Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Good morning friends! ...

I know that several of us spoke about Flylady in the past. I do like her philosophies. I'll have to revisit her site for inspiration.

Who is / where do I find this "Flylady (and her philosophies)" of which you speak? Just got the news that (after 8 wks in) I can confidently expect to continue working from home for a minimum of another 3 months. So I thought I would start getting the "home-work" space switched from "make do" setup to "long term / semi-permanent" and am looking for ideas / approaches to take.

Beyond the obvious "Just plain throw out that first piece of unneeded paper, and repeat" ....
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Good morning friends! ...

I know that several of us spoke about Flylady in the past. I do like her philosophies. I'll have to revisit her site for inspiration.

Who is / where do I find this "Flylady (and her philosophies)" of which you speak? Just got the news that (after 8 wks in) I can confidently expect to continue working from home for a minimum of another 3 months. So I thought I would start getting the "home-work" space switched from "make do" setup to "long term / semi-permanent" and am looking for ideas / approaches to take.

Beyond the obvious "Just plain throw out that first piece of unneeded paper, and repeat" ....

I hope that this information is helpful:

FlyLady.net
    www.flylady.net/c/lp.php

FlyLady - Sneak Peek for the Week, Detail Cleaning, Reminders, Flight Plan, Missions, and Zones.
    FlyLady.net
    signup.flylady.net

Have you been living in CHAOS? FlyLady is here to help you get your home organized! She teaches you to eliminate your clutter and establish simple routines for getting your home clean!
    Videos of flylady website
    bing.com/videos
  • BMcC9
    I will explore that (and other possibilities) I am familiar with "throw out 50 things" site (the trick is:
    • those 57 back-issues of magazines (for example) only count as "one thing => magazines"
    • "throw out" means "leave your custody" (shifting it to basement / attic / garage or shed / off-site storage doesn't cut it)
    • "throw out" doesn't HAVE to mean "throw to the curb for trash-pickup / drop at the dump" Depending on the item, it can be recycled / regifted / donated / contributed to a charity sale / sold-consigned / part of a personal or street garage-sale event OR on its way to the dump if that IS the "proper place for it
    )
    needless to say, this was written / developed years ago, and some of the "potential new homes" options above might have to wait a bit for re-openings .... but that need not delay getting started.
  • BMcC9
    Made a good start yesterday in the "shifting here to there" initial manouver. Nothing actually tossed but a few easy-to-categorize papers .... BUT
    • the spare bed is out of my "BMcC's Room"
    • the stuff that WAS in the Box Room next door (most of which CAN'T be discarded for various important reasons) binned and moved elsewhere
    • table from Box Room shifted to BMcC's Room - now I have a workable "home-office surface" in one corner and a "craft&hobbies surface" in the opposite corner.
    • spare bed now in the box room; along with an attractive storage cube to act as a "bedside table" and stand for the only lamp in there so far.
    • the Box Room is starting to evolve into "useable multi-purpose space" - details to be determined later.

The point is - DH is convinced I will end up using both rooms as "BMcC Space" and I am determined proper set-up I WON'T be. Being able to have the two "stations" in the same room go a very long way in the right direction.
  • BMcC9
    I went through my "mending pile" and sorted what needs a stitch-or-two from things that I might conceiveably ATTEMPT to alter to fit my now on maintenance body - some of those WERE too small, but are now TOO BIG ...

First
    • was ruthless about "colour or style no longer suits who I am now" (straight to the "donate when they are collecting again pile")
    Next day,
    • actually tried the remainder on - if items were pants / capris and too big for NOW - straight to donate pile (too hard for my sewing skills to alter)
    • set three tops (too big for me, though I still love the colours) aside that my mom might like to adopt (eventually)
    • put multiple other tops in donate pile as "WHY am I going to try to even guess how to alter?!?" WHY NOT START FRESH???" (sewing from altered-before-cutting-fabric relatively basic patterns is closer to my sewing ability - altering pre-made garments (even simply made ones) ain't that easy

Once I put the few stitches in each of the "truly need minor mending" pile, I will do the same sort-down and put a high proportion of them into the "donate when they are collecting again pile". They are good quality with plenty of wear in them - someone not-so-far into their journey will be able to feel very pleased at the finds - I know I did under similar circumstances as my wardrobe sizes evolved.
  • BMcC9
    @BMcC9 I have a developed a system where I have a seasonal switch twice a year, and get rid of anything I haven’t worn that season, before it goes back into storage. I also vet what I’m going to wear, for the coming season. Both these practices have helped me whittle down quite a bit. It’s an ongoing process, but it’s good to create space.

Also, I started 2020 as a ‘buy essentials only’ experiment, which has been greatly assisted by lockdown, and has, incidentally, improved my bank balance considerably. Lockdown has had some advantages. 😂

This year's Light-Weight clothes seasonal switch included not only "now that I am in maintenance" stored-till-they-fit-again clothes (many of which were too BIG when I tried them on) but also a reality check on the contents of the "maybe I could alter it some day? " nearly-fit pile against what I KNOW my sewing limitations are. Now that I have reached the point where RELATIVELY minor alterations / adaptations (by a far better sewer than I) to fit a stable-going-forward silhouette could theoretically have taken place.
  • mrsmikerd
    mrsmikerd Posts: 2 Member
    Has anyone found that your spouse has so much stuff that it overwhelms you and you're powerless to do anything about it and he is too connected with it that he won't let it go?
  • gadorlogor
    gadorlogor Posts: 7 Member
    Yes, I am poor.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!