Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, June 9, 2020

whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,232 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday- misterhub (Greg)
Tuesday- whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday-MASSRUNNER (Frank)
Thursday- beachwoman2006 (Cindy)
Friday- imastar2 (Derrick)

Today's Topic: Slow Steady Leak or a Few Burst Pipes?

Is/was your weight gain the result of consistently eating a few too many calories over time, or is/was it the result of having a few too many incidents of gross overeating. Both? Something else? Does it matter?

Bonus Question: Favorite summer fruit.

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,856 Member
    Is/was your weight gain the result of consistently eating a few too many calories over time, or is/was it the result of having a few too many incidents of gross overeating. Both? Something else? Does it matter?
    Both!

Bonus Question: Favorite summer fruit. Does Sangria count?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Both. Big portions. Bad choices. Beer, scotch, pizza, los of fried stuff and sweets, all had prominent places in my food pyramid.

Then came the wining and dining. Assemble the gang and we’d “go out for dinner.” 4-5 hrs. The whole was greater than the sum of its parts.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,929 Member
    Weight gain was a combination of overeating/benging and also letting mine creep up overtime.

Pre WW however I struggled with untreated severe sleep apnea. Once under treatment (subscription bi/pap therapy) recovery began. Able to lose weight just needed to lose twice what I needed the first time.

Battle goes on.

Tracking days June 8 Yes 8 /No 0😀
    SW/CW/GW 06/08/20 Monday
    400.8/314.4/185 [+3.2] ☹
    Daily WI
    Total Loss 86.4 bs
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,232 Member
    As I've paid attention to my eating over the years, I've realized that my weight gain is more likely due to a smaller number of over-eating "incidents" rather than daily/weekly overeating. To put it simply, if I gained 25 pounds over the course of a year, it would more likely be from overeating on 30-40 days versus 300 days. I think knowing this is important because it helps me understand where to focus my efforts. The question was prompted by a craptastic eating day yesterday. I devoured a bunch of junk food (partly because I went to grocery store hungry.) I've had good deficits for several weeks, but that one day can undo all of that.

So I think part of my eating "work" is recognizing/minimizing those 30-40 days.

Bonus Question: I get awfully excited about Rainier cherries every year. And in-season strawberries can't be beat.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    My weight gain was over a long period of time. Ten pounds one year, fifteen the next year, ten the next year and so on until I was 75 pounds overweight. And it wasn't usually prolonged period of overeating...it was a week here and there. But, eventually, the days/weeks where I overate were greater than the days where I didn't and voila...weight gain year after year.

That's one reason it helps me to weigh frequently. While I'm a bit over my official goal weight, it's still in the "neighborhood".

What I want to know is why in the name of all things sensible do I have such a hard time dropping 10-15 pounds now!?
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,931 Member
    My weight issues were due to a combination of both chronic and acute(-ish) overeating.

I was pretty thin when I got to college, but while there I put on the "freshman 15" (or whatever it's called), and established a new baseline of eating more food and less-heathy food. Over time, that pattern continued and I found it progressively easier to simply order food in or eat out somewhere. Throw in getting married, some kids, etc., and those patterns continued.

On top of that, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Part of the treatment included steroid "pulses." Each time I had to go on steroids, I'd probably gain 10-20 pounds, and when I'd go off of then I'd only lose 5-10. The weight from steroids is a mix of "chemically-induced" and self-induced weight gain (steroids made me super-hungry all of the time).

After a few rounds of steroids things settled out with the UC, but I found myself at my highest weight ever. That ultimately led to my joining weight watchers after a few years.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,161 Member
    edited June 2020
    I am a stress eater. My current poundage is the result of self-medicating over a long period of time that started during my period of extended unemployment.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    While I certainly had days of binge eating that got me to my all time high of 304 pounds, the weight gain was attributable to eating more calories than I needed nearly every day. It was a shock every time I would get serious about counting calories and realize just how much I had been deceiving myself about my consumption.

My most recent weight creepage is attributed to the stress of covering two full-time positions at my current employer. I soothe myself by eating. The pandemic led to the loss of my morning routine of the fitness center as well as a dramatic decrease in incidental movement.

Things are slowly improving as part of my job activities have resumed onsite. The increase in social interaction with the residents is helping pull me out of my depression. I still have anxiety about the future of our university, our community, our world.

Bonus: raspberries
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,161 Member
    I forgot to answer the bonus question: Any of the stone fruits - peaches, nectarines, plums.

Mmm...