Goodbye lockdown weight!

Options
I have now re-lost 12.5lb and am back to where I was before I started putting on the pounds in lockdown. :smiley:

I mean, yes, I'm still a fattie and I still have a long way to go (I need to lose another 45 lb to hit goal), but this was my first real milestone and I've hit it.

It took me about a month to gain the 12.5lb and about a month to lose it by rigidly sticking to my calorie limit. That's it. No exercise (I'm staying indoors), but I gained weight through eating, so it makes sense I lost weight through eating too.

I just wanted to give a bit of hope to others who might be in a bad place due to lockdown and have let the pounds creep on - it can be undone. I've just undone it.

Thank you to everyone who was kind to me when I originally posted about the quarantine blues and encouraged me to get back on the wagon and sort myself out. I have more to go, but I'm keeping going.

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My step count has also dropped to no more than 10% of my pre-lockdown activity.

However, that hasn't prevented me from losing weight, and if I lose enough weight, the pressure on my joints will be less, and I'm hoping getting back into running will be easier in the long term.

I'm kind of excited to try, actually - my running time has increased as I've become heavier, so I wonder what sort of time I'll manage when I reach goal.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great work!! Lock down has been tough, it's great you've used this time to work on you and your goals.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Timely uplifting post. I'm halfway into losing my lockdown weight. I wonder how more unhealthy the lockdown made the world population? Was it worth it? I just don't know. But I plan to have mine off by the first week of July. In the meantime.. I'm still on semi lockdown and not around anyone to see that I've regained some of my lost weight. yikes.
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this! I am so disappointed in myself for regaining, but it helps to see that I'm not the only one.
  • georgiamarsh1
    georgiamarsh1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great job :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Stay at home is a challenge. Congrats! I actually started to lose more but it is exercise that has been my issue. This week I am getting some everyday starting with Tuesday last. I have knee issues so always went to Aquafit classes which are closed.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on dropping that weight! I was about to say I was one of the "lucky ones" who didn't gain, but it wasn't luck. It was stubbornness, ha ha. I did more cooking and baking too but also