What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    River314 wrote: »
    I don't like watermelon or mango

The fruits I don’t like are peaches and blueberries. I don’t even like peach flavored things, and the actual fruit texture bothers me. Blueberries taste metallic to me, but I can tolerate them if mixed with other fruit.

I like most fruit, but mostly on their own. I'm not generally fond of things like blueberry muffins, and I have to be in the mood for a fruit-filled pie.

I actually like blueberry muffins, I think cooking them helps cut the metallic taste for me. Generally, though, I'm the same, and prefer fruit on its own. I generally don't like pieces of things in my baked goods, I prefer a smooth texture. Nuts are okay, but fruit (and especially raisins) create a weird texture unless they "melt" enough to better match the texture of the rest of the food. Texture is a big part of my food dislikes, and even the context of the texture - raisins are fine on their own, but I can't stand them in cakes or cookies.

Cantaloupe is gross, strawberries ( most berries) are only good with something on them, bananas taste awesome but banana flavored anything is a disappointment.

Offhand, I can't think of a fruit I dislike, but some are kind of "meh" (maybe because I've never had a good one - I'm thinking of some of the tropicals).

But artificial banana flavoring? That stuff tastes really, really awful . . . like bad plastic.

I saw the comment about "based on different banana varieties" and there may be something to it . . . but, to me, dried bananas have some of the same icky plastic-y taste about them, and I don't like those at all either.

Most other dried fruit is fine, as long as not drenched in sugar to the point of no other flavor but sweetness. (I prefer most dried fruit unsweetened, except super tart things like cranberries.)

I do tend to like artificial green apple and watermelon flavors, in the right context, though. But they don't taste like actual green apple or watermelon to me.

Here's an article on the origin of banana flavoring: https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/why-doesnt-artificial-banana-flavor-taste-bananas

I think that any artificial fruit flavor does a terrible job at resembling its real fruit counterpart, so I like to judge them on their own, as they'd fail in the comparison test!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

my favorite summertime app!

Why would this be unpopular? Slice of bread, cream cheese and cucumber. Nice, cold and refreshing.

a lot of people don't like pumpernickel :)
  • RelCanonical
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

Why would this be unpopular? Slice of bread, cream cheese and cucumber. Nice, cold and refreshing.

I used to hate pumpernickel, definitely one of the foods I grew into as I became an adult.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Not sure if this is unpopular but sugary candy like Jolly ranchers, starbursts, swedish fish, etc. are pointless.

Also, tootsie rolls and Rolo's are not good.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Not sure if this is unpopular but sugary candy like Jolly ranchers, starbursts, swedish fish, etc. are pointless.

WHAT ABOUT GUMMI BEARS?!?
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »

The fruits I don’t like are peaches and blueberries. I don’t even like peach flavored things, and the actual fruit texture bothers me. Blueberries taste metallic to me, but I can tolerate them if mixed with other fruit.

I like most fruit, but mostly on their own. I'm not generally fond of things like blueberry muffins, and I have to be in the mood for a fruit-filled pie.

I actually like blueberry muffins, I think cooking them helps cut the metallic taste for me. Generally, though, I'm the same, and prefer fruit on its own. I generally don't like pieces of things in my baked goods, I prefer a smooth texture. Nuts are okay, but fruit (and especially raisins) create a weird texture unless they "melt" enough to better match the texture of the rest of the food. Texture is a big part of my food dislikes, and even the context of the texture - raisins are fine on their own, but I can't stand them in cakes or cookies.

Cantaloupe is gross, strawberries ( most berries) are only good with something on them, bananas taste awesome but banana flavored anything is a disappointment.

Offhand, I can't think of a fruit I dislike, but some are kind of "meh" (maybe because I've never had a good one - I'm thinking of some of the tropicals).

But artificial banana flavoring? That stuff tastes really, really awful . . . like bad plastic.

I saw the comment about "based on different banana varieties" and there may be something to it . . . but, to me, dried bananas have some of the same icky plastic-y taste about them, and I don't like those at all either.

Most other dried fruit is fine, as long as not drenched in sugar to the point of no other flavor but sweetness. (I prefer most dried fruit unsweetened, except super tart things like cranberries.)

I do tend to like artificial green apple and watermelon flavors, in the right context, though. But they don't taste like actual green apple or watermelon to me.

Dried banana is foul! Maybe banana chips. I loved dried unsweetened fruit. Yes watermelon and green apple flavor, expecially when I liked Jolly Ranchers.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

Mostly not vegetarian. ;)
  • RelCanonical
    edited June 2020

I used to hate tootsie rolls because they were the common "cheap" candy you got in your bag during Halloween. I've grown to enjoy them more, especially in all the different sizes they have. Jolly ranchers haven't enjoyed the same renaissance.

Swedish fish, though, is one of my favorite fruity candies, although I'd probably still choose most chocolates over it.
  • RelCanonical

Okay, gonna get cranky and argue with that "disagree".

It's not the bear part. It's the gummi part.

Most brands of gummies contain gelatin. Gelatin is not vegetarian. Period. It's an animal product. Statement of fact.

There are a few "vegan" brands of gummies that don't have gelatin, but have something like agar or pectin instead. Those would be vegetarian bears. Y'know, kinda like vegetarian bacon. :lol:

Fun facts: Marshmallows are normally not vegetarian, either, but marshmallow fluff is. Not vegan/plant-based, usually, though - egg whites.

What is everyone's general opinion on marshmallow fluff? I adore it, but I don't like fluffernutter sandwiches. Too much stickiness, felt like I was going to choke when I ate it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2020
    I agree. I am not a fan of sugar candies or gummies. As a kid I loved them though. Now I’d just prefer something with peanut butter or chocolate or nuts.

Now and laters are terrible. So are airheads, skittles, and Twizzlers.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    I agree -- I hate Rolos! :s And I love fluffernutter sandwiches!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

I used to hate pumpernickel, definitely one of the foods I grew into as I became an adult.

Pumpernickel and rye are my top two favorite bread types. That is one reason I like tumaros wraps so much is because they have them in pumpernickel and rye. (Well used to, they discontinued the rye recently and now it’s just a pumpernickel and rye combo lol)
  • RelCanonical
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

Pumpernickel and rye are my top two favorite bread types. That is one reason I like tumaros wraps so much is because they have them in pumpernickel and rye. (Well used to, they discontinued the rye recently and now it’s just a pumpernickel and rye combo lol)

Whaaaa jealous. We have Tumaros at my store but I've never seen pumpernickel or rye.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited June 2020
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

Whaaaa jealous. We have Tumaros at my store but I've never seen pumpernickel or rye.

They are the best! The only ones I buy are those and the everything bagel and sourdough. I don't like the small ones. The big ones have been out of stock a lot recently because they had to shut down production for awhile due to Covid and it has been so hard to find them. I buy every pack on the rack when I find them, lol!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Candy is my preworkout so definitely not pointless for me :)
  • RelCanonical
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

They are the best! The only ones I buy are those and the everything bagel and sourdough. I don't like the small ones. The big ones have been out of stock a lot recently because they had to shut down production for awhile due to Covid and it has been so hard to find them. I buy every pack on the rack when I find them, lol!

Whaaaa we don't have sourdough either, but the everything bagel ones are good. They were out of stock for a bit here, but have come back recently. I stock up when they go on sale.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

Okay, gonna get cranky and argue with that "disagree".

It's not the bear part. It's the gummi part.

Most brands of gummies contain gelatin. Gelatin is not vegetarian. Period. It's an animal product. Statement of fact.

There are a few "vegan" brands of gummies that don't have gelatin, but have something like agar or pectin instead. Those would be vegetarian bears. Y'know, kinda like vegetarian bacon. :lol:

Fun facts: Marshmallows are normally not vegetarian, either, but marshmallow fluff is. Not vegan/plant-based, usually, though - egg whites.

For the record, it was NOT me that disagreed. I looked up vegan gummies...they are not too easy to come by, but Annie's has a bunny fruit snack that's vegan. I think the vegan varieties fall in more that "fruit snack" category, which are a little different texturally from traditional gummis.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

Oh, yes, texture counts for so much with me! It's one of the reasons I tend to dislike mushrooms and a great deal of seafood.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

Cucumber sandwiches play a part in Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest" - see this clip - for the cucumbers specifically at the three minute mark. There are no cucumbers because Algernon has eaten all the sandwiches before his aunt's entrance, even though he ordered them especially for her:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No0fjBDzUlA