New to macro tracking & early effects

Options
Good afternoon - I’m new to macro tracking and wondering about some early affects. I’ve typically eaten a pretty clean diet, but probably lower in carb and higher in fat. I’m 37 years old and 147lbs, 5’7. I’m hoping to tone up a bit more and perhaps lose 5-7 lbs.
My early observations are a slight increase in weight (just a few pounds) and maybe some water retention. Has anyone noticed slight weight gain when beginning to track macros? The biggest difference in my diet has been switching to leaner proteins, lower-fat options, and a slight increase in complex carbs.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    Options
    Increase in carbs leads to water retention.

If you want to eat lower carbs and higher fat then do that.

You can edit your macro goals in "Goals."
  • nicolenolan1982
    nicolenolan1982 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I had kind of assumed that a higher carb count could have some water retention effects, but i guess I’m wondering if it could be temporary. Overall I’m eating heather fats (leaner) and like the new way of eating. Just hoping the minor increase in weight and/or water retention may be temporary.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Long term the water will level out. If you've been eating lower carb previously, then your weight now will reflect some water retention.

The way to lose weight is by eating fewer calories. The water comes and goes.

I fluctuate five pounds on any given day and I've been logging food for over a decade.

Pick a calorie goal and stick to it, macros are not that important over time.
  • nicolenolan1982
    Options
    Thanks! That’s helpful.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    :)
  • Kcox65
    Kcox65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I workout a lot and eat relatively healthy... have about 5lbs to loose and could t get the scale to budge. I started working with a nutritionist who followed me for several days on this site to see what foods and drinks, exercises I routinely do/consume. She noticed I wasn’t eating enough and needed lots more protein so she really calculated my macros and I have lost a couple pounds and feel great love the more balanced diet and amount I’m consuming :) sooooo eating fewer calories may not be the trick you need for weight loss. it’s what types of calories your consuming especially if your burning extra calories working out. oh, and I am turning 55 this month and am post menopause with Hashimoto’s :(
  • nicolenolan1982
    Options
    I have worried about that too. Meaning eating too few calories. I’m meeting my fat and protein macros for the most part but come short in carbs. I’ll continue to monitor and see what works. Thanks for your input!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    You mention trying to "tone up a bit more": Did you increase exercise, especially strength exercise?

If so, that's a very normal way to have temporarily increased water retention (for muscle repair, basically - just part of how a healthy body functions).

If not, I'd recommend it. Exercise is usually a better way to "tone up", though different people mean different things by that phrase, and strength exercise is a particularly effective way to do it.

Good run-down on other things that can cause weight increases (that aren't fat gain):

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Other than that carbs possibility, it's unlikely to have anything to do with macronutrient balance. Fat loss is pretty much all about calories, especially in the short run. Nutrition, of which macro balance is a part, is for health. In the long run, under-nutrition can cause fatigue (so lead to reduced activity and worse exercise intensity, thus reduce calorie expenditure), or under-nutrition can lead to cravings or increased appetite (making it tough to stick with a weight loss calorie goal. Those can indirectly affect fat loss, but the direct mechanism is still calories.

Long term weight loss is about fat loss, primarily. Shorter run, scale weight is more affected by water weight and digestive contents, neither of which are fat, so they're really not worth stressing about.

Best wishes!