Help, I am out of mayo and *need* a sandwich spread

amy19355
amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
I was stuck on a boat, days away from a cooler-reprovisioning and was forced into creative cooking:

3 tbs Cashew butter mixed in with a diced apple, and a generous helping of your favorite curry seasoning.

this is a super delicious sandwich spread with some chicken breast on whole grain bread.

if we'd had any leftover, I'm sure we could have found other ways to purpose it in a recipe.

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Two good galley/provisioning/recipe books:

"The Essential Galley Companion," Amanda Swan-Neal. Mahina Expeditions Press.

"The Boat Galley Cookbook," Carolyn Shearlock and Jan Irons. International Marine/McGraw-Hill.

The first has been our go-to for years. The second we just picked up this fall at the Annapolis sail show. Met the author at her booth.

Also by Carolyn Shearlock, "Storing Food Without Refrigeration" has a lot of advice. Blue River Press.

Happy voyaging.

PS - your spread sounds interesting; will have to try it.
  • Userm3087
    Userm3087 Posts: 1 Member
    Dukes Mayonnaise
  • cindymatus9
    cindymatus9 Posts: 1 Member
    Hummus! I also use it with turkey and lettuce wraps. Delicious.
  • jem7153
    jem7153 Posts: 1 Member
    Avocado mashed up. Also tastes good if you add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    I make tomato jam for my sandwiches. It's got a kick, and it's delicious with chicken or Turkey. Also good with cheese and crackers
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Avocado, cream cheese, hummus, olive tapinade...
  • ehleeda
    ehleeda Posts: 13 Member
    Drain, rinse the Puree cooked white northern beans, a bit of olive oil...add garlic, or chilli powder n cumin, or bbq flavoring,
    or dill, any seasoning profile really.... .... and spread thinly.
  • HamsterCakes
    HamsterCakes Posts: 3 Member
    I know this post is very old but if i want to substitute mayo i always use plain yogurt. Plain Greek yogurt is even better if you can find it in your supermarket. You can even use low fat .
  • dietoctober
    dietoctober Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2020
    Oh geez, editing now, I just realized this thread may be about sandwich spreads when you don't have access to a refrigerator. I'll leave my post regardless, since, I typed it all out. :)

Greek yogurt blended with a bit of Whole Grain, Dijon mustard or yellow mustard to taste; optional pinch of paprika, white pepper (or black), tad pinch of sweetener & if needed, salt. If you don't have mustard, a bit of pickle juice from the pickle jar & a pinch of sweetener to cut the sourness works also. I make a mild horseradish blend also.

Softened from refrigeration, Nuefchatel (cream cheese) sprinkled with seasonings is a really nice variation to mayo.

I have even used ricotta cheese when I am in a hurry & don't feel like messing with anything.

>>> For Amy, on the boat without a fridge/cooler. That spread sounds wonderful! I enjoy mild curry in unordinary ways, just a pinch in even sweet dishes is really nice!

In a bind, if the bread is hearty & dense, I would bet a very thin layer of healthy oil & either sweet or savory seasonings/spices, might be tasty on a sandwich too. :) <<<

• amieelizabeth82
    amieelizabeth82 Posts: 5 Member
    I know this post is very old but if i want to substitute mayo i always use plain yogurt. Plain Greek yogurt is even better if you can find it in your supermarket. You can even use low fat .

Yep I used this today for a tuna sandwich.
  • suncakemom
    suncakemom Posts: 9 Member
    2 tablespoon sour cream with 1 teaspoon dijon mustard. Sprinkle a bit of scallion or chives on top if you have any.
    Greek yogurt with a bit of finely diced cucumber also makes a delicious option.
  • Auggiebrn
    Auggiebrn Posts: 1 Member
    Veganayse is really good and a great substitute.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    I've tried peanut butter on a variety of sandwich types, and it works on practically everything.