Guys/Girls: What is your real opinion on..

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    @will_it_go_round_in_circles and @iMago as the two representatives for the entirety of mankind: thank you. For you have confirmed that this behaviour is abnormal.

@eatpolerepeat Do we live in the same city? lol

@that_night_in_paris The idea of exploding hemorrhoids is more frightening than the sunburned Crocs pic yet it's quite fitting for the scenario!

I believe not. That behaviour is world wide it seems lol

Can confirm. When I lived in Japan, there was a group of women (of which I was a part) walking up the street to go hiking on the mountain at the end of the road. As we passed by the shipyard, we suddenly heard a group of boisterous Japanese men start off-key singing "You Are So Beautiful" and cat-calling us while we're sweaty, walking up a hillside in summer and clearly not in anything remotely feminine.

On the one hand, it was hilarious and we had a nice chuckle. On the other hand, it was well.. the same as it would be in the states or I imagine anywhere else men inhabit.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Tan lines? Hot or not?

I think they are hot but I can't explain why. Maybe it outlines the "forbidden" areas? I don't know.
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Woodworking: Hot or not?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »

Every tradeworker is hot in their own way. Even if it's just a hobby kind of thing. Working with one's hands to craft or repair something successfully is an accomplishment.

But, umm, if they're bad at it... 😬
  • hawkeye45_
    Options

Every tradeworker is hot in their own way. Even if it's just a hobby kind of thing. Working with one's hands to craft or repair something successfully is an accomplishment.

But, umm, if they're bad at it... 😬

I'll never forget the first time I presented a piece of handcrafted furniture over which I have sweated and bled (am clumsy) to my wife only hear "Aww you're sweet, but ..."
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    tah46roo7edr.gif

Y'all...
    In light of the Aleksandar Katai/LA Galaxy situation, what would you do if your spouse said something/anything out of line, in public, that jeopardized your job?

Edit: You know what? Edited to say "spouse" instead of "wife" so all sides can be heard.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

I can always appreciate a person who is good at a trade (or who enjoys it as a hobby). It shows initiative and as a creative person myself, I feel I would find a kindred spirit in that person. :)

So... hot. :tongue:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Y'all...
    In light of the Aleksandar Katai/LA Galaxy situation, what would you do if your spouse said something/anything out of line, in public, that jeopardized your job?

This one is tough for sure. I don't even have an answer, just lots of questions. The wife's blatant disregard for her actions impact on her husband's career, is she just dumb or that self centered? If that were my relationship I would be super upset.

I'm not sure I love how the whole situation was handled, but don't have any idea what the "right" way to handle it would have been. He was basically treated a guilty by association. I have mixed feelings about that, I have differing views than my husband on some things, but on the other hand I did chose to marry him despite those things so consequences affect both of us. His public response was, in summary "I will make sure my family gets educated on the matter", which feels a bit 1950s to me, but can't really say I can think of a better response. Presably her posts are not something he supports, he can't really ignore it, what the heck do you say? I guess there is divorce but that's also a big decision and not something I would tell anyone to take lightly.

Yikes!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @4legsRbetterthan2 For any spouse, man/woman to throw all filters and sensitivity to the wind reveals deeper issues. It is passive aggressive behavior. When we have an audience and feel the need to kick someone else to curb so we can show off or get even there's a problem.

The true essence of the grape is revealed when it's squeezed. Whenever we feel the need to take someone down a peg or make them look small with an audience of even one or 1,000's, it's a useless effort to make yourself come out on top. It doesn't work. Relationships like this end up in tatters.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @4legsRbetterthan2 For any spouse, man/woman to throw all filters and sensitivity to the wind reveals deeper issues. It is passive aggressive behavior. When we have an audience and feel the need to kick someone else to curb so we can show off or get even there's a problem.

The true essence of the grape is revealed when it's squeezed. Whenever we feel the need to take someone down a peg or make them look small with an audience of even one or 1,000's, it's a useless effort to make yourself come out on top. It doesn't work. Relationships like this end up in tatters.

👆🙌

I can’t stand anyone who does this to another person in any capacity. Definitely says more about them than it does the person they are trying to embarrass.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I don't think I am understanding what you are trying to get across. I generally understand your point of publicly shaming your spouse isn't cool.

But in this case the husband was thrust into a public, political issue by his wife's actions, got fired publicly for them, and then got left holding the ball on how to publically respond. I don't think he set out to publically shame her originally, if that's your point?

• KosmosKitten
    Options

I don't think I am understanding what you are trying to get across. I generally understand your point of publicly shaming your spouse isn't cool.

But in this case the husband was thrust into a public, political issue by his wife's actions, got fired publicly for them, and then got left holding the ball on how to publically respond. I don't think he set out to publically shame her originally, if that's your point?

I've been reading through the dude's Instagram and the general public consensus is that he married a racist, so therefore he is one. Because "obviously", if you married someone, you had to know that they felt this way about stuff beforehand.

I don't agree with that. You can be married and not necessarily know how deep sentiments go until a situation like this thrusts it to the fore. It's almost like **gasp** they're two different people, despite being married.

