60 yrs and up

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    @j29t - Thanks for the information. I have fished in the Atlantic out of the Jersey shore and the Gulf out of Tampa. Looks like I need to visit the Carolinas next. Everyone I know who has gone there has enjoyed it.
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Woo hoo I finally got my flower bed done!!! On to other things! How’s everyone doing? What are y’all up to today? I planted daliahs irises and flower seeds. Can’t wait till that area starts growing!! Have a good day 🌷🦋🤓💖🌹
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) My zucchini seeds just started to peek their heads through the dirt
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    You guys are making me want to get my garden going! Good inspiration!
  • trekkie123
    Where off the Jersey coast did you fish Steve?
  • alteredsteve175
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Where off the Jersey coast did you fish Steve?

I had some business acquaintances who lived in Brigantine. Had a house near the water - I remember walking a short distance from their house to the dock where the boat was moored. We went out in the Atlantic for bluefish. It was fast and furious fishing - had a great day. They sold the business and I lost track of them, unfortunately. :(

New Jersey sometimes gets a bad rap, but I have been to the shore and out in the woods with some of the locals. A lot of beautiful areas if you have someone to show you the spots!
  • trekkie123
    I know Brigantine well. I live in Margate, a few shore towns away. I alwy say the New Jersey shoreline is the best kept secret !
  • barbiecat
    ev3ts87sq60g.jpg

:) I love our fence, but it today it has be washed with baby shampoo and a soft rag.
  • barbiecat
    :) It's a new month full of new possibilities. The fence still hasn't been washed due to rain, wind, and some other pesky chores. Hope to get to it today. The car dealer is coming to pick up our car to take it for servicing (the usual oil change and a factory recall covered under warranty). Our neighbors found a buyer for their house and are busy selling and giving away most of their stuff in preparation for moving to Ecuador. I am so happy where I am that I can't imagine making such a huge change.

:) Hooray, the dogs get to go to the groomer tomorrow.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Not much happening here in SW VA, the weekend was great with lower temps and low humidity. A great change from all the rain. Love reading about everyone's gardening. My flowers and plants have done great from the rain, except the row of peonies sort of got ruined by all the rain, the blooms were beautiful while they lasted, but soaked by the rain and little time to enjoy. I got a couple of tomatoes planted this weekend and my chard is up. Do very little veggie gardening but like to have some fresh produce. My sister does a huge garden so they offer me plenty from there when I am not too lazy to go get it. ( I am lazy about that) much prefer spending my time running or hiking or working out somehow when I am outdoors, but that does not feed me. lol This week is getting up into the 90's and humidity arriving. Got to work all week, so other than walking to work in it, guess it will not bug me too much. Maybe cooling by weekend, but guess summer had to come sometime... I just do not like the heat. Everyone have a great First Day of June.
  • trekkie123
    The beautiful weather has finally shown up here in Margate, New Jersey. Just took a walk down to our beautiful beach. Hooray for warm weather! Bring it on! Happy week everyone!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @teresadannar Our hummingbird feeders have been on the ground quite a few mornings. Couldn’t figure out what was doing it, but we know we have a raccoon wandering around at night, so pretty sure that’s what is doing it. Broke the glass one when it fell on landscape bricks.😢
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Y'all might count yourself lucky, as might I, over raccoons and feeders. My friends in Traverse City, MI, need to bring all their feeders in at night because black bears!

All is calm here, mostly. Some 17-year-old (according to the Sheriff deputy) flattened my mailbox and did some other minor lawn/culvert damage, so I need to replace the mailbox if I want mail (it's stopped, right now). 🙄

Otherwise, things are good. LIfting (higher rep, lower weight) every couple of days lately, occasional rowing machine, occasional intentional walks (4.1 mi at 3.5mph today), logging, (re-)losing those few vanity pounds ultra-slowly. Loving that the perennial herbs are up and thriving, so cutting oregano lots, and sage is ready, thyme almost lush enough, and plenty of tarragon (guilty admission: haven't really figured out tarragon :neutral: ).

Feeling ultra-lazy, not accomplishing much, maybe a little depressed from the world's progress at this moment, I dunno. It'll be OK - I'm an optimist.

Here's a li'l garden glimpse, a bronze-ish iris:

zcn71huq0aua.jpg

Or maybe an orange-y indoor orchid (Dendrobium unicum, specifically)?

