In deficit, but so much weight gained

Options
Anniejazz
Anniejazz Posts: 31 Member
I'm currently on 2000kcal per day on my way to TDEE. I have been in deficit on all but 3 days in the last 3 weeks or so. I have lost a few cms so I know that I'm losing fat, but I have gained 7lb. Everything I read says that water weight is a pound or two, and I know that I can't have gained that much muscle. The fat loss has been, principally, from my thighs, and I look, if anything, worse than I did. Advice and, hopefully, reassurance please.

Replies

• Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be more helpful but I’m not entirely sure. So if you’ve given 3 weeks eating close to tdee and you seem to be gaining weight consistently, then you must actually be surpassing your tdee. Do you can try and eat 10 or 15% less of what you are eating now and see if you lose weight??? Give it again the same 3 weeks. That’s what I’d do. But make sure that’s really not hormonal/water/muscle gains
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you think you are eating above maintenance, lets say 2 lbs of 7 was water weight.

So if thinking 5 lbs was fat (despite losing size), always do the math - because fat is not fast lost or gained.

5 lbs x 3500 cal/lb of fat / 21 days = 833 extra calories over maintenance for fat gain. (or loss too)

Do you think it's really possible you have been eating 833 each and every day on average above your true maintenance?

Even sloppy logging would likely not add up that fast - unless some fat dense foods were very poorly measured.

Are you weighing all you eat?
    Because calories is per gram - not cup or spoon.

Water weight can be more depending on your starting and ending points.

Only valid weigh in to even considering using is:
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

That will minimize known water weight fluctuations.
    If you had several low sodium days prior to starting weigh-in, and a big sodium meal day before ending weigh-in - could easily cause that much water weight gain.
    Or a hard workout day before. Or a hardwork and sweat a lot day before starting weigh in.

So no I would not say you could be gaining fat.

Even if you were 100 calories over maintenance somehow each and every day - it would take 35 days of that to slowly gain 1 lb of fat.

Water weight.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    what are you eating? if it's anything white processed stuff, that will bloat me and my scale like none other very quickly..... white sugar, salt, white flour, white rice, white pasta, anything processed out of a box or bag like granola bars, protein bars etc.. I've dropped 8 lbs of bloat since the 1st eating more whole foods grain free and I feel sooooo much better!! Good luck you got this!
  • CholeRoad
    CholeRoad Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What did you do in the end? Any updates?
  • donialetaif
    donialetaif Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I wanna lose weight, please any advice?
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi, I wanna lose weight, please any advice?

Would be best to start your own topic.
    Unless eat less than you burn is enough advice.
    By reasonable amount for amount to lose.
    Which means you have to provide more details when you create a new topic - amount to lose, amount of activity, ect.
  • leahhardin
    leahhardin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. Just joined. Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic 2 weeks ago. In that 2 weeks I have been at a deficit slightly under 2000 calories a day as prescribed by Doc to lose 2lbs a week based on my weight and nutritional needs. No pastas, breads, rice. Very low carb because of my sugar. Taking this very serious, I have about 100lbs to lose. Measuring and weighing foods AND I have NOT lost ONE pound.
  • heybales
    Options
    leahhardin wrote: »
    Newbie here. Just joined. Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic 2 weeks ago. In that 2 weeks I have been at a deficit slightly under 2000 calories a day as prescribed by Doc to lose 2lbs a week based on my weight and nutritional needs. No pastas, breads, rice. Very low carb because of my sugar. Taking this very serious, I have about 100lbs to lose. Measuring and weighing foods AND I have NOT lost ONE pound.

Calories is per gram, weight, not per volume.

Measuring usually means volume - cups, spoons - not accurate enough.

How did you get the estimate that you burn 3000 calories daily to arrive at eating 2000 to have 1000 deficit?