Price gauge

Has anyone else noticed how the cost of fitness equipment has all but tripled in cost?
I have observed people who are selling rust and ratty stuff for way more than it is worth.

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    With gyms/fitness venues being closed and the price of new stuff skyrocketing, people are buying whatever they can find that will get the job done, and the market demand is driving prices.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Ya I've been seeing it for sure. It ticks me off.
    Also I'm mad at myself for, the week before lockdown, seeing a set of weights at the store and thinking oh I will buy them next time. Then everything went crazy.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    I will admit I have gloated a bit to the people who told me setting up a home gym was a waste of money. Okay, maybe a lot.
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    I ordered some exercise resistance bands. I have watched several youtube videos of bodybuilders using them and I am digging it. I basically can do every exercise I would normally do in the gym with them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I once lived in a 400m^2 villa (Middle East, it's considered small). Before moving I was dreaming of my home gym and all the cool stuff I could buy for the inevitable empty bedroom. I brought along a really fab, thick and big workout mat and two kettlebells. I bought a big ball, and a big bag including stand for boxing. The ball remained mainly unused, the big bag was cool, but I didn't use it that much. The mat and kettlebells though... I just replaced the mat for the same and still have and use the kettlebells. There's really no need to spend $$$ on workout stuff. Just a good floormat and some creativity for bodyweight exercises.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I'll never understand the way people use the Disagree button. It would seem so much simpler to state your point of contention in order to allow for dialogue and learning on all sides.

In the interim, I entertain myself with assumptions that the disagreements are on the most tangential aspects of a person's comment. Like, they disagree with @Whydahdad71's use of YouTube and/or @yirara's Middle Eastern villa.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    And after derailing the thread with something entirely unrelated-prices are sky high on everything that currently has high demand. Even higher on things that have high demand and low supply. Some things are theoretically protected and there are investigations and what not-but last week a bottle of Airborne gummies was retailing for $48 on amazon. For real? That should be $10 tops.

Do you have to wear a mask where you live? $40 for a box that would have cost $5 3 months ago.

Fitness equipment isn’t super cheap to begin with - and now it’s in HUGE demand (and some limited supply/ability to ship).

The price is what the market will support. If people are willing to pay the listed price for the rusted, ratty stuff-then sadly, that’s what it’s worth.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I'll never understand the way people use the Disagree button. It would seem so much simpler to state your point of contention in order to allow for dialogue and learning on all sides.

In the interim, I entertain myself with assumptions that the disagreements are on the most tangential aspects of a person's comment. Like, they disagree with @Whydahdad71's use of YouTube and/or @yirara's Middle Eastern villa.

Yeah, it's really, really strange. I should stop thinking about it, but can't stop to be amused. It the new 'haters gonna hate' I guess.
  • Whydahdad71
    I belong to a daily fantasy sports site that has a "dislike" button. This button was always being clicked by arm chair heroes until the site placed the person name next to their "dislike", then the behavior was cut in half almost immediately. Back to the fitness equipment...
    I received a new pair of exercise bands yesterday and am absolutely amazed by how many exercises I can do with them! Not just go through the motions but actually" train hard"! They were about $60.00 (got two of them) and am thinking about getting two more. When looking at weights (used) to accomplish the same things the price is about 10x the cost! No thanks..not a rich man here.
  • Whydahdad71
    WOW!!!!! I bought my home gym in October for $999 (I missed a sale that made it about $100 less from a competitor). I just looked out of curiosity and it is now selling for $3,500!!!! Get out of town! Interesting post, thanks!

It is absolutely crazy what they are trying to get for this stuff right now.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited May 2020
    People always want to buy equipment to help with fitness goals - but then the equipment tends to turn into a coat rack or a trip hazard — when people are outside the gym, the best alternative is body weight fitness - and it’s free

Ah another thread where the herbalife icon hasn't actually read the OP.

As to the original question - supply and demand, and ethical flexibility.
  • Whydahdad71
    cerad2 wrote: »
    On the positive side, assuming the pandemic ever comes under control, there will be a plethora of lightly used high end equipment available for purchase at discount prices.

This is spot on.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    I am kicking myself for not buying an ez curl bar in January. It's one of the rare times that being afraid to spend money has not worked in my advantage.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I was looking at dumbbells on amazon and they're the same pricing as they were months ago...so I guess I'm not really seeing price gouging.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Pointing out that typing even one sentence to explain one's disagreement is not "simpler" than clicking disagree turns out, unsurprisingly, not to be simpler than clicking disagree.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    *snip*
    Pointing out that typing even one sentence to explain one's disagreement is not "simpler" than clicking disagree turns out, unsurprisingly, not to be simpler than clicking disagree.

I disagree 😉 I mentioned "...in order to allow for dialogue and learning on all sides."

The presupposition being that clear dialogue is less likely by pressing a sour-faced, grey emoji.

Therefore, clicking it - as opposed to stating the point of disagreement - ends up being more complicated or complex than necessary for many conversations.

Thank you for taking part in this dialogue lol #refreshing

Also @Whydahdad71 it's great to hear that you have made the best of the market realities and found an alternative you seem to like!