Replies

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    edited May 2020
    Bit of climbing today🙂
    5wbdltl7s19p.png

• Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    6 mile run, average 8:42 mile (personal best!)
    30 min yoga
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Sun 5/24

10 miles on mountain bike.. got a good workout but not as vigorous as my normal. Still recovering from my wipe out yesterday, plus it was raining and a bit slick.

35 Chin ups, 110 Push ups ( both in sets to failure.)
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    A 16km bike ride this morning which included going up and over the scenic Jacques Cartier Bridge. Got in 10k steps. MFP says this is like 1,200 calories of exercise so far so my "real workout" - using my aquabag for some creative drop sets - is on hold til tomorrow because I can't even eat back half those calories easily this late in the evening without indigestion lol

4ethntg37v6k.jpg
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    An hour row today followed by installing 18 solar lights into concrete in the AZ sun! My dog, Toby, had his appointment -- they think just allergies or sinusitis -- so that's a huge relief for me. His nose is still all chapped and crusty but getting better with Nose Butter (like an ointment).

The solar installs took 5 hours in the hot sun. Can't wait to see the lights this evening. I installed a nice long solar light on each concrete post lining both sides of the yard and solar security around the perimeters.

I'm exhausted but going to some friends who have been stuck at home social distancing as well. Will just sit on their patio and talk and have a drink (from a distance).
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited May 2020
    Mike - good news about the dog!

Yesterday was a lot of exercise....

I did an hour's yoga just after breakfast. In the afternoon, I did leg day. This was about 40 minutes warm up with stretches, bands and jump rope. The lifting was:
    1. Squat, 5 sets of 5, 70 kgs
    2. Deadlift, 5 sets of 5, 100 kgs
    3. Unweighted pistols
    4. Lunges, 32 kgs (16 kgs kettlebell in each hand)

I did core stuff to warm down. I think I may have got a ring front lever! :) It's my first one - I only held it for at most a couple of seconds, so I don't know if it counts.

In the evening, I got a rather nice walk in. The public path goes through the polo club, where I feel I don't belong.... My total steps were over 20,000 for the day.

76hc0902xwll.jpg

Today, I've done an hour of yoga. I need to be in the house at the moment, as a carpenter is building my climbing wall. So hopefully tonight's exercise will be climbing - if not, it will be hangboarding.
  • nighthawk584
    Mon 5/25

MORNING
    33 Chin ups, 110 Push ups (both in sets to failure.)

12.3 miles on mountain bike trails. Today, I was ALMOST back to normal intensity. Felt good.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Just a couple of walks today. Taking a break from the iron.

I also highly recommend the podcast iron culture. They sarcastically put lifting and swole above everything, including family, workplace, values, etc.

The podcast has essentially made me realize that my decision to finish high school attend college has cemented my fate to never be a bodybuilder. And it really cascaded from there with the whole valuing of GPA, finding a job, enjoying my family and putting them ahead of my physique, etc. However, I CAN flip it around by quitting my job, never having children, and abandoning all hobbies. ;)
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited May 2020
    3.5 mile run, got my fastest time doing that loop! My run felt great today 😁

Going to get in a quick 10 minute arm workout and some tai chi later.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Did another full 5K today, but cut a minute off my time. Trying to up the speed a hair each week, see if I can get that down closer to a 30:00 min 5K. I'm slower than most when I run, but I'm avoiding injury and getting from Point A to Point B with no issues and no stopping so I'm not complaining!

Threw in a short yoga session at the end to cool down and stretch. Enjoying what yoga is doing for me. Never been this flexible in my whole life and my back has been much better as a result!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I ran 5k today and was 2.5 minutes faster than last time. No idea what happened exactly, but I really, really enjoyed this one.
  • drmwc
    edited May 2020
    My front lever approach was to start with legs tucked; then extend the the legs but keep them up and apart; lower them so I was flat; bring them together. I'm nowhere near strong enough to get there directly.

Today, I did an hour's yoga before breakfast.

In the afternoon, my climbing wall was finished. So I spent a fun hour scrambling up and down it.

My skin is deconditioned. I got around 3 flappers per hand. Normally I would tape them up, as a courtesy to other climbers. But there are no other climbers - it is in my garden. So I just bled over the holds.

It was intense, so all I was good for afterwards was a walk.

1z9b0rf53lrp.jpg

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    briscogun wrote: »
    Did another full 5K today, but cut a minute off my time. Trying to up the speed a hair each week, see if I can get that down closer to a 30:00 min 5K. I'm slower than most when I run, but I'm avoiding injury and getting from Point A to Point B with no issues and no stopping so I'm not complaining!

Threw in a short yoga session at the end to cool down and stretch. Enjoying what yoga is doing for me. Never been this flexible in my whole life and my back has been much better as a result!

Congrats on making the 5k distance a regular part of your running.

If you're looking to gain speed, I'd suggest gradually increasing your weekly long run distance. Increasing to a 10k distance over the course of a few months would lead to a faster 5k time as a happy by product.
  • MikePfirrman
    Great wall Matt!!

Just easy day today. Did around a 12 mile bike ride with the wife (very casual) and swam for around an hour.
  • MaltedTea
    @drmwc Are your neighbours curious about your climbing wall? Or have they asked to try it? How do you ensure no rando teens try using it when you're sleeping or out of the house?

I have so many questions lol At the end of the day, it looks like so much fun though!!
  • MaltedTea
    * 5 km cycling loop (was running an errand over my lunch hour and tried tackling a new hill: an abandoned/under construction tunnel shortcut to the downtown strip). I'll beat that sucker before summer's over
    * Stair climbing with an aqua bag at 25% of my bodyweight. Deadlifts going up. Squats coming down. It was supposed to be floor presses on the way up but, like, eww germs. Hence the substitution. I will do floor press tomorrow.
    * Barely 5k steps. I'm trying to reduce non-essential cardio for the next few days as I try a gluten-free eating regimen.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Did a 2K W/U today, then 8 X 500m/1 rest on the rower. 2K C/D, so 8K total. This is a "fast" interval workout, one of the hardest. At peak form, I was doing 12 X 500m/1 rest @ a low 1:50 pace. Today was 2:01 pace. First five or so were under 2:00 pace, then couldn't hold the last few. HR was well over 90% max on the last few reps. Now at least I have a "benchmark".

Work in progress. Felt good to blow a little smoke out of the engine. Will get some sort of lift in later this evening.
  • nighthawk584
    Tue 5/26

MORNING
    45 min spin bike, very vigorous.
    35 chin ups, 100 push ups (sets to failure)

No mountain bike today because of rain, but had the best 45 min session on my spin bike since I started! Hitting the trails really helped my stamina and power. Love it!
  • drmwc
    I did an hour's climbing over lunch. I managed to film one effort:

https://youtu.be/u0TE27h_X9E

The yellow holds are pretty terrible, hence me taking my time before cocking up a move and cutting loose. I managed to stay on, but only just.

I have crash pads out of view at the bottom, so falling is no big deal.
  • drmwc
    edited May 2020
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    @drmwc Are your neighbours curious about your climbing wall? Or have they asked to try it? How do you ensure no rando teens try using it when you're sleeping or out of the house?

I have so many questions lol At the end of the day, it looks like so much fun though!!

One neighbour nipped round for a look. She is scared of heights, so didn't fancy a go. It is hidden behind a bush, so shouldn't impact their views too much.

It's possible someone may break in to use it. That hadn't actually occurrred to me. As long as I am not liable for any injuries they get, it is not too much of a big deal.

It is quite a middle class area, so hopefully it's not too high probability.