Calorie adjustment

SiyaManqele
SiyaManqele Posts: 18 Member
edited May 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
wvucgxjau1hf.jpg

Please help me understand how I burn 827 calories from my exercise but end up on a loosing end of - 75 after this "adjustment" that I don't understand what it means. Thanks.

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    What is your activity level set to in the MFP set up screen? I don't have any trackers linked (I enter my exercise manually) but it's possible that you've done less than MFP expects you to do in a day so is adjusting accordingly.
  • SiyaManqele
    What is your activity level set to in the MFP set up screen? I don't have any trackers linked (I enter my exercise manually) but it's possible that you've done less than MFP expects you to do in a day so is adjusting accordingly.

My activity level is set at "Active". Yesterday I jogged for more than an hour, did over 11000 steps and burned 847 calories. Please help me understand why would MFP think that wasn't enough for a day coz they deducted all my burned calories and more. Please see the screenshot above.
  • kb95696
    kb95696 Posts: 1 Member
    I am having the same problem...burned over 700 calories on a run. However MFP -65. Not sure how that equates.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member

My activity level is set at "Active". Yesterday I jogged for more than an hour, did over 11000 steps and burned 847 calories. Please help me understand why would MFP think that wasn't enough for a day coz they deducted all my burned calories and more. Please see the screenshot above.

But those 11000 steps came almost exclusively or for a large part from your jog, no?
    Your activity level in MFP is meant to reflect your daily activities (work, chores,...) NOT counting intentional exercise. And then you log your exercise separately and you get extra calories.
    For example: a full-time nurse who runs for an hour after she's off work, would choose active as her activity level AND log her run, and then wouldn't get a negative calorie adjustment.

So if you only chose 'active' for your activity level because of going running regularly, and are otherwise sedentary, you haven't set up MFP correctly and the negative calorie adjustment is normal.
    If you are active not including your exercise (for example physical job), then something is wrong with the calorie adjustment.
  • SiyaManqele
    Lietchi wrote: »

But those 11000 steps came almost exclusively or for a large part from your jog, no?
    Your activity level in MFP is meant to reflect your daily activities (work, chores,...) NOT counting intentional exercise. And then you log your exercise separately and you get extra calories.
    For example: a full-time nurse who runs for an hour after she's off work, would choose active as her activity level AND log her run, and then wouldn't get a negative calorie adjustment.

So if you only chose 'active' for your activity level because of going running regularly, and are otherwise sedentary, you haven't set up MFP correctly and the negative calorie adjustment is normal.
    If you are active not including your exercise (for example physical job), then something is wrong with the calorie adjustment.

I think I get what you're saying. Since the whole country is currently under lockdown due to the Corona virus my activity level shouldn't be "active" because I'm not quite active during the day, I exercise once a day then go back to the couch for the rest of the day.
  • Lietchi
    edited May 2020
    Only you know how active you are in the house :smile: (I have worked on upping my activity level while in lock-down) but if you are lounging on your couch except for your runs, then yes, you should choose sedentary/not very active as your activity level (or live with the negative calorie adjustment, which will be significant on days you don't go running).
  • SiyaManqele
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Only you know how active you are in the house :smile: (I have worked on upping my activity level while in lock-down) but if you are lounging on your couch except for your runs, then yes, you should choose sedentary/not very active as your activity level (or live with the negative calorie adjustment, which will be significant on days you don't go running).

I've changed it to "not very active". Tomorrow morning I'll got for another 1 hour run and see if it will adjust or not. Thanks.
  • SiyaManqele
    b2uc8hnnnj3m.jpg

Do my remaining calories at the end of my day have to be zero?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Your remaining calories don't have to be zero, but you should aim to be fairly close to zero. If you have a significant amount remaining, you're under-eating and may lose weight too fast / may not be getting sufficient nutrition; if you have a negative number on a daily basis, you'll just lose weight slower.

If you look at the app on your phone, at the bottom of the Diary page is a Nutrition button. In here you can see your average over the week. You may find it more useful to aim for that Net Average to be close to your 1500 rather than fretting over some days being slightly over and some days being slightly under.
  • NicYung
    NicYung Posts: 1 Member
    how do i turn off the garmin connect calorie adjustment?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

By setting your activity level to "active," you are getting the calories estimated to maintain an active lifestyle up front. You aren't going to see to see adjustments until you go beyond "active" and burn *more* than MFP would have estimated for an active person.

If your lifestyle, outside of intentional exercise, is sedentary and you expect to see adjustments for exercise, then you should choose an activity level that reflects that.
  • SiyaManqele
    NicYung wrote: »

I was able to turn mine off on the MFP website under exercise settings by unticking the calorie adjustment box.
  • Lietchi
    NicYung wrote: »

I was able to turn mine off on the MFP website under exercise settings by unticking the calorie adjustment box.

That's a premium feature I think. Disconnecting the tracker is the only other option.