60 yrs and up

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Good luck! We have a Blink (similar to Ring, but cheaper). It caught the coon walking in back yard, but not it bothering the feeders.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Happy Monday. Hope everyone has been doing well and feeling happy with their choices. Today's weigh-in was good with my vacation ++ coming back down. Although I went a little overboard for that week, coming back to good habits seemed so comfortable and being in control of food and movement made the crazy world feel safer. I've been getting up early and taking a walk in the sunshine before the heat of the day takes over. It's easy enough to step back and keep distanced if someone approaches on the path and people are now required to wear masks in the building hallways. My lettuce and herbs are doing great. Lots of time for a good book. Keep moving forward, stay safe.
    Friend Hugs. Om....
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) I'm still staying home except for walking in my wide open neighborhood and working in my yard. Life is good.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Greetings, all. Good scale reading this morning - back below 190. I should reach my June 30 goal if I'm diligent. I may actually get below 180 by year end.

Not going to the gym often enough, but walking every day. The dog sees to that - HAHA! :D

Is life back to normal for most of you? Idaho has opened for everything except large gatherings. Physical distancing everywhere - masks required in some places, but otherwise business as usual.

Have an awesome week, everyone. Off to the salt mines! :)
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    My DH had a medical procedure and after he was given LORNA DOONE cookies. He loved them so much that he asked me to buy them for him, which I did. Now he says that they are not the same taste like the ones in the med. center - they taste salty to him and in med. center they were sweet without a hint of salt. So, I tasted them for the first time ever and they do have a salty aftertaste. I wonder if there are a few varieties of those cookies and if there are which ones should I buy?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    7sorok wrote: »
    My DH had a medical procedure and after he was given LORNA DOONE cookies. He loved them so much that he asked me to buy them for him, which I did. Now he says that they are not the same taste like the ones in the med. center - they taste salty to him and in med. center they were sweet without a hint of salt. So, I tasted them for the first time ever and they do have a salty aftertaste. I wonder if there are a few varieties of those cookies and if there are which ones should I buy?

Fundamentally, Lorna Doones are shortbread cookies. You could try other shortbread cookies with less sodium on the nutrition label.

Online info says (assuming those labels are current):

Lorna Doones are 220mg sodium per 42g of cookie (5.23mg sodium per g).
    Pepperidge Farm Chessmen are 80mg sodium per 26g of cookie (3.07mg sodium per g)
    Walkers Shortbread are 80mg sodium per 28g of cookie (2.85mg per g)

Maybe try one of those other brands? Shortbread cookies are also very easy to make. The classic recipe doesn't include need to include salt, can be just butter (you could use unsalted), sugar, flour. Lorna Doones do have salt. Walkers do. Chessmen don't (but don't specify whether the butter is salted or not, and do have baking soda which is also sodium).
  • barbiecat
    :) Washington State is returning to normal very slowly. My county is returning more quickly than the urban areas but our libraries and churches are closed as is the venue where I teach line dance. I haven't changed anything that I've been doing since March.

:'( We have rain today and for the next few days so my fun in the garden will be on hold for awhile. It will be good for the cucumber plant that has already produced two cucumbers to eat and for the zucchini plants that are rapidly acquiring new leaves.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    The stakeout didn't work, I checked every 15 minutes in the dark and nothing happened. After I gave up at 1am, the next morning it was empty. So, just bringing the feeder in everything night, as long as I remember to.
    Other than that, it's been in the 90s last week and no rain. We were supposed to get some remnants of Cristobel, but it didn't reach us. We put our little pool out, 10'x3', and the grandsons have been splashing around, 6 year old, "Grandma, did you know I was half shark?" Umm, no Lucas I didn't...
    I went shopping with my daughter on Sunday and had a great time, getting ready for her birthday trip to Mrytle Beach! Hope we still get to without getting quarantined....
    Thinking about what to do with logging while we're there, I don't have a tablet and I have trouble logging using my phone. I might just take my laptop. I don't want to take a vacation break because my 1 year MFP anniversary is while we're there. I'll figure something out.
    Hope everyone is doing well!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Hope your trip will be amazing!
  • teresadannar
    Good morning everyone, I have a question. What is a simple, accurate way to figure your TDEE without using a caliper to determine your body fat%?
  • teresadannar
    FYI...looking for a crayon version.
  • letsgo724
    letsgo724 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, over 60 and have tried this several times. I find that when I get to the end of the day, if I have extra calories left, I go for the wrong thing. Anyone else??
  • teresadannar
    letsgo724 wrote: »
    Hi, over 60 and have tried this several times. I find that when I get to the end of the day, if I have extra calories left, I go for the wrong thing. Anyone else??

