Feeling anxious, I think my Apple Watch is overcompensating!

Nadoriel
Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
The title. This is it really. I complain if I’m restricted to eating less, but now that I’ve connected my Apple Watch with pacer and I’m checking the calories spent per day I’m just crazy. I almost constantly go above 2k calories per day. Can this be true? Cause I usually eat around 1800... although sometimes I do have a day I eat loads, but I thought that was just my poor lack of willpower.

My weight goes up and down like crazy every day so it’s pretty hard to actually use it.

I mean I usually tend to walk about 12k steps a day, and when I’m not working I do barre (kind of high rep low weight workout) and yoga (just... normal? From down dog app??) I’m 30, female, 163cm, 6...67kg today I guess. Yesterday I was 68 and the day before I was 66.3 😂

I’m anxious to eat this much... and to be honest today I was pretty fulfilled at 1800 instead of the 2100 I should have had for a 15% cut.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    Nadoriel wrote: »
    The title. This is it really. I complain if I’m restricted to eating less, but now that I’ve connected my Apple Watch with pacer and I’m checking the calories spent per day I’m just crazy. I almost constantly go above 2k calories per day. Can this be true? Cause I usually eat around 1800... although sometimes I do have a day I eat loads, but I thought that was just my poor lack of willpower.

My weight goes up and down like crazy every day so it’s pretty hard to actually use it.

I mean I usually tend to walk about 12k steps a day, and when I’m not working I do barre (kind of high rep low weight workout) and yoga (just... normal? From down dog app??) I’m 30, female, 163cm, 6...67kg today I guess. Yesterday I was 68 and the day before I was 66.3 😂

I’m anxious to eat this much... and to be honest today I was pretty fulfilled at 1800 instead of the 2100 I should have had for a 15% cut.

Everybody's weight goes down up and down like crazy each day. Even more so for females during their monthly cycle. You can use a weight trend app or web site to smooth out some of the weight variations and better display your underlying weight level change.

12K and your stats would give an expected TDEE of around 2400 Cal for the day. How close is that to what your apple watch said was your TDEE (maintenance calories) for your day?

One day's hunger or lack of hunger doesn't mean much. Whether your results match your logging is an open question that depends on more than whether the numbers are "possible". The numbers are ESTIMATES. They depend on how closely you match the baselines and on how correctly you are logging your intake. They also depend on how well your watch tracks your activity.

HOWEVER, consistent estimates can be corrected based on results!
  • Nadoriel
    @PAV8888 thank you so much! Yes those have been the numbers more or less. I’ve been doing close to 20k or even more recently since the weather is nice which puts me around 2600-2700 cals. But on less moving days it was around 2400. If that’s normal then ok. I can do this. I’d rather lose weight eating more than what happened to me last time when I lost my apetite for a few months. I got really nervous because I wasn’t eating almost anything but then I suddenly got super hungry and nothing could help me control it and it brought ball my demons back again. Finally over with them and hoping to start again properly
  • PAV8888
    You're well beyond MFP's very active when you're hitting 20K.

Excessive restriction... excessive reaction is my belief. Some of this seems almost predictable reactions to hormonal changes induced by dieting, especially as you get leaner. And your starting point is very close if not within normal BMI

I would personally not try for a deficit that exceeded 20% of my TDEE within the normal weight range. To be very honest I haven't personally even tried that much of a deficit within the normal range. My FASTEST weight loss within the normal weight range has been at 1.5lbs... A MONTH, not week, which would be much less than 10% in my case!

Take care, and best of luck!
  • Nadoriel
    Thank you again @PAV8888 ! Yeah, I definitely did lose my apetite for some reason and obviously when I got it back it was trying to compensate. And I was trying to reign it which only made it worse, specially mentally if nothing else.

I already lost some weight already on Noom. It made me realise I really need to write what I eat somewhere because otherwise I tend to start eating too much without knowing. Little snacks, too much oil, etc. But it also encouraged me to exercise again 🤣

I’ll try to keep up with my calorie range. I don’t walk that much everyday 🤣 so it should be easier. I can also use more nutrient dense foods to ramp up. I’ll make it work 🥰 I hope the watch is doing ok so I don’t get set back on my weight. Although I might do it if just for readapting to having more calories 🤷🏻‍♀️

Losing weight would be so much easier if the mentality wasn’t involved in it!
  • PAV8888
    Increased appetite post weight loss compared to non weight reduced is, sadly, expected, at least for the previously obese

Took me a couple of years to start finding it not as difficult to stay within my maintenance Calories