

Would be good to find a few friends on here with a similar interest.... feel free to add me!

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Never stopped cycling actually. My husband and I bought recumbent trikes a few years ago and we live close to several rail/trails. They are much safer and the trikes make long rides much easier. He used to be a competitive cyclist in college but after five back surgeries could no longer do the upright bikes. Trikes are safe (hard to wreck) and comfortable to ride. Planning on going for a two hour ride today. Living in Indiana so we don't get to ride year round, but start in March as soon as the weather allows and go through October usually.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    When the bike bug bites it bites hard. I've been cycling for around 6 years or something. I use it for everything, I ended riding so much I got rid of my car too. I come from a running background but wanted something more low-impact, so the bike was only natural. Speaking of impact, just wear your helmet too, you prolly do but it can be sketchy as hell. The longest I took off was probably around 4 months after being hit by a car and breaking my patella. I get a be loco without my time in the saddle.

Chapeu!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I sold my bicycle to help fund the purchase of a "sports moped" (now that's an oxymoron!) at age 16 and motorcycling became my only riding. Only started cycling again regularly at age 42 when I ran away screaming from my first career and bought myself a MTB as a leaving present.
    Worked up from short local circuits to doing charity rides up to 60 miles on the old beast.

Things escalated at age 52 with purchase of better bike(s) which allowed me to broaden my horizons and ride much further. I seem to have collected a nice fleet of bikes and it's my main hobby now I'm retired.

A link that you might like:

There's a Strava challenge group -
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfp-cycling-challenge-group-179287

See you have found the monthly cycling thread here on MyFitnessPal (but others may like it too) -
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10794323/may-2020-biking-cycling-bicycling-bike-bicycle-unicycle-tricycle-challenge#latest
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I stopped riding for serval months due to an injury and I'm coming back. I did 60 miles last week which isn't that much but I'm happy to be able to.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Somewhat coincidental on timing, but I started back earlier this year with my eye set on Sprint Tri’s (just to see if I could do it). Like several others I am sure, I lived on my bike until I got my license and then it got put away. My college campus was small so no need for it there either. Then marriage, babies, etc. At 35 I am getting back to it! Did 12 miles this morning as part of a virtual Sprint Tri - whoop whoop! Still getting over my fear of riding on the road, but with a rear view mirror I feel much better. Definitely a helmet, I am going to be shopping around for something different. I just bought something Co rap at WalMart only to find it rubs weird and leaves funky marks on my forehead. I am still riding my old Cannondale my pre at bought for me at 10 or 11 (they bought it a touch big, plus I stopped growing at 12... guy at the bike shop confirmed it still fit me fine).

My dad will be 70 this year and used to be an avid MTBer, struggled with some health stuff the last couple years but is finally feeling better! Thanks to MFP he has lost significant weight and is even contemplating joining a bike club this year! (Well, I gues he WAS contemplating... thanks COVID).
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    I've been using my bike more now. But I am not a racer, I'm always taking it easy and I don't bike long distances. It's fun to get some different exercise though.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I'm not much of a bike kind of girl, but my husband got me an amazing bike recently. I haven't been out to ride it yet however.

The weather hasn't been the best lately, but I'm looking forward to getting on it especially when my favourite parks open up. I love trying new things with my fitness routine.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I ride some these days. Got reacquainted with cycling in 2013 during recovery from a running injury. As I became interested in triathlon, my cycling ramped up quite a bit. This year, given cancelled races, I'm mostly just riding for fun. I typically ride a few days/week indoors and often a 30-50 mile outdoor ride on weekends.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I've owned a few bicycles in my day but never rode them any distance on the open road. However, I am thinking about buying a folding ebike to use as alternate short term/distance transportation.

It had nothing to do w/the Covid-19 crisis but I just started rowing and spin biking again after 6 month hiatus due to treatment for a degenerative elbow.

The treatment didn't work so I can't do pushups, pullups, BPs/OHPs or any similar weighted movements that severely stress the elbow anymore but can still row and do certain dumbbell routines and am think about buying a Concept2 Skierg for an alternate upper (and lower) body workout option.

• AlanKmfp
    sijomial wrote: »

A link that you might like:

There's a Strava challenge group -
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfp-cycling-challenge-group-179287

See you have found the monthly cycling thread here on MyFitnessPal (but others may like it too) -
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10794323/may-2020-biking-cycling-bicycling-bike-bicycle-unicycle-tricycle-challenge#latest

Thanks, just joined the Strava group. The photo's on your profile are inspirational :-)

• AlanKmfp
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I'm not much of a bike kind of girl, but my husband got me an amazing bike recently. I haven't been out to ride it yet however.

The weather hasn't been the best lately, but I'm looking forward to getting on it especially when my favourite parks open up. I love trying new things with my fitness routine.

Good Luck. Enjoy!!
  • AlanKmfp
    JasmijnRF wrote: »
    I've been using my bike more now. But I am not a racer, I'm always taking it easy and I don't bike long distances. It's fun to get some different exercise though.

Yep, get that. Very much a leisure and fitness thing for me (guess some of the attraction is also the nostalgia of childhood bike rides).

