Want To Lose 10 Pounds?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,757 Member
    Don't forget, at our ages, get a bout of pneumonia, go into the hospital, and you'll lose @20 pounds. If you don't have that much to lose, they'll just use a smaller coffin. ;)
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,107 Member
    Yeah.

Not a good week. It’s not like I went totally off the rails, but came really really close.

Back on track and going forward.
  • Al_Howard
    OK, came out of the weekend in good shape (weight and WPs). Trying to cut down on the snackage, and get my exercises in.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,222 Member
    I'm piggy-backing on the LTL post from @misterhub. Greg asked about whether the beginning of a new month is a time of renewal.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but the start of this month is really helping me think about what I want the end of summer to look like. I have no idea what I'll weigh, and I honestly don't care about the number, but I'm determined to have a couple of good habits related to health going into the fall.

I'm still feeling good about losing this 10 pounds.

Have a great week everybody! Make choices that will make you feel good!

• Al_Howard
    Down 1.8 for the week. :) Still snacking, but less, due to drinking the BIG glass of water, when I think I need a snack. Slows me down, at any rate.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,894 Member
    I'm still in the mode. I had a great week, even though I didn't lose any weight. I felt very in-control of my choices. Thursday night through Saturday night was the Jewish holiday of Shavuot, which traditionally involves (from a practical point of view) eating dairy foods for Thursday night - Friday lunch, with the high-point being cheesecake! My son's birthday was this past week too. I ate very reasonable, and managed to include both cheesecake and birthday cake, plus some scotch and bourbon.

I got my exercise in this week too.

This week I plan to keep it up with the feeling of being in control. I will be conscious of my choices and stick the the overall plan I set out before.

I know the weight will come off. It's just a matter of when it will come off!
  • whathapnd
    I'm up .8, and I'm frustrated. I've lost .6 pounds since the start of this challenge.

I'm confident my calorie consumption is as accurate as it can be. There has been very little take-out since quarantine, and my own prepared foods are easy to calculate. Everything has been weighed. So I guess I'm saying that my "calories in" is as accurate as it can be. I'm aiming for 3500 deficit per week. This week, I was at 2800, but all other weeks since starting the challenge, I've made the 3500. Pants continue to feel better.

I'm open to suggestions from this knowledgeable group. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) My initial weigh-in happened to be lower than my actual weight.

2) I've been very swollen for the past few weeks. (Had to remove rings and haven't been able to comfortable wear them.) I suspect allergies from yard work, but I started sublingual drops for allergies, and my dose recently increased. Also, I normally drink tea, but I've started drinking coffee in the past 4-6 weeks. Maybe I'm allergic/sensitive.

3) Maybe I'm even more sedentary than I thought. MFP gives me 1290 calories. My allotment used to be 1200. Perhaps I should go back to 1200 until I'm willing to move more regularly.

A friend and I are going to start an exercise challenge. Nothing crazy, just aiming to move 40 minutes more days than not.

I have meals planned for the week.

Any suggestions?
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,893 Member
    Down a net of 1 lb since beginning of this Challenge.
    Start WI 5/8 = 310.8
    Week 1/5/15= 309.6 -0.8
    Week 2/5/22= 313.8 + 4.2
    Week 3/5/29=313.8 +-0.0
    Week 4/6/05 =309.8 -4.0 current
    Net 4 weeks = - 1lb🤔
    Week 5/6/12=TBD?
    However my goal before this challenge ever started was 1.5 per week so my plan was to have loss 6 lbs day the end of this week. So defore Memorial day I went off on a binge the Thursday prior. Also I quit tracking when the Challenge began. That's not a very good plan.

So I haven't tracked my day yet which is dangerous at the end of the day because this tells me I had no plan or was busy today.
    Anyway will track today before bed to keep my tracking streak of 11 days going. See y'all here next Friday 6/12.

Tracking days June 4 Yes 3 /No 0😀
    SW/CW/GW 06/05/20 Friday
    400.8/309.8/185 [+0.8] ☹ WI Daily
    Total Loss 91.0lbs
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Down 1.7 pounds this week. A little disappointed; but at least it was in the right direction. I guess I just expected more because I've made so many changes over the past week.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    End of week four recap:

1) Stay within my MFP calorie budget (4 of 7 days)
    2) Keep up with tracking DURING the day instead of catching up at the end of the day (7 of 7 days)
    3) Get in a mid-day walk at least 5 times a week to compensate for how little I move in my offsite work environment. My work routine has changed again with the re-opening of the fitness center at the retirement community so this isn't necessary plus it is too damn hot and humid mid day to go out and walk
    4) Get in at least 5,000 steps per day. (7 of 7 days)
    5) Get in 2 strength training sessions per week (1 of 2 done) - finally a session with real weight machines! I was sore the next day.

