walk for weight loss run for fitness

bakrueger61
bakrueger61 Posts: 3 Member
if your in this for weight loss you're better off walking. if you're in this for maintenance or fitness than run. my experience is i do one or the other I loose the same amount of weight but with running I am always more hungry. with walking I am not as hungry and my knees aren't achy all the time. I walk an hour a day at least 5 times a week. IF 18/6 low carb and have lost over 20lbs in 3 weeks. walk for weight loss run for fitness

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I run as a part of my weight loss journey but I do have to keep the miles lower. When I was in the later part of my half-marathon training I was just in maintenance mode because all my running did make me super hungry! I know people who successfully lost weight even with the higher mileage though. It just depends on the individual.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Happy to hear you're having a good experience so far with your progress.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I would probably be super hungry too if I was trying to run when eating low carb at a rate to lose 20 pounds in 3 weeks.

To second a comment above, I find that I get hungry in the later stages of marathon training when mileage is very high. But for normal amounts of running? Not really any crazy hunger issues (unless I’m not eating enough overall).

We are all different though and what we like and what fits our lifestyles and preferences will vary. Glad you’ve found something that works for you. Just wouldn’t want people thinking that’s is the only way.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Running burns more than twice as many calories than walking per mile. And considering walking the same distance takes a lot longer than running one needs to have some time for that. But any movement is great for health, and it sounds like you found something that works for you. Brilliant.
  • Suzettedl
    Suzettedl Posts: 30 Member
    I agree! Whenever I do intense workouts I find I gain weight because of hunger. Walking seems to be helpful for me as well.