Oh god I binged! I destroyed everything!!!

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
Maybe this title got your attention.

I had somewhat of a bad day yesterday: wanted to go somewhere but didn't feel like it (we're in smart lockdown here, thus I can go out smartly), wanted to catch up with some work that I should have done last week but could not connect to my work computer via remote desktop. Saw a big bag of crisps at supermarket... well, it went downhill from there.

Mind you, I knew what I was doing and enjoyed it. I also knew that the influence on my weight, which I've mostly been maintaining since 2015 will be minimal. I'm just writing this to tell people: don't panic! A single binge will not destroy everything, will not stop weight loss, will not make you regain all the weight.

Don't beat up yourself for it, don't punish yourself, just accept it happened and move on. Might also be worth thinking of why it happened. Just a *kitten* day? Those happen to all of us. Or is your deficit too large or you work out too much without giving your body the rest it needs? Then I urge you to reconsider your choices; eat more, work out less and with sufficient regeneration breaks. Yes, your weight will be higher the next day, but much of it will be water weight from for example more salt or carbs. This will drop in a few days again. Plus there's so much more waste in your intestines, which of course also has weight, and also holds water of course as a solid mass of waste doesn't really move forward, right? Also this will go down in a few days again. No worries.

Replies

• positiveyou146
    positiveyou146 Posts: 7 Member
    Wouldn’t beat yourself up over a odd blip - accept it, make adjustments to not make it happen again, learn from it and move on —- too many people over think, then criticise themselves, then think what’s the point I may as well just eat — then do the regret, self destruction and down until a new surge to lose fat again — So just move on and start the next day as a new day everyday -
    Good luck
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    but could not connect to my work computer via remote desktop

One somewhat unexpected outcome of covid-19 was the revelation of just how often my workplace lost power. UPS appeared almost by magic after a few weeks of "please power on my computer" calls.
  • yirara
    cerad2 wrote: »
    but could not connect to my work computer via remote desktop

One somewhat unexpected outcome of covid-19 was the revelation of just how often my workplace lost power. UPS appeared almost by magic after a few weeks of "please power on my computer" calls.

It's amazing how poorly the whole IT infrastructure runs when a while company is run remotely. I still can't log into the exchange server with skype because IT stopped supporting it and had planned a migration to Teams for the week the lockdown was imposed. For some reason the country settings for Office are different via remote desktop, which sucks if you work a lot with numbers. Office workstations suddenly switching off because... well, nobody really knows. Anyway, I had a lovely chocolate croissant today! If the weather improves somewhat I might go running. Otherwise I don't.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    So . . . report back on the scale-weight aftermath, if willing? Through to the drop off? ;)
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Sometimes, an over feed leads to a little dip on the scale! Happened to me last night. Went over by 450ish cals yesterday and bam scale weight dropped 1 lb. I have no idea why
  • yirara
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So . . . report back on the scale-weight aftermath, if willing? Through to the drop off? ;)

The gain was super modest, exactly 1kg (2.2lbs I think?). Stay tuned
  • yirara
    alexmose wrote: »
    Sometimes, an over feed leads to a little dip on the scale! Happened to me last night. Went over by 450ish cals yesterday and bam scale weight dropped 1 lb. I have no idea why

Yep, I noticed this as well in the past. Eat a small bag of crisps, and I'd be lighter the next morning. My guess: it's the fat in the crisps that moves things along and basically reduces poop-weight
  • AnnPT77
    yirara wrote: »

Yep, I noticed this as well in the past. Eat a small bag of crisps, and I'd be lighter the next morning. My guess: it's the fat in the crisps that moves things along and basically reduces poop-weight

That, and/or potentially that cortisol/weight-release thing that some people seem to see with refeeds, maybe?

(Thanks for reporting the scale effects: I think that helps the over-stressed readers you're aiming for to actually realize the truth of what you're saying . . . and it is gospel, for sure. We'll eagerly await the next chapter! :) ).
  • yirara
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That, and/or potentially that cortisol/weight-release thing that some people seem to see with refeeds, maybe?

(Thanks for reporting the scale effects: I think that helps the over-stressed readers you're aiming for to actually realize the truth of what you're saying . . . and it is gospel, for sure. We'll eagerly await the next chapter! :) ).

We certainly need a :D like at the bottom of comments.

You might be right with the cortisol effect as well. Aaages ago, when I just started working after uni I noticed the same effect when drinking a huge glass of full-fat milk. I wasn't dieting (I never dieted before coming here) but a bit less weight would have been great. So I thought: cool, milk has magic properties. So I had a huge glass of milk every now and then and when I did weight on consecutive days noticed a small drop. Only inbetween my weight was going up slowly :D
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Thanks for this @yirara. I've been holding back from opening some M&S extremely chocolately dark chocolate biscuits. I might just have one. Or two!
  • yirara
    Weight is down to where it was before the binge again.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    As you expected! And you got to enjoy the big bag of crisps which is a good boost, mentally, too.

I only weigh once a week and, despite multiple chocolate biscuits a few days ago, I still weigh the same as I did last week (I'm also in maintenance). I didn't bother getting on the scales the next day as I knew any blip would be temporary anyway.
  • yirara
    I'm a number girl. I had to know. Plus I'm logging my weight in three different apps every morning for some reason. OCD anyone? :D Nah, just Fitbit, MFP, and for a trend Happy Scale.
  • AnnPT77
    Weight is down to where it was before the binge again.

I hope whoever clicked "disagree" on this did it accidentally while scrolling on a touch-screen.

If it's someone who doesn't believe your back at your starting weight . . . Hmm. Based on nearly 5 years of logging experience, what you report is exactly what I'd experience in similar circumstances, and have experienced any number of times.

Even posted about it before: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope#latest

But I did weigh 129.4 this morning: Maybe 2017's overfeed finally caught up with me in 2020! :lol:
  • yirara
    edited May 2020
    There's always someone who disagrees @AnnPT77 It's as if we have people who follow everything we write and just hit Disagree out of spite :D Edit: mind you, I got 4 big fat disagrees in the opening post :D
    Actually, I might be a wee bit lower tomorrow even, considering how often I still went to the loo today. We'll see.
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2020
    *kitten* it
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    Sometimes I wonder..... I often doze off while scrolling the boards. And because I’m right handed, I jerk awake to find my finger in that area.

Maybe I’m a conginetal narcoleptic disagreer? If it’s me, mega apologies.
  • yirara
    Don't worry @springlering62 I don't mind Disagrees.