Help please. Negative in my fat intake but under in my daily calorie needs

Hi there,

I wonder if someone can help me work this out.

One thing with my daily intake I don't quite understand is the damage done
if I go into a negative number with 'fat' for example even if I stay within my daily allowance.

I haven't eaten much today as you'll see by the picture, fruit, cereal and just sausage sandwiches tonight but the sausages have pushed me over my fat allowance.

Is it really detrimental to go over the fat allowance if you're trying to lose weight
whilst staying within or under my daily total?

Thanks

62v5zy2jeafi.png

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    All that matters for weight loss is to be in a calorie deficit.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    No, it doesn't matter. For weight loss, calories are KING.

The ups and downs in the macros are a wash, so you went over on fat - you are under on carbs and protein.

Just a hint - you can adjust those. I adjust my protein up, my fat up, and my carbs down. It helps you avoid red numbers if they bother you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    It's all calories, for weight loss, especially in the short run. (In the long run, poor nutrition could indirectly affect weight loss via satiation, i.e., make it hard to stick to your calorie goal; or via fatigue, which would likely make you expend fewer calories in daily life, rest more, have lackluster workouts.)

Good nutrition is for health. Even then, it's more about what you put into your eating, than about what you have to take out. Within reason, you can look at fat and protein as minimums. That is, you can go over them, within reason, and it's not a problem (for health - it's never a direct problem for weight loss).

What does "within reason" mean? Well, if you're constantly over on fats to the point where you have to be way under on protein to hit calories . . . that's probably not "within reason". For nutrition, you need a certain minimum of fats and proteins. (I'd also suggest plenty of varied, colorful veggies & fruits for fiber and micronutrients.)

As long as you hit calories, weight should go in the direction you intend.

Nutritionally, I'd be far, far more concerned about getting less than half my protein goal, and not many veggies/fruits, than I would be about being a little bit over on fat.

But you're way under calories, so I'd expect weight loss. (You should try to hit your calorie goal, or come close. If you set up your profile right, it has weight loss built into it.)

Best wishes!