I guess whether it's for leisure, sport, fitness, travel; whether the goal is 200 miles per month, 2 miles per month or mileage is not even recorded the important thing is that there is a level of enjoyment / achievement gleaned.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Restarted running in March, coincidently with the shut down, for traning for the atlantic city marathon in October.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2020
    I've had three "bike lives" - as a kid, as an adult in my late 20s into 30s (until "Dad life" kicked in LOL) and when I retired early 3yrs ago. While my earlier adult phase was interesting and exciting - road touring, bike vacations, etc., this current phase is moreso. In addition to local riding for fun, exercise and errands, I've hauled my bike from my home in central, coastal NJ south to the FL Keys and north to Ontario, with riding stops along the way. This is the way retirement should be, LOL. Except of course, with the covid-19 lockdown. No riding since March. I'm a high-risk category guy.

Don't worry the miles, ride your ride. If you want, distance will come with continued riding ("... some ride hard, some ride long ..."). When I started this latest phase, 3 yrs ago, I was between 70-80lbs heavier and riding a mile was a big deal. That changed. Riding didn't *cause* the weight loss, at least exclusively - it takes both activity and dietary modification - but the realization that hauling an overlarge butt up hills would be much easier if it weren't so overlarge is a good motivator, LOL.

Picture is on the High Bridge Trail, Farmville, VA (crosses the Appomattox River and was a battle site at the end of the Civil War).

9e91acx2frxd.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    Never stopped cycling actually. My husband and I bought recumbent trikes a few years ago and we live close to several rail/trails. They are much safer and the trikes make long rides much easier. He used to be a competitive cyclist in college but after five back surgeries could no longer do the upright bikes. Trikes are safe (hard to wreck) and comfortable to ride. Planning on going for a two hour ride today. Living in Indiana so we don't get to ride year round, but start in March as soon as the weather allows and go through October usually.

I rented a trike in the Tampa/Clearwater area (Dunedin actually, to ride the Pinellas Trail to Tarpon Springs) last year to try out. At age 65yo, I figure it is possible that balance might become an issue sooner or later (I'm riding a conventional 2-wheeled bike now). It was an interesting experience, and I learned a fair amount from a single day's ride (about the trike experience, and a few things about what I'd prefer if/when I buy my own).
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    I got back on the bike for the first time since I was a student (which is more than 20yr ago!) at the end of March.

I ride with my husband, who prefers riding to running, and average 4x35-40km rides a week. (He goes most days, but I still have to go to work...) I’ve clocked up a total of nearly 1000km now, mostly on road but also off road tracks/ bridleways and canal paths.

Really enjoying it. However, I did learn (the hard way 😣) how important proper cycling shorts are...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    AlanKmfp wrote: »
    I used to cycle a fair bit as a teenager but from about 20 on I didn't ride at all until I bought a bike in my late 30's and did a few years of leisure cycling. Not sure why I stopped but until lockdown I hadn't ridden for about 8 years.

Like many others during lockdown I've dug my ancient, rusting bike out and whilst I've not done many miles (my goal is a mere 50 per month) but I've been enjoying it.

Would be good to find a few friends on here with a similar interest.... feel free to add me!

I was an avid cyclist in my youth but took about a 20 year hiatus, between work & kids.....you've probably heard the story before. In my late 40s I decided I was unacceptably out of shape, started running & eventually joined a triathlon club. I also discovered, through my running, that we have MUPs about 500m from my front door.

With the physical distancing recommendations and all of the races being canceled I haven't done a lot of outdoor cycling so far this year and when I do ride it's usually at the crack of dawn to avoid crowds.

It's a great way to get some fresh air and exercise. Have fun now that you're back in the saddle.

• AlanKmfp

I was an avid cyclist in my youth but took about a 20 year hiatus, between work & kids.....you've probably heard the story before. In my late 40s I decided I was unacceptably out of shape, started running & eventually joined a triathlon club. I also discovered, through my running, that we have MUPs about 500m from my front door.

With the physical distancing recommendations and all of the races being canceled I haven't done a lot of outdoor cycling so far this year and when I do ride it's usually at the crack of dawn to avoid crowds.

It's a great way to get some fresh air and exercise. Have fun now that you're back in the saddle.

Thanks Brian.
  • mjbnj0001
    AlanKmfp wrote: »

... Like many others during lockdown I've dug my ......... ancient, rusting bike ......... out and whilst I've not done many miles (my goal is a mere 50 per month) but I've been enjoying it.

The picture I posted above is my "now" bike. My earlier bike - which I loved, but was no longer right for me - I sold this week to an eager rider. See below picture. I'm posting this so that you can see an older bike (mine is from 1983 and lived a while in my garage) can be spiffed up pretty well, and fairly easily. There are plenty of Youtube videos (and other sources, such as REI) on cleaning and doing basic maintaining a bike for riding. It'll make a world of difference in your riding experience (and safety). I don't know how it is by you, but my bike shop has been swamped with service requests as people un-garage their old bikes. It helps to know the basics yourself.

At least my old friend got a last burst of sunlight to shine in when I took her to her new owner this past weekend.

Good luck and happy riding!

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/pre-ride-inspection.html

ou0iip9olkmc.jpg