Gym Guidelines

13»

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Just curious for those that aren't going back to the gym when allowed, are you going to (or will be going to) other places, places of worship, dine in restaurants, bars, haircuts, nail salons, your workplace, etc that have been closed due to the virus and reopen?

My thought is the same people that are developing reopening standards for these places to be safe are developing the standards for gyms so they should be safe also. That being said, from a personal perspective (and I'm sure not hoping anyone gets sick in other areas due to reopening) we're in IL and we have some of the most stringent restrictions in the US so personally have the results of other areas to base my thoughts on.

Stay safe out there.

Nope to all of those. I don’t even have a choice regarding my workplace. I teach and my university is officially online through the summer (so till the end of August) and is leaning toward online classes for the fall as well. So I’m possibly working from home until January.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Just curious for those that aren't going back to the gym when allowed, are you going to (or will be going to) other places, places of worship, dine in restaurants, bars, haircuts, nail salons, your workplace, etc that have been closed due to the virus and reopen?

My thought is the same people that are developing reopening standards for these places to be safe are developing the standards for gyms so they should be safe also. That being said, from a personal perspective (and I'm sure not hoping anyone gets sick in other areas due to reopening) we're in IL and we have some of the most stringent restrictions in the US so personally have the results of other areas to base my thoughts on.

Stay safe out there.

New Mexico is phasing things open based on risk and high contact vs lesser contact. May 16 we opened up what was "non essential" retail with capacity limitations. Barber shops, salons, gyms, etc are considered high contact. Right now we're phase opening...waiting a couple of weeks and then loosening the belt a bit more.

June 1 we should most likely see restaurants open for dine in with capacity limits and distancing...same for bars and from what I understand likely small one on one training gyms and stand alone studio classes limited to 10 people, and I think salons and barber shops and such. It will likely be awhile before we see big box gyms open up...mine easily had 300+ people during busy times. Concert venues, sporting events and the like are going to be way out there on the timeline.

As to whether or not I will participate in these things, really depends and my own personal risk assessment. I'd like to take my wife out for dinner as we had planned to do for her birthday in April...so we will likely do that, but that's not an everyday or even a routine thing for us, so I would deem the risk low. Going to a big box gym 3-5x per week IMO would be a riskier activity that I won't be participating in for quite awhile, if ever again. My wife gets her hair done every 2-3 months, so again...not something I see as terribly high risk and I shave my own head and cut my boys' hair.

Things I won't be doing for awhile even when they do open up would be going to a movie theater, taking my kids to the trampoline park, going to church, big box gyms, climbing gym, etc...basically things where there are likely to be a lot of people and close contact.

My wife and I were talking the other day that other than working from home, not a whole lot is different for us...we have realized that we didn't really ever go out much. Most of our social interactions revolve around having friends or family over to BBQ and swim and hang out and the things we do go out to do, we still can...hiking, camping, cycling, etc...though I do miss our Sunday family rides to bike in coffee...hopefully that will open soon.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member

Stay safe out there.

Nope my household isn’t going to any of those places anytime soon. Working in digital marketing, I can do everything at my home office that I can in office and my company recognizes that, so we’re all wfh until further notice - at least the rest of the year, if not left with the option to stay that way beyond. My husband’s work, while not digital marketing, is likewise just as productive from his home office as in the “regular” office.

And the kitties luckily work full time from home normally 😼😆
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Stay safe out there.

I'm not ready to do any of the things you mention yet (although locally not of those are available yet -- we're eyeing the end of next week to start phase 1 opening, if current trends continue). I'm inclined to give it two to three weeks after stuff reopens to see whether cases, hospitalizations, and deaths start rising again; if everything looks good, I might start thinking about the gym, dine-"in" restaurants that have outdoor seating, and "non-essential" stores that have reopened that I can make brief visits to ... I would still want to wait on indoor dining, places of worship, bars, haircuts, nail salons. Luckily I was already working from home full-time before this all started, so that won't be an issue for me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Stay safe out there.

New Mexico is phasing things open based on risk and high contact vs lesser contact. May 16 we opened up what was "non essential" retail with capacity limitations. Barber shops, salons, gyms, etc are considered high contact. Right now we're phase opening...waiting a couple of weeks and then loosening the belt a bit more.

June 1 we should most likely see restaurants open for dine in with capacity limits and distancing...same for bars and from what I understand likely small one on one training gyms and stand alone studio classes limited to 10 people, and I think salons and barber shops and such. It will likely be awhile before we see big box gyms open up...mine easily had 300+ people during busy times. Concert venues, sporting events and the like are going to be way out there on the timeline.

As to whether or not I will participate in these things, really depends and my own personal risk assessment. I'd like to take my wife out for dinner as we had planned to do for her birthday in April...so we will likely do that, but that's not an everyday or even a routine thing for us, so I would deem the risk low. Going to a big box gym 3-5x per week IMO would be a riskier activity that I won't be participating in for quite awhile, if ever again. My wife gets her hair done every 2-3 months, so again...not something I see as terribly high risk and I shave my own head and cut my boys' hair.

Things I won't be doing for awhile even when they do open up would be going to a movie theater, taking my kids to the trampoline park, going to church, big box gyms, climbing gym, etc...basically things where there are likely to be a lot of people and close contact.

My wife and I were talking the other day that other than working from home, not a whole lot is different for us...we have realized that we didn't really ever go out much. Most of our social interactions revolve around having friends or family over to BBQ and swim and hang out and the things we do go out to do, we still can...hiking, camping, cycling, etc...though I do miss our Sunday family rides to bike in coffee...hopefully that will open soon.

