What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Subway is one of the few fast-food places I sometimes go by myself, when not on the road. Not the sandwiches, though: The nice big salad (everything but jalapenos, plus cheese & sometimes egg), with guac and vinegar, for which I need do no work at all, just order and pay. I'm in favor of Subway.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Subway is one of the few fast-food places I sometimes go by myself, when not on the road. Not the sandwiches, though: The nice big salad (everything but jalapenos, plus cheese & sometimes egg), with guac and vinegar, for which I need do no work at all, just order and pay. I'm in favor of Subway.

I was going to comment about how awesome the salads are at subway. I like to get them when traveling or when I am too lazy to pack a salad for lunch. Love to get the veggie with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives, banana peppers, green peppers with the fat free italian dressing packet.

I do like subway subs, but only occasionally. A few times a year I just get a craving for a subway sub. They have a unique taste that only subway subs have, lol.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

I was going to comment about how awesome the salads are at subway. I like to get them when traveling or when I am too lazy to pack a salad for lunch. Love to get the veggie with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives, banana peppers, green peppers with the fat free italian dressing packet.

I do like subway subs, but only occasionally. A few times a year I just get a craving for a subway sub. They have a unique taste that only subway subs have, lol.

They have a unique smell too. I had a friend who knew I had gone to Subway before meeting up with her because she could SMELL it on me.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

They have a unique smell too. I had a friend who knew I had gone to Subway before meeting up with her because she could SMELL it on me.

I does have a unique smell lol!
    I've always found the produce subpar - just tastes/looks like typical fast food bagged/pale/flavorless roughage.
    I do, however, remember having and liking a cookie I had there many, many years ago.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I does have a unique smell lol!
    I've always found the produce subpar - just tastes/looks like typical fast food bagged/pale/flavorless roughage.
    I do, however, remember having and liking a cookie I had there many, many years ago.

The Subway hype and smell and addiction (lol) comes from the bread. don't look at the ingredients. toxic!

I do liek their cookies...
  • pancakerunner
    oijqu505zgof.png

• PAPYRUS3
    oijqu505zgof.png

that explains the unique smell 🤣
  • AnnPT77
    oijqu505zgof.png

Since most bread really isn't even good**, except maybe as a useful device to make sandwiches more portable, I can't say that I care.

Chemikillz aren't inherently scary just because big words or what else they're ingredients in, though. Consider Dihydrogen Monoxide. Kills many people every year, including some by simple ingestion, but I chose to consume lots of the stuff. (For full factual warnings, see http://dhmo.org)

** In my own personal very biased opinion. ;) Y'all who think it's great can have my share, except the one local farmers market guy's focaccia, and maybe a few other select cases.
  • pancakerunner
    oijqu505zgof.png

Since most bread really isn't even good**, except maybe as a useful device to make sandwiches more portable, I can't say that I care.

Chemikillz aren't inherently scary just because big words or what else they're ingredients in, though. Consider Dihydrogen Monoxide. Kills many people every year, including some by simple ingestion, but I chose to consume lots of the stuff. (For full factual warnings, see http://dhmo.org)

** In my own personal very biased opinion. ;) Y'all who think it's great can have my share, except the one local farmers market guy's focaccia, and maybe a few other select cases.

I think what is scarier is the soybean oil! haha
  • pancakerunner
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

my favorite summertime app!
  • PAPYRUS3
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

my favorite summertime app!

I'd like this very much too...actually reminds me of when I was in University and didn't have much money - so I would drizzle some cheap Kraft Ranch dressing on a saltine cracker with sliced English cuc's on top. dinner lol!
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    I don't like watermelon or mango
  • RelCanonical
    River314 wrote: »

The fruits I don’t like are peaches and blueberries. I don’t even like peach flavored things, and the actual fruit texture bothers me. Blueberries taste metallic to me, but I can tolerate them if mixed with other fruit.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

The fruits I don’t like are peaches and blueberries. I don’t even like peach flavored things, and the actual fruit texture bothers me. Blueberries taste metallic to me, but I can tolerate them if mixed with other fruit.

I like most fruit, but mostly on their own. I'm not generally fond of things like blueberry muffins, and I have to be in the mood for a fruit-filled pie.
  • Jumpropegirl5467
    Jumpropegirl5467 Posts: 98 Member
    Hate Mayo, seafood especially sushi and cod fish that’s gross.
  • RelCanonical
    ejbronte wrote: »

I like most fruit, but mostly on their own. I'm not generally fond of things like blueberry muffins, and I have to be in the mood for a fruit-filled pie.

I actually like blueberry muffins, I think cooking them helps cut the metallic taste for me. Generally, though, I'm the same, and prefer fruit on its own. I generally don't like pieces of things in my baked goods, I prefer a smooth texture. Nuts are okay, but fruit (and especially raisins) create a weird texture unless they "melt" enough to better match the texture of the rest of the food. Texture is a big part of my food dislikes, and even the context of the texture - raisins are fine on their own, but I can't stand them in cakes or cookies.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member

I actually like blueberry muffins, I think cooking them helps cut the metallic taste for me. Generally, though, I'm the same, and prefer fruit on its own. I generally don't like pieces of things in my baked goods, I prefer a smooth texture. Nuts are okay, but fruit (and especially raisins) create a weird texture unless they "melt" enough to better match the texture of the rest of the food. Texture is a big part of my food dislikes, and even the context of the texture - raisins are fine on their own, but I can't stand them in cakes or cookies.

Cantaloupe is gross, strawberries ( most berries) are only good with something on them, bananas taste awesome but banana flavored anything is a disappointment.
  • RelCanonical
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Cantaloupe is gross, strawberries ( most berries) are only good with something on them, bananas taste awesome but banana flavored anything is a disappointment.

I'm picky about cantaloupe, it has to be good ripe cantaloupe. I hate it when I get bits that are hard. I could eat strawberries for an eternity, though. Same with bananas, and I do like banana flavored things, although they don't taste like banana (which I've heard is due to it being based off of a mostly-extinct strain of banana).
  • AnnPT77
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Offhand, I can't think of a fruit I dislike, but some are kind of "meh" (maybe because I've never had a good one - I'm thinking of some of the tropicals).

But artificial banana flavoring? That stuff tastes really, really awful . . . like bad plastic.

I saw the comment about "based on different banana varieties" and there may be something to it . . . but, to me, dried bananas have some of the same icky plastic-y taste about them, and I don't like those at all either.

Most other dried fruit is fine, as long as not drenched in sugar to the point of no other flavor but sweetness. (I prefer most dried fruit unsweetened, except super tart things like cranberries.)

I do tend to like artificial green apple and watermelon flavors, in the right context, though. But they don't taste like actual green apple or watermelon to me.