Start of Week One Weight: 176 (WW goal is 170)
    Start of Week Two Weight: 175
    Start of Week Three Weight: 174.5
    Start of Week Four Weight: 174.5
    Start of Week Five Weight: 175 <<< Not surprised as my sleep schedule got all messed up due to having to be at work early again. First time in 11 weeks that I had to set an alarm on weekdays. There was also stress eatig.
  • steve0mania
    As usual, the weekend provides a greater challenge for me than the week does. Nevertheless, I was mostly thoughtful about my choices. I definitely took in more calories than I do during the week, but it wasn't totally out of control, and it allowed me to enjoy a few special moments over the weekend (e.g., sampling a thin slice of cake that one of my kids made, having a bit of scotch that was given to me as a birthday present, having a couple of beers over the weekend, etc.).

Of course, now it's back to "tighter" management through the week. Key part of my plan for the next few days include no alcohol during the week, no desserts/snacks, and exercising at least 4 out of 5 weekdays this week.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,107 Member
    Yesterday was a setback. A very big setback.

The only thing to do is proceed forward starting this morning.
  • whathapnd
    misterhub wrote: »
    Yesterday was a setback. A very big setback.

The only thing to do is proceed forward starting this morning.

Monday was a big setback for me. You're correct that you've got to move forward. But I'll challenge you to look to see if there's any learning to be gained from that setback. Part of a pattern or a one-off? If part of a pattern, any pre-cursors to know it's coming? No need to answer here. Just wanted to share some thinking I've been doing on the topic.
  • Al_Howard
    Down 0.6# for the week, and 5.6# since 5/8.
  • steve0mania
    I'm down 0.2 pounds over the last week, and am now at 140.2. If I'm being honest, I'm a little disappointed. I had a very good week in terms of following my plan, with only a couple of minor "transgressions." I assume this is just a situation of the scale not quite "catching-up" to where I'm at. There is a mental barrier for me at 140 pounds as it's an important personal milestone. I know I just have to keep doing what I'm doing (and maybe take a few minutes to make sure I'm not missing something about my intake/output), and eventually the weight will come off. I just wish it were a bit faster.

I'm down 4.8 pounds since the beginning of our challenge.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    End of week five recap:

1) Stay within my MFP calorie budget (4 of 7 days)
    2) Keep up with tracking DURING the day instead of catching up at the end of the day (7 of 7 days)
    3) Get in at least 5,000 steps per day. (6 of 7 days) Monday was the first day of the semester. The only thing that moved a lot was my fingers on the keyboard with all the emails I was dealing with started at 6:00am until 6:30pm.
    5) Get in 2 strength training sessions per week (2 of 2 done)

Start of Week One Weight: 176 (WW goal is 170)
    Start of Week Two Weight: 175
    Start of Week Three Weight: 174.5
    Start of Week Four Weight: 174.5
    Start of Week Five Weight: 175
    Start of Week Six Weight: 174.5

The number of the scale doesn't reflect how I am feeling. I feel less fluffy around the middle and my walking speed is increasing! I was 173.5 twice this week so the scale is trending downward. It is really helping that I overall feel happier now that I have social interaction during part of my workday again.
  • whathapnd
    Miraculously, I'm even for the week. I had a bad eating day on Monday - - tracked all of it - - but then just half-azzed the rest of the week.

My sleep schedule was really off this week. I finished up some work that I'd been putting off, so I feel like I can get focused again this week including focusing on sleep. I still like the components of my original plan, so I'm not going to change anything. Inflammation is still an issue.

I'm bummed that I really haven't lost any weight since starting this challenge, but I'm looking at it as a good lesson in how I can let time slip by without accomplishing things.

So . . . I'm re-committing to my original plan.

My plan for losing the 10 lbs. includes the following:

1) Track everyday and stay within my allotted MFP calories
    2) Eat in a way that is consistent with the WW PointsPlus program
    3) Get at least 100 grams of protein per day and drink 100 ounces of liquid per day
    3) No eating anything I'm allergic to or have a sensitivity to
    4) Create a simple night-time routine and go to bed at the same hour for an entire week
    5) Deliberate exercise for 30 minutes a minimum of 3 times per week with an eye toward building to 5 times per week.
    6) Only weigh once per week.

Week One Weight: 182
    Week 2: 181
    Week 3: 181.2
    Week 4: 180.6
    Week 5: 181.4
    Week 6: 181.4
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,893 Member
    edited June 2020
    Plan:
    1. 1700 Calories per day.(not doing WW pts.)
    2. Tracking every crumb that goes in my mouth through MFP then report back every Friday to her and this theead.
    3. Using the Simple Plate my plate method. Balance plate per USDA guide lines ie; Balanced / Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Protein foods, Dairy. Water 8 cups minimum daily.
    4. WI every Friday as usual then post results.
    5. Be positive! Daily.

Week 1 WI 5/8 = 310.8 Start
    Week 2/5/15= 309.6 -0.8
    Week 3/5/22= 313.8 + 4.2
    Week 4/5/29= 313.8 +-0.0
    Week 5/6/05 =309.8 -4.0
    Week 6/6/12= 313.0 +3.2

Net 5 weeks = + 2.2 lbs ☹🤔
    Chin up!
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,738 Member
    Up .5 :(