I'm curious what "bike in coffee" is (assuming it's not an auto-correct error). Is it like drive-thru coffee, but for bikes?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Stay safe out there.

I think the people developing the standards are doing the human best they're able, to strike a good balance between safety and the economy or "normal life" (in the best-run jurisdictions, at least), and they're involving people from the affected kinds of businesses in creating those guidelines.

I think some places will comply with the guidelines, understand the point so adapt them intelligently, and go beyond the minimums. Other places will go through the motions, if that. In my personal life, I have some intuition about which places will likely be which, and I can observe what they actually do.

Risks in some places are more vulnerable to the behavior of the patrons, or certain lines of business inherently involve more contagion risks than others. I have some intuitions about those things as well, same opportunity to observe, and ability to do my own reading/research to get a more nuanced view about which are more/less risky. Places where people linger, touch lots of things, won't wear masks, breathe heavily or equivalent, humid/warm environment, questionable ventilation: Nope.

Some services I would normally take advantage of, or places I would normally go, are more vital to me individually than others. This will differ by person. (Jobs are pretty vital to most people. Even so, I expect some people to switch jobs for reasons related to contagion.)

So, personally, especially as a person doubly at risk (age, relevant health condition), I'm not going out just because they've been opened, much as I respect those doing the planning. I'll go where I need to go, avoiding places that are optional to me, and that I see as relatively riskier. Since I'm retired, that includes avoiding pretty much everything you listed.

For the foreseeable future, I plan quick trips for needed supplies only. I'll probably start rowing when the water's warm enough to row my single calmly (only one person allowed in the boathouse at a time right now, and that's the boat I can carry, but my technique is Winter-rusty and I'm not a great swimmer, especially if hypothermic :lol: ) or when we're allowed to have multiple people in the boathouse together (6' distances will be pretty easy, carrying 20'+ boats with one person at each end).

I'm not expecting that V-shaped economic recovery the optimists are hoping for. It's going to be an interesting couple of years; I hope to be here to see it play out.
  • Mrs_Addams
    Mrs_Addams Posts: 9 Member
    Our gyms in the UK won't be open until July at the very earliest, and it'll likely be a while after that. Personally, I'll be going back as soon as they open. I'll take all the precautions I need to - choosing quiet hours, disinfecting equipment before & after use, washing my hands, wearing a mask etc. I simply don't have the space in my small apartment for home workouts, and no outside space either. I do run outside (can't stand treadmills at the best of times) but I am missing spin classes and using the weights, so once they become available I'll be back at them.
  • jadu1536
    jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
    My brother really wants to go back to the gym - but I am trying to convince him otherwise
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    My brother really wants to go back to the gym - but I am trying to convince him otherwise

Why if it is opening within mandatory safety guidelines?

Are you avoiding business that have reopened/relaxed restrictions?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    My gym opened today, I really miss it but am not planning to go except been thinking if I would be taking a risk if I just went to the pool there & took my towel to pool area with me, not use the locker room at all & just shower & change at home? I don't know yet. As far as going other places, I rarely went. I don't eat out, don't go to movies & don't like shopping. I only like grocery shopping & me & husband go every 2 weeks or so. I do go to church but it's been on line & don't know when they will re open & don't know if I'll go soon after. The only thing I really miss is the dog park. I feel safe going there, I don't stand or sit around but keep walking the perimeter so my dogs will keep walking. They locked it up after the virus started. There are a few guys who happened to have the key so they unlocked it in the morning & locked it back up at night (yes I was going a few weeks ago for about 2 weeks) but the city found out so they changed the lock & now , though everything else is open, including people parks, they still haven't opened it. I think it's to spite us. The dog park is very important to me because I love my dogs, I have a special needs dog with a very rare bone disease that has a hard time going for walk on cement & now I have a younger dog who has a 2nd bout of pneumonia. At the park, they can walk or sit at their own pace
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I returned to the gym a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty crowded a couple of nights ago in the "after-work" time slot, but otherwise it has been quiet. The major difference there is that workouts take longer and every person takes a longer time with each machine due to disinfecting after use, and there's no jumping in to do a set while the other person has a rest break.
  • arizonacolbys
    arizonacolbys Posts: 7 Member
    I've rejoined in person spinning classes in the last 2 weeks here in Ohio. I'm thrilled to be back! Bikes are spaced out, spots are limited, and everything is always very well sanitized & clean. I'm one that has been going to work every day outside the home during this entire debacle. So, I'm excited for some other normalcy to return. We've also taken the kids out to eat 4-5 times now - generally once per week - although we went twice the week patio dining returned. I've been doing grocery pick up or delivery, but I did that for a time saver before all of this took place. I can't wait for everything to re-open - everyone should have the option to go out if they feel safe to do so, or to stay in if they don't.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Los Angeles announced gyms can open tomorrow, I'm in Ventura and assume we will follow suit as these are likely state guidelines. I have a decision to make on whether to cancel or not. I've been running and hiking and liking it just fine. I could probably do with adding in some strength work but body weight is fine, I'm not trying to get ripped, and I can do that anywhere.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    My gym is open (with restrictions on capacity and usage), but my wife is in one of the high-risk categories for complications from COVID-19, so it will be awhile before I venture into the gym.

We also have not eaten out and limit our exposure in going to stores and the like.