Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Does anyone think he will appreciate the irony if/when he is infected and symptomatic?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    edited June 2020
    I can't even...
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    It would be nice to think that Darwinism is at work so that the reckless largely bear the consequences of their own actions. But it never really seems to work that way. The responsible always bear a disproportionate share of the consequences for the reckless choices of others. Essential & health workers come to mind first, but mask wearers are for the most part protecting others, while mask shunners are spraying others without altering their personal risk much. It is very much like anti-vaxers relying on herd immunity. Also somewhat like people who make responsible financial and health choices subsidizing the costs to the system that result from those who do not. (I'd like to end this post on an uplifting or optimistic note, but I can't think of one.)

Why is there not an “agree” button?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    debtay123 wrote: »
    our hospitals, nursing homes etc are NOT letting in visitors right now at all. I live in Ga. A sad case- my sister-in-law- lost her grandma in the nursing home yesterday- she feels she died on a broken heart- her grandma stopped eatting a while back, would not take meds, had forbidden the family to put in a feeding tube-(it seems that she THOUGHT they had "thrown her away"( her words) BECAUSE they stopped visiting her. They could not make her understand that due to COVID 19- they could not come to visit- only talk on phone or stand outside the window to wave- but everytime- she told them_"y'all done throwd me away"- this thing is SAD- on so many levels- Stay safe and continue to pray!!!!!!

This is a hard thing with no fast solution. Being a guardian of a 76 year old friend that has been in a nursing home since his mother died in 1992 this is a hard thing especially since he grew up without hearing or getting to go to school and does not have speech. The staff does come out and get the Ensure type drink that I have been taking him for years so he knows I am still alive and have not forgotten him. Over a month ago they had one patient test positive for COVID-19 but they caught it quickly and so far that was the only case. The story is one employee had a family member that tested positive so that was an early warning I guess. Another area home had 13 employees and 7 residents test positive on the first round of testing. A high school friend lost his mom in that case because the number of deaths were high.

Finally caught up on current news and it sounds like large crowds of unmasked stressed out people are becoming the norm again. KY is open again and the traffic is very heavy.

I just saw on FB my church is voting tonight to go back inside or to keep having in car parking lot services. Having family in health care I had stopped going before the Governor shut down the church and now the bad news for Type A blood people I will continue to stay out of crowds. The daughter did the WalMart run for me yesterday because she was going and I was getting low on Half and Half, bananas and apples and honey.

What's the bad news for Type A blood people?

Well, according to the (silly) blood type diet, they should not eat: beef, pork, lamb, dairy, potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes, cabbage, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms, lima beans, or melons, oranges, strawberries, and mangos.

That could definitely be a bummer!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    why not lemur cat? - and what has that to do with coronavirus?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    why not lemur cat? - and what has that to do with coronavirus?

I saw from googling it that it was in some newspapers etc that type A blood type are more prone to catching it but no idea how much truth there is to it.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Supposedly Type A people are more likely to get a more virulent case of Coronavirus. https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200603/Blood-group-type-may-affect-susceptibility-to-COVID-19-respiratory-failure.aspx "A lead SNP was also identified on chromosome 9 at the ABO blood group locus, and further analysis showed that A-positive participants were at a 45% increased for respiratory failure, while individuals with blood group O were at a 35% decreased risk for respiratory failure."
    and
    ""Our data thus aligns with the suggestions that blood group O is associated with lower risk compared with non-O blood groups whereas blood group A is associated with higher risk of acquiring Covid-19 compared with non-A blood groups," the authors state."

I read part of this, and this snp was also in an area with a gene involved in immune response, so definitely preliminary.

They found a second region showing an even stronger association, but there are several genes in the area, so they can't pinpoint one yet.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Supposedly Type A people are more likely to get a more virulent case of Coronavirus. https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200603/Blood-group-type-may-affect-susceptibility-to-COVID-19-respiratory-failure.aspx "A lead SNP was also identified on chromosome 9 at the ABO blood group locus, and further analysis showed that A-positive participants were at a 45% increased for respiratory failure, while individuals with blood group O were at a 35% decreased risk for respiratory failure."
    and
    ""Our data thus aligns with the suggestions that blood group O is associated with lower risk compared with non-O blood groups whereas blood group A is associated with higher risk of acquiring Covid-19 compared with non-A blood groups," the authors state."

I read part of this, and this snp was also in an area with a gene involved in immune response, so definitely preliminary.

They found a second region showing an even stronger association, but there are several genes in the area, so they can't pinpoint one yet.

Somehow I missed this news and of course I’m now googling this like crazy—which, as usual, leaves me more confused. This article (and a few others) suggests the association of A blood type with adverse outcomes and O with less risk of infection was only significant for A+ and O+ (sigh of relief, as oldest son and I are A- and my physician husband is O+, now wondering if my 3 other Rh+ kids ended up A or O, post partum fog erased everything but the big needle).

So continued googling brings up other articles that do not specify Rh +/- (just that A blood group as a whole is at higher risk). So now vaguely uneasy and more confused about whether we need to ramp up our vigilance as our area opens up more.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    and

Thanks for the link.