7t1y48ox0c2b.jpg
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey everyone! barbicat I like your fence that looks nice! Wow Ecuador that is a long move!! Nn2garden56 yeah peonies are beautiful but fragile I have dark pink and white ones. I planted 2 tomato plants early girl and sweet 100s they already have blossoms on them! Their doi really good. It’s in the 70s here this week then rain comes back. So when it’s sunny here you get out in it!!!!😄 teresadannarisnt it crazy when your kids get into their 40s! My boys are 43 and 41 weird! I rennet whenever they were 4! Congratulations on 16 to a 4 wow great job!! I agree with you on the protest the whole thing is sad! trekkie123 Happy week to you too 🙃 ! Hey Retiredandlovingit how you doing?🦋 I went through my closet and cupboards today stuff to go to goodwill! Will be outside tomorrow. Everyone have a good evening 💖🤓🌹🦋🌷
  • barbiecat
    edited June 2020
    :)Ann I love your iris. I've seen a lot in my yard and my neighborhood but not that color.

:) Yippee, today the dogs go to the groomer. They are her first appointment since groomers were able to open again in our county.

<3 Barbie
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hi all, nice to see your inspiring posts. I'm back from vacation and totally enjoyed my time at the beach, it was just what I needed. I did a poor job on food choices (boy was it tasty) and gained as I should have eating that many calories. Back at tracking and making healthy choices so moving forward in the right direction is easy to do since I know and can control what makes me feel healthy.

@alteredsteve175 - Do give NC a surf fishing try. Hatteras Village in the fall is the best. The ocean was quite rough during our trip, but did pull in nice puppy drum
    @lindagalbreath577 - Congrats on hard work gardening. Enjoy the beauty you've created with pleasure now
    @barbiecat - Hope you finish your fence work easily today. I'm jealous of your pups for getting grooming. Beach hair, don't care doesn't seem to be working now
    @n2gardens56 - Tomatoes and chard, yum. Hope your walks are dry and enjoyable
    @teresadannar - Beach house rental management agencies sometimes will accept a partial week stay when you call them 2 weeks before check-in day if the owners agree and want to fill a vacancy. Enjoy your vacation with your daughter
    @trekkie123 - Love Margate. Say hi to Lucy the elephant for me
    @RetiredAndLovingIt - Hummers are so wonderful and amazing, burning calories faster than they can drink your sweet nectar
    @AnnPT77 - Your garden has such beautiful variety. Garden calm is so good for the soul. Stay well, hug yourself for your grand job keeping healthy

Grateful for all the love my family beach time brought, lifting my spirits and renewing hope for the days ahead.
    Wishing y'all a beautiful day.
    Friend Hugs. Om…..

• alteredsteve175
    I'm going into my 12th month today with MFP! Although I started with an 18 month plan to loose 70lbs, I was hoping I would make that within a year, close, just 4 lbs away, but the losses have dropped quite a bit over the last 4 months. That's ok, I need to be very thankful, I started last summer in 16W capris and bought size 4 shorts yesterday, pretty excited. I plan on being a lifetime logger now, I'm certain that will be the only way to keep in maintenance, but it is so worth it. ...

Congratulations, Teresa! That is an awesome accomplishment. I have the same issue - losses slowed way down after the initial weight loss. No matter, I am losing slowly now and I will get there eventually. I also plan on being a lifetime logger - it's tedious, sometimes, but the alternative is worse.

• teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Good morning!
    @RetiredAndLovingIt- The feeder is back in its spot and the hummingbirds are happy. I brought it in last night. I'm suspecting my culprits could be bats because they don't bother the backyard feeders that have solar lights.
    @lindagalbreath577-I can very clearly remember my 40th, can't you? How is it possible are kids are there now?
    @j29t-thanks for the tip. My daughter is going to check that avenue out.
    @alteredsteve175-Steve, thank you!!
    @Everyone-Have a great day, enjoy!
  • barbiecat
    :) Life continues here on the same pace as always. It's taking a lot longer to wash the fence but hubby and I are working together on it with our different approaches to the job. It took time but we now can cooperate on the project with our separate approaches.

:) It is still cool here so zucchini is taking its time growing, Cucumbers are almost big enough to eat. Tomato plants have flowers.

:) As the iris begin to wilt, the lavender has begun to bloom. The annual lavender festival in my town has been cancelled, but nothing can deter the lavender plants in my yard or in the yards of many of my neighbors.

:/ The venue where I teach line dance told me that they won't reopen any sooner than June 22 and I should check with them then. They will be the ones determining the protocols for using their building. I won't teach again until I feel safe doing so. Most of my class is over 70 years old and many are over 80. My husband is high risk so I won't do anything that could jeopardize him. Dancing with a mask won't work for me so we'll just have to see how things unfold. I love dancing with the class but I can be patient so we can all be healthy.

<3 Barbie in NW WA