I don't feel he should have been fired over what his wife said. They are two different people, he is NOT responsible for the words of his wife. She is her own person and should accept the consequences for those actions. I don't feel he should have been made "an example" by proxy. That's just kinda.. *kitten*.

Unless someone out there has some actual evidence that implicates him as sharing her views.. or that he has made racist remarks before this incident, I kind feel like he got a bum deal.

What I will say, is that he and his wife need to sit down and have some SERIOUS conversations about this though. Considering her actions got him fired from his job and now the whole world seems to think he is automatically a racist by proxy, they either need to figure out how to move forward together, or separately.
  • hawkeye45_
    Options
    I don't know how famous or wealthy this guy is; he may be able to live off of the interest in his savings account for the rest of his life. But I know that most of us here probably couldn't do that. Once the pendulum swings the other way, and it will, do we want losing one's job to be the consequences of posting -- not necessarily having, but posting -- the wrong opinions? I certainly don't wanna find myself on the chopping block for referring to the president as "Trumpster Fire."

And he isn't even the one who said anything.

I don't like this precedent.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    I don't know how famous or wealthy this guy is; he may be able to live off of the interest in his savings account for the rest of his life. But I know that most of us here probably couldn't do that. Once the pendulum swings the other way, and it will, do we want losing one's job to be the consequences of posting -- not necessarily having, but posting -- the wrong opinions? I certainly don't wanna find myself on the chopping block for referring to the president as "Trumpster Fire."

And he isn't even the one who said anything.

I don't like this precedent.

Exactly. If he had been the one to make the remarks, then yes, he absolutely should have been let go. But he wasn't, yet was punished for it anyway.

I kinda feel that his wife is an idiot though. She should know that with fame and spotlight, eyes would also be on her and the things she says, even if she is not him. She's married to him, so yeah.. you gotta at least keep that in mind.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Size matters to a point but so does what you do with it so dont be cocky.

Women- Dont dumb yourself down. Also, keep your jealousy in check. Both traits are incredibly unattractive and your boyfriends friends do notice them and will absolutely give it to him straight when you're not around.

Both sexes- Get your financial *kitten* together. I dont care if you make a lot of money or minimum wage. A person who can adequately manage what they make, live on a budget and live within their means is about 500% more attractive
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Women- Dont dumb yourself down. Also, keep your jealousy in check. Both traits are incredibly unattractive and your boyfriends friends do notice them and will absolutely give it to him straight when you're not around.

Both sexes- Get your financial *kitten* together. I dont care if you make a lot of money or minimum wage. A person who can adequately manage what they make, live on a budget and live within their means is about 500% more attractive

I don't mean to brag, but I have a savings account with 2.5% interest paid monthly AND I'm a month ahead on my mortgage.

Good!
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

I don't mean to brag, but I have a savings account with 2.5% interest paid monthly AND I'm a month ahead on my mortgage.

:lol:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I've been reading through the dude's Instagram and the general public consensus is that he married a racist, so therefore he is one. Because "obviously", if you married someone, you had to know that they felt this way about stuff beforehand.

I don't agree with that. You can be married and not necessarily know how deep sentiments go until a situation like this thrusts it to the fore. It's almost like **gasp** they're two different people, despite being married.

I don't feel he should have been fired over what his wife said. They are two different people, he is NOT responsible for the words of his wife. She is her own person and should accept the consequences for those actions. I don't feel he should have been made "an example" by proxy. That's just kinda.. *kitten*.

Unless someone out there has some actual evidence that implicates him as sharing her views.. or that he has made racist remarks before this incident, I kind feel like he got a bum deal.

What I will say, is that he and his wife need to sit down and have some SERIOUS conversations about this though. Considering her actions got him fired from his job and now the whole world seems to think he is automatically a racist by proxy, they either need to figure out how to move forward together, or separately.

I was wondering if it was strictly a guilty by association deal, and it sounds like it is, so I agree that really stinks for him. I don't agree with his getting fired either.

And yeah, I am sure this is a tough situation for their relationship. I would assume his (soccer?) Career is just over all together. Getting fired for something like this, other teams are highly unlikely to want to associate with you either. Hopefully he's got some sort of back up plan lined up.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Here's one attorney's take on it. It is a very touchy situation. :#

Can you be fired for something your spouse does?

The simple answer is yes.

"One of the biggest areas of concern when it comes to what people say is social media.

Even if your company lacks a policy in place concerning your off-the-clock social media behavior, your spouse is not protected.

You can be fired if your spouse goes on a social media rant. Examples include about how bad your work environment is or how poorly you’re treated.

The bottom line? Even if you think your employer will be understanding or that you can smooth things over after your spouse goes public with your workplace complaints, it’s better to keep those opinions off social media.

No matter how bad your work environment might be, it doesn’t make you look any better if you or your spouse are complaining on social media. If something illegal is occurring in your workplace, you need to take appropriate legal action. And if the things you’re dealing with are not illegal, do what you can to remedy the problem instead of taking to social media to complain about it.

Keep in mind, anything you say or your spouse says on social media is there for all the public to see it, and if a future potential employer sees it, it could affect their desire to consider you."

Borrelli & Associates
    Employment Law