The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    I had some temptation tonight. I rode my bike To Walgreens to get some exercise and some toiletries. I walked near the wine aisle and they had several little box wines, a can of wine and even single glass bottle wine. I said to myself why bother and then you'll sleep poorly. So I grabbed some gummy Lifesavers instead.

I am nearly done with the school year and I will have the summer of reconnection with myself. Remember what I used to love to do besides drinking and do those things. I do recall that two years ago on the last day of school with students, my drinking buddy and I went out til 2:00 a.m. and drank so much. I bet I had a severe hangover!! Guess if she called me this year? Nope. Remember she's the one I told two weeks ago that I am sober now and she said "Ok bye." That speaks volumes to me. Like @whitpauly and several others have said you will lose some friends being sober but they weren't your friends to begin with if they don't love you sober as much as they did drunk.

Makes me kind of sad but totally not worth giving up sobriety. I am in this for the long run. I cannot live a life of misery, pain and suffering, and disgust with myself one minute longer.
  • RubyRed427
    @Beka3695 & @whitpauly Yep, I too have had the Oh Crap, I forgot I wasn't drinking! dream. At least it's replaced the Oh crap, I forgot I was in college and tomorrow is my Calculus final! dream. Why can't we at least have fun in our dreams for crying out loud???

Thanks for sharing additional online resources. I had a teletherapist appointment last night. We talked about drinking a bit, but honestly, for me, a recurring theme in my adult life is the craving for deep connections with women and the difficulty in finding and cultivating them. The kind of connection that you connect with daily.
    That you know has your back and you theirs. That you would drop everything and travel to if they needed you. I think it's rare, esp for those of us who have moved around a lot and/or don't have close family members, so that's wonderful that some of you have developed close connections online.

I have had those dreams too. And even sometimes wake up feeling like I drank the night before when I didn't. I am sorry you crave a deep connection with women yet can't seem to find it; you are a wonderful, loving person and anyone would be so blessed to have you as a friend!!
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    So happy for you @lorrainquiche59 !! ♥ Thats major.
    Funny how as more time goes by we've gone from should I...shouldnt I...to really knowing its no and thats just the way it is. You learn to adapt.
    Hope everyone has a nice sober weekend! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    @mainelylisa Nice to hear that you have met some nice friends online. Yes, that is true; I tend to retreat as well when I'm down. Sounds like you are making some positive observations with sobriety. Sobriety gives us a lot more time on our hands and more time to think. <3

• RubyRed427
    @lorrainequiche59 Happy Second Anniversary!! You've been through so many difficult, heartbreaking events these last two years but you continued your quest for an AF life. Bravo! <3:)