WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    QUESTION: do you track all your food every day? Exercise ? weight ?

:) With rare exceptions I have tracked food, exercise, and weight every day since February 2009. I intend to continue to do so.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    June 1 is a pretty morning so far. The sun is shining and I’m grateful for a new day. I have a lovely miniature rose that DH bought for me several years ago for Valentines Day. It is glorious and full of blooms. I moved it from a place it loves to a less desirable spot. I will be moving it back to its happy place this morning. I have decided to shop for another plant to sit near the BBQ. Maybe I can drop into a garden center and look for a culinary herb. I’m considering sage or thyme. I already have loads of parsley. I would love to get some new ideas from gardeners in the group. Any ideas?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Exercise ... yep!

Every single day I have exercised since April 29, 1990. :)

Machka in Oz

Oh also ... although I haven't written it down every day, I've weighed myself just about every day since I was about 16 or so.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    wizzywig wrote: »

I've not logged my food for months, I really should start again. Had a Tuna salad for lunch today, quite enjoyed it. I'm not a big salad lover to be honest, so many things I don't like - tomatoes, cucumber, peppers (good job I like lettuce :) )

Viv UK

:)Viv, You and I could share a salad. I love tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers, and I can't stand lettuce.
  • marymoe66
    marymoe66 Posts: 1 Member
    Good morning! I turned 54 at the end of April and am happy to say that I'm in the best shape that I've been in since 1993 (give or take a year). Started using the DepoProvera shot around that time, for birth control, and went downhill from there. I think I weighed around 155 when I started... gained 20 pounds within a year or so and kept climbing. I was around 228 at my highest. I had a dream that I went to the doctor and they had to use a freight scale to weigh me. That was about 3 years ago. My husband (who needed to lose about 30 lbs. and has reached his goal, of course) was on board with me. We didn't do a whole lot at first, just cut down portions and cut out coca-cola. I'm down 68 lbs, at this point. I weighed in at 159, a couple days after my birthday. I lost most of the weight when I was actively doing low-carb. I'd lose some, then maintain for several months, lose some more, and repeat. Today, I am finally adding exercise... I know, I should have been doing it all along, but didn't. I'm adding the squat/lunge and plank challenges. Wish me luck... 20 lbs to go, then I'll see where I want to be.
    Happy June!!! Have a great month!!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited June 2020
    Barbie - thank you so much for remembering what day it was! 🤗 And thank you, as always, for starting us off with a clean slate.

Amber – well done on 60 pounds!

Heather - that's exactly how I felt about our car - that it was burning money. Both because we were still paying on it, and because the value was going down by the minute, as well. That's why we got rid of it a couple weeks ago. Your run sounds amazing... Enjoy your writing.

Tracey
    – I meant to mention on your post about your kids how wonderful it was to see you so joyful about them.

Annie in DE - Well done - you can't make another adult, especially a sibling, do the right thing, you can only share what the right thing is, which you did.

Welcome @SueMiconi Sue from Ontario!, @sandhillsmom , @2016goalreached Meghan from Denver! @lkds68 Laura in Missouri, @dmhmcdaniels Dee in Alabama and @marymoe66 ! Come back often, drop into the conversation wherever you feel comfortable. We are a chatty bunch.

Luci – I’m so sorry. Keep us all in your pocket as you go.

I do and I don’t. I don’t use MFP to record my food, I’m just writing it into my loose-leaf daily journal, with calorie counts. I write down my exercise BEFORE I exercise, so I will be inspired to go ahead and do it. I’m tracking my weight in the same journal as well but trying to only pay attention to it when we switch months to see if I hit last month’s goals.

Speaking of which:

Goals for May were:

🤞 Survive the re-opening of my state without getting cooties. (So far, no cooties, and reopening here is phasing in reasonably slowly).
    👎 Continue to entrench and extend our financial position. (I quit my job, so yeah, not so much.)
    👍 Be lighter going out than I am going in. (Yes, lost three pounds after a lot of up and downing.)

Goals for June:

🚪 Continue to survive the re-opening of my state without getting cooties.
    💲 Hold us to a budget for June and figure out where we have some give and what’s set in stone.
    ⚖ Be lighter going out than I am going in.

Be safe out there...

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,962 Member
    Michele I haven't found anything specific about whether quarantine for out of state people is lifted in phase one today or not. You would think this would be prominent in the news but nope.

I guess my sister is still deciding whether to come. She doesn't really talk to me. We have very little in common.

The stress of the news is getting to me. Wish I had a garden. Let's not even talk about my weight.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    :)Lisa and Heather, We live in an area with limited public transportation so having a car is a good idea. However, two years ago we sold our second car which was a big waste of money and now have one great car that we both love. There are some rare occasions when we have to be in different places at the same time, but we've made it work. My walking friend has been available a few times to drive one of us somewhere but usually it all works out. The other great thing about having one one car is that it frees a big space in the garage for projects. It was a great choice for us.

:)Welcome to everyone who is posting on this thread for the first time (or return time) in June. It may seem that we all know each other, but we got to know each other but joining the conversation. Some have a lot to say and some have only a little, but all are welcome.

:) Today the dealer comes to pick up the car to take it for servicing. We'll stay home and wash the fence.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Beth - I haven't forgotten you. :D My DH is totally responsible for the stewed fruit, down to the buying of it as well, so I'm not entirely sure what he does. I know we have apples w blackcurrant or blackberries, pears, apricots, plums, rhubarb in variety. He uses more or less sugar and natural sweetener depending on how sweet the fruit is and he cooks it in some kind of juice to suit the fruit. Sometimes he adds a splash of suitable alcohol. The secret is not too much liquid.
    He has perfected his technique over a number of years and is very dedicated. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Saturday Alamo statue / My Star Bucks caffeine pick me up yesterday pip4nnulhiyi.jpeg
    ztn6b7a0hs4z.png
    bhfru76xkcf2.jpeg
    5zp9tekj4lwt.jpeg
    gvbiabe2h36y.jpeg

Slept was a quiet night luckily. The Spurs basketball team many came out to help clean up shops.Riverwalk lots of graffiti to plant damage. Alamo statues out side of the fort spray painted also . Sunday was quieter we had more armed forces to protect. Neighborhoods armed themselves too. Guess the scouts for the looters got the hint. I slept hard. Hubby bought me a burger y tea for Brunch last night will warm it up y a soup for dinner. Exercising today. Let’s hope this nights quiet too. If we had to leave a small town hotel an hour away or would have to go to Dads or drive around in the countryside

Amber Tx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    I don’t track exercise only food. I try not to go over 1200cal but if I do try not to go over like last nights whooping 800cal caffeine drinks..had a ice cream with M&Ms,fries,y a bigger than usual Starbucks Frappuccino .

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member

yes
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I made jam this evening!!

Some of you may recall that I was debating what to do with the multitude of apples we have ... well, I decided to make jam. :)

I used this recipe, but I added a bit of brown sugar too because it was quite sour. The apples from our tree didn't sweeten like I had hoped they might.

It made 2 jars which are currently sitting on the counter and cooling. Later tonight I'll pop them in the freezer and quite possibly on the weekend I'll give one a try. But they are setting up nicely.

We did not use all the apples (my husband helped me core and peel them), but did use at least a third of them. So if the jam is nice, I might make more.

At least with jam, I only use a bit at a time on toast etc. ... unlike an apple crisp of which I would eat a much larger quantity.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/apple-freezer-jam/dc746a1b-78ed-4e63-8efc-3aadb3e6453b

Machka in Oz

m5hwv9uyhhwn.png

This is the second time in my life I've made jam ... the first was a few years ago when I made freezer cherry jam which was really nice.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I am hoping for gardening advice this morning. I have a spot that I would like to use for a culinary herb. I am considering mint. I know how invasive it can be, and plan to plant it in a pot. The pot will be on a shelf above ground level and near our BBQ. I would appreciate advice from other gardeners.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Joyful June Calendar ...

1. Look for what's good ... lots of things!!

Cycling outside
    Rhody
    Jam

Things I've liked since being at home from the end of March ...

Being home all day with my husband. I've got a better understanding of how his day goes.
    Spending time with Rhody, getting to know him and getting him settled into our home.
    Being able to go outside to walk, run or cycle in daylight, despite the fact that the daylight hours are getting shorter.
    Having the energy to exercise regularly.
    Seeing more people outside exercising. :)
    Being able to sleep at least half an hour more each night than I was.
    Being able to go for a nap in the afternoon occasionally.
    Not having to spend 9-10 hours a week commuting!!!
    Spending my days with a 180° view of the bay and trees and outside instead of a wall.
    Being in an environment that rarely gives me sore, itchy eyes, sore throat, cough, and the sneezes.
    Being able to clean this and that.
    Wearing casual, comfy clothes.
    Not having as much stuff vying for my time.
    More time to work on my two courses at uni.
    Working remotely at my own pace ... which might lead to continued remote work ... maybe ... hopefully!
    Being able to attend church online.
    Feeling much more relaxed and less stressed!

Just to name a few. :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    welcome to all the new peeps out there.

hugs to all that need it
    putting on the boot to those who should have it
    pats on the back and contracts to all that deserve it

since I've been off, I've been working on the house, pressure washing, sifting thru stuff, selling cleaning, no traditional exercising. haven't even been on a training ride on my bike indoors.
    when I got my bike home, the bike repair guy gave me pics of my front stem that was being repaired. that is the part of the bike that makes the handle bars turn left and right, it was really stiff. the repair guy gave me pics and said that it was the worse he had ever seen. that made Kirby proud lolol.

it's really a drag that goodwill isn't open so I could give a lot of my stuff away, I hate the thought of throwing it in the trash.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Just looked outside rained last night good means Riots got rained out I needed the sleep 41myiamne8qw.jpeg

Amber Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Barbie ~ Thanks for the new month!

Welcome! So many new chatters...please continue to join this group of very fun and supportive women.

Karen VA ~ I am glad your spouse is getting the help she needs and know you were a very big part of it happening. I haven't thought much about it, but, my leg is still numb from the right side down after getting my knee replaced over a year ago. The only time it really bothers me is when I shave my legs.

Carol in GA :)
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Beth ~ I'm so glad you are convincing your youngest son to wait a bit until all the chaos settles down. I actually wonder if all the media coverage is fueling a lot of it.