I've lost the drive I once had

DjPeazy
DjPeazy Posts: 12 Member
Hey, I've went from 280 to 175 and now I'm back to 235 I don't know why I've lost my drive but I would like some advice or has anyone gone through this ? Let me know how you got through it please

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Hey girl! Our situations are likely different but I generally try being kind(er) to myself. The world is tough enough on us as it is.

And you haven't lost your drive! Take, for example, the fact that you didn't allow yourself to get back to your original weight.

So...be kind to yourself!

• yankocorrie85
    yankocorrie85 Posts: 2 Member
    Even though for whatever reason I'm in the same boat, I still log in. I still keep coming back and hoping it all clicks one day. It will.

Slow start. Fast car.
  • aidan1949
    aidan1949 Posts: 17 Member
    Yup, been there. I'm back on the track to getting to where I want to be now and it feels good. People seem to say logging is good and I agree as it gives a little bit more understanding about how much control you possess for this and it's a lot! Not advocating it universally but I find the 5:2 approach works for me. It gives a little and an almost overnight result so it's quite encouraging and you can go to a 6:1 approach when you get to the weight you want.

I do some simple exercise as well (walking) which gives me a little endorphin lift each day plus the real positive benefits of it being cardio exercise.

Start slow but with a clear direction.
  • DjPeazy
    DjPeazy Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you all 😇 best of luck to yall as well
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    I always feel like a switch has been thrown. I get really intense and do well. (I lost 65 pounds in 2016) and then it’s like it all doesn’t matter anymore. I am really trying to figure out why I do that. Good luck!!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Been there, done that!

I lost 50 lbs and was so close to my goal weight. And then I just feel off the wagon for about a year. Gained 10-15 lbs back (ugh) and have just recently gotten myself back on track to finally reach my goal weight.

Getting back into my exercise routine has been really key for me.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Same here but I’m still trying and keep
    Logging daily, the alternative is to not log in
    And gain more and more
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    Try mixing up the exercise routine and calories, keep logging and add friends to motivate you. Good luck!
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Is there an activity or goal you'd like to try? eg, a new walking route, a 30 day plank challenge, relearn to do forward rolls like a 4 year old? :) Something that feels good and gets you re-energised about your journey to better health.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    amyn73 wrote: »
    I always feel like a switch has been thrown. I get really intense and do well. (I lost 65 pounds in 2016) and then it’s like it all doesn’t matter anymore. I am really trying to figure out why I do that. Good luck!!

The reason why you do it is because you get really intense. Aim for less intensity and less of a change from what is normal for you.

• bjsel
    bjsel Posts: 2 Member
    I found this to be an issue off and on too. What I eventually figured out is that for me it’s the people around me. When I’m hanging out and working out with others who are energetic and food mindful then I am too. If I’m around unmotivated people who are not mindful of what they eat then I follow suit. You may need to change or add to the people you spend the most time with. It’s that saying that you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Just a thought: Instead of working on dieting, losing weight, etc. perhaps concentrating on making a permanent lifestyle change.

When I wanted to lose weight in the past, I, too, lost some and as soon as I felt I was successful I went back to old habits. Counting calories (and fat, carbs, fiber, etc.) are temporary tools, especially when used to see how many more one can devour at the end of the day.

• Eat Less
    • Eat Better
    • MOVE MORE!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    Just a thought: Instead of working on dieting, losing weight, etc. perhaps concentrating on making a permanent lifestyle change.

When I wanted to lose weight in the past, I, too, lost some and as soon as I felt I was successful I went back to old habits. Counting calories (and fat, carbs, fiber, etc.) are temporary tools, especially when used to see how many more one can devour at the end of the day.

• Eat Less
    • Eat Better
    • MOVE MORE!

Good advice
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Lot's of good advice here.

I found this years ago and it made an impression on me.

Zig Ziglar said it best, “Motivation is like bathing, you have to do it every day. Without motivation, you will never have the drive to take action, and without action, you can never reach your goals and live your dreams.”

Motivation doesn't last. And when it fails, you have to rely on discipline. And the more you practice, the more disciplined you become. In other words, it gets easier. That deprived feeling becomes overridden by that feeling of being in control.

You already have a fabulous track record. Believe in yourself and keep going. Wishing you every success!