Hi! I'm thinking that if you have extra calories at the end of the day, there isn't any wrong choices as long as you stay within your limit. I've had a serving size of ice cream(count the grams!) and a kit kat stick for a late night snack and still remained at goal. Also, you can look at the week, 1 day you might go over, and another you are under.
  • barbiecat
    letsgo724 wrote: »

:) I plan my food for the day before the day begins and plan an appropriate evening snack. Also, there's nothing wrong with having calories left over at the end of the day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    edited June 2020
    Good morning everyone, I have a question. What is a simple, accurate way to figure your TDEE without using a caliper to determine your body fat%?
    FYI...looking for a crayon version.

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but one option that may give you some insights is the Sailrabbit calculator. It displays results from several different research-based formulas, some that require body fat percent (BF%), and some that don't; and it has more activity levels than a lot of the other TDEE calculators do.

For the Sailrabbit formulas that use body fat, I think this is a case where you could use the BF% estimate from a BIA scale or handheld device, especially if you have the opportunity to get the BF% estimate on different days and average them. These are not accurate estimates, but it would give you a clue whether your BF% might be different enough from the average of others your size/age to be a meaningful factor.

I suspect that an alternative to a BIA device in these cases might be an estimate from some of the (also inaccurate ;) ) online BF% "calculators". The reason I think an inaccurate BF% estimate might be OK-ish in this case is that the difference in calorie level isn't huge, for a single-digit percent difference in BF%. You can kind of get yourself into the calorie ballpark, maybe, even though the precise BF% number is questionable. You can do a web search to find this kind of calculator. Some just ask for tape-measurements from different body parts, plus your age/height/weight type data.

Another option is a spreadsheet that a user here (heybales, I believe) created that breaks down your input options in a bit more nuanced way. It's here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing (you have to download it to use it).

The best option for accurate TDEE is to use your own logging data, assuming you're fairly meticulous** about logging consistently over a period of at least a small number of weeks. To do that, take a period of time, and figure out your total weight loss for that period, and count the number of days in the same period. Add up your food calories over the same time period. Then use this formula

TDEE estimate = ((pounds lost X 3500) + calories eaten) / days in time period

** In one sense, "meticulous" might not even be as important as one would think, since most of us have semi-consistent eating and exercise habits. If your data is approximate and you over-estimate your TDEE from it, continued logging at that same approximation level will tend to produce consistent results, as things average out.

If you're actually at the point of moving into maintenance, there's a thread in the Maintaining area's "Most Helpful Posts" about how to find the calorie level, with lots of good multi-user discussion:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level/p1
  • teresadannar
    @AnnPT77, this is what I'm looking for:
    TDEE estimate = ((pounds lost X 3500) + calories eaten) / days in time period
    Thank you!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Did a kettlebell circuit early at the gym today. Spent the morning working on a bathroom sink drain. I like old houses - but old plumbing, not so much. 😒 Off to work in the afternoon.

Have an awesome weekend, y'all!🎇
  • barbiecat
    :'( So much rain this morning that the dogs gave up walking after 20 minutes and I walked alone for the next hour. It was better this afternoon so the dogs enjoyed their walk.

:) Otherwise a happy day, just like all the ones before.

<3 Barbie
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    What is TDEE?