Wheelchair user needs help to start

Hi, I’m a wheelchair user with spinal cord injury so paralysed from the chest down.

I’m looking to improve my fitness especially my strength and would like visually ‘bigger arms and shoulders’

However I have no idea where to start, can anyone point my in the right direction with an exercise plan and nutritional help??

I can work my biceps, chest, back and shoulders and can use rowing machine and boxing bag for cardio

Any help would be much appreciated thanks
Alex

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    The MFP recommended macros are a good starting point for most people, ensure you're getting at least the minimum protein and fat RDA and let the rest fall as suits your satiety.

There are a lot of seated workout videos around on Youtube, which may help with strength training.

This one may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kn3dsPFMTQ
  • alexsmart92
    alexsmart92 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks,

Is a macros split of 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat any good or should the split be different to that?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Thanks,

Is a macros split of 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat any good or should the split be different to that?

That's up to you, it's probably more Protein than is necessary but if that what helps you feel full, run with it.

• kidsrule4me
    kidsrule4me Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Alex! I too am in a wheelchair. Mine is from a Hereditary disease called Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia. From the waist up I try to keep strong because to transfer and try to move my own body from the waist down is challenging Currently I use exercise bands a lot and often. As well as use my arms to raise and lower myself up and down in my wheelchair for building strength in my arms. I hope to find a “wheelchair community” within MyFitnessPal or fitbit.
    Faith
  • fwgoebel
    fwgoebel Posts: 1 Member
    I am another user with Hereditary Spastic Paralegia (SPG-4), a wheelchair user for just over one year. What I'm hoping to learn is a somewhat accurate way to determine calories burned after having gone out for a trek in my chair. I use a bicycling app to determine time and distance, so I have that information at the ready.
  • JOYfulNoise89
    JOYfulNoise89 Posts: 11 Member
    fwgoebel wrote: »
    I am another user with Hereditary Spastic Paralegia (SPG-4), a wheelchair user for just over one year. What I'm hoping to learn is a somewhat accurate way to determine calories burned after having gone out for a trek in my chair. I use a bicycling app to determine time and distance, so I have that information at the ready.

Something that tracks your heart rate would be best for this no? Like a Fitbit or other fitness tracker?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,551 Member
    I have nerve injuries from the waist-down, was able to do a lot for awhile but am struggling with pain issues so I'm currently doing chair workouts where I can sit without using my legs, yoga, and stretching only or nothing. This playlist has arms only chair cardio with one or two strength training. I think one or two may have a few exercises with legs so I just skip them and do arms only. The longest one isn't very fun, I keep shuffling the list and making myself do whatever comes up but I always get that one and don't know why I saved it, I guess it's better than nothing!

• Netrogradik
    Netrogradik Posts: 1 Member
    Model excellent behavior, tolerance, and acceptance of others.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    for variety, i like to use various seated exercise videos on utube - find it funner to follow along with someone (& the music.)