Apple Watch

Those who use the Apple Watch during a cardio workout do you log the calories in the machine? Log the active calories on the Apple Watch? Log the total calories on the Apple Watch?

Replies

• Sandeeng84
    Sandeeng84 Posts: 27 Member
    Just heard from a friend to use active calories for tracking calories lost.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I track my run in Apple Watch. MFP & Apple Watch don’t integrate well. I use the Pacer app and connect MFP & Apple Health to it. When I sync after I run, I get a double adjustment. One from Pacer, and one from Apple Health. I delete the Apple Health since it’s a double. When you sync at the end of the day, your adjustment will match your “move calories” in Apple Watch. Set your activity level to not very active in MFP.
  • Sandeeng84
    Sandeeng84 Posts: 27 Member
    Are you talking about sedentary or lightly active? I work at a busy Dr office. I’d say 50% of the time I’m on my feet waking at a fast pace.
  • Talan79
    I think if you set your activity level to anything other than not very active, your adjustment will be too high. Your adjustment is your entire move goal calories. I’ve had mine set to not very active & my TDEE in Apple Watch & in MFP is roughly the same. If I set it to lightly active, MFP will have a higher TDEE bc it’s giving me higher calories to begin with.
  • RaeWats
    RaeWats Posts: 57 Member
    I just did a 40 minute workout and used mixed cardio on my Apple Watch. It has 232 active calories, but on MFP, it’s only showing as 53 calories... do I add the exercise to MFP?
  • Talan79
    @IDARae Do you have the Pace app connected to MFP and Apple Health?
  • RaeWats
    @Talan79 i don’t. Would I have to use the Pace app separate from the Apple app and then sync them? If so, how much data does it use?
  • Talan79
    When I got my watch in March I had similar situation as you with numbers not transferring correctly bn MFP and the watch. Like for a 4 mile run, and being active throughout the day, I’d earn 78 calories. My adjustment should have been much higher to match my TDEE in Apple Watch.
    Not sure about data usage. But you only need to sync Pacer once or twice a day. I sync after my run and another time closer to evening.

Download the free version of Pacer. Link Pacer to MFP and Apple Health. In MFP, select Pacer for steps. Once you log an activity in your Apple Watch, open Pacer and sync. In MFP, you will see 2 adjustments, one from Pacer, one from Apple Health. Delete the Apple Health bc it’s a duplicate.
    In MFP, set your activity level to “not very active”. Your “move calories” in Apple Watch will be your adjustment. If you set your activity level to something more, the number in MFP will most likely be over-projected. Right now, my TDEE in MFP and Apple Watch are roughly the same.
  • RaeWats
    @Talan79 I installed Pacer, synced it to my watch, removed Apple Health from MFP sync and synced Pacer.
    Apple Steps have disappeared off my profile, and my exercise calories didn’t change 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Talan79
    Are you connected through Pacer on these?ojgpdbzj50xv.jpeg
  • RaeWats
    I am ... I had swiped off all apps, turned phone back off and on, and nothing ...
    Just came back on here after posting this and everything’s syncing great!

Thanks for your help 😃👍🏻
  • Talan79
    Ok great! You’re welcome!