Under 1200 for weight-loss

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Thank you to all of you that posted articles clarifying Terri Schiavo's situation. The ordeal of the last weeks of her life (legal fights between her parents and husband, plus political intervention), were so strong that completed negated the reality of her life and years in coma. May she rest in peace.

Amen. I remember it well. It was horrid what she had to go through at the end. I bawled my head off thinking about her dear parents and that entire struggle.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    Emma. What is your current cal amount you are eating for weight loss and what rate are you losing? I saw your post about Keto being unsustainable for you so just curious as to your current plan.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    While scary, I think your post has been really good for me to read. I'm struggling, just trying to lose "the last couple lbs." I have a healthy BMI (19.9), but I still feel I need to lose more weight. I work out 5 or 6 days a week. I don't eat enough to be considered healthy. So many people have told me they are concerned about me, I have people asking if I am anorexic. I tell myself and others I am healthy and just trying to better myself, but when I think about it I truly don't have a healthy relationship with food right now. I've been waiting to see a counselor and have an appointment made, it is a 3 month wait. Losing weight can definitely be a slippery slope... I see my primary care next week and am going to try and get the courage to talk with her about some of these issues I'm facing. Thank you for posting, it has scared me enough to make me fight for help.

Three month wait?! You could be dead by then (if your issue was severe enough). What the heck is the holdup?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    @Emmapatterson1729 thanks for posting this. Going personal and having the courage to share gives the issue the "punch" it needs to hit home for many.

I will bookmark this thread for reference.

Wondering if it's possible to change the title to get more clicks. (I hate "click bait" and that's not what I'm suggesting). But perhaps if the title let the readers know this thread is something extremely unique compared to other threads, it may help more readers see this who need to. Maybe "How Under 1200 Calories Almost Killed Me" or something. Sounds dramatic, but it would be a great wakeup - especially for lurkers.

Further, I would recommend that with a title like that (or similar), the mods could make it a sticky.

Your story is gold.

Interestingly, I think those that are looking for quick tips/fixes would actually navigate to threads like this because of the title (it looks very similar to the countless others), but in this case it's a very good thing. Sadly, I think this same type of audience would brush aside any thread sounding like it could threaten their desperate plans...

@Emmapatterson1729 : I think your story delivers a very powerful ambush of home truths on the reader (me included), messages to just re-evaluate any not so great ideas, and I'm another person who's grateful that you've chosen to share your experiences. Thank you.
  • Seasoned50
    Seasoned50 Posts: 3 Member
    Your post was very informative...thank you and I wish you strength & happiness!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    Goodness, I’m very sorry you had to go through that and are still living with the consequences. May I ask a question? Like you, I’m 5’8” and 135 is very near ideal healthy weight for me (actually most calculators say 137). How were you maintaining at that weight while eating 1000 calories and being active? Adding in the exercise you describe, I would be losing about a pound a week if not more. Were you losing weight when you were eating that little, or is there some medical reason you weren’t?

I was wondering about this as well. When I graduated from high school, I was 5'9" and 130 lbs and was very active. I was a very enthusiastic eater and still struggled to keep my weight up. OP, over what time period were you eating & exercising at those levels? How much weight did you lose in that time?

@try2again

I had been thin my entire life without effort, had been athletic: tennis, volleyball, and swim team. I had been active duty Air Force.

I gained a little weight with a pregnancy (miscarried). Maybe six months, a little less. Had lost 10-15 lbs. Sorry, this was over 20 years ago and an extremely stressful time of life, and my memory before heart failure doesn't stand out as much. Due to the traumatic events, the details around the actual heart failure stand out the most.

Heart failure wasn't caused by how much I weighed at my height/age or what size I wore. These factors had nothing to do with my heart failure... It was caused due to the low calories combined with exercise.

I understand that. I am just surprised that at such a low calorie level, over a significant amount of time, that your weight did not drop to concerning levels, as @rheddmobile pointed out.

At any rate, I am very sorry you had to experience this, and it's a warning that many on MFP should heed. It's frustrating to hear people say something to the effect of, "I can't be hurting my body- I feel great"... right up until they don't. :(

She does say that she periodically binged. I bet that unless she logged those binges, weighed and tracked, blah blah blah, that she was averaging more calories than she thought.

Water weight can also have an impact, but I agree with you that the low calories don't appear to actually be as low as the OP thought they were...

But yes. Very sorry you experienced this, Emma.

Your comment also made me think of refeeding syndrome, another situation people should be aware of:

https://www.healthline.com/health/refeeding-syndrome

Well this is terrifying and makes me want to significantly increase my calories (1500 a day, up to 1900 on weekends) just because yikes.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    I don't lose weight unless 800 cals OR low carb. I have an underactive thyroid and bottom of the range T3, cannot get the active hormone in the UK. Slim and ate normally before diagnosis.
    T3 is rarely tested and would not show up on a normal thyroid panel. Because I had a high TSH I was prescribed T4. Low T3 makes it difficult to lose weight, can be further lowered by exercise and affects the heart.
    Sorry but unless the composition of the diet here is poor it doesn't seem to explain heart disease.
    Glad you are well now.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    17adf33 wrote: »
    I don't lose weight unless 800 cals OR low carb. I have an underactive thyroid and bottom of the range T3, cannot get the active hormone in the UK. Slim and ate normally before diagnosis.
    T3 is rarely tested and would not show up on a normal thyroid panel. Because I had a high TSH I was prescribed T4. Low T3 makes it difficult to lose weight, can be further lowered by exercise and affects the heart.
    Sorry but unless the composition of the diet here is poor it doesn't seem to explain heart disease.
    Glad you are well now.

Are you under a consultant endocrinologist? You should be prescribed the active form if you're unable to convert levo sufficiently. It's not acceptable to be left having to only consume 800cal/day. T3 is still available to those whose biochemistry demonstrates its requirement. The vast majority are fine on T4 only; GPs in the UK are notorious for underdosing however. It took me 2 years to get my GP to up my dosage from 100 to 150mcg levo - she actually didn't know there is a recommended dosage per kg body weight. :(
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42179765
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm on 150 Levo but eventually persuaded my GP to test for T3. I was 0.1 above the referral level. I stopped the 800 in favour of low carb, averaged 1400 a day on non fasting days with two days a week fasting. Still lost about half a pound a week but eventually lost a stone. Plus once used to it was less hungry and generally felt better.
    Struggling with low carb now for some reason. I have one portion a day but previously no bread,crackers. rice, pasta or white potatoes for 3 months. Still ate eg beans and lots of veg.
  • CholeRoad
    CholeRoad Posts: 47 Member
    @elmusho1989
    Me too! I just sorted out my settings and put my exercise in for today.

@Emmapatterson1729
    Thank you for posting this. I have totally changed my attitude to being overweight and learning to love my body. Your story will make sure I do this safely.
    Also a friend of mine just had her gall bladder removed so I am wondering if she was dieting, which she probably was.
  • LilianaV22
    LilianaV22 Posts: 17 Member
    Im at 1100 calories or less per day, high protein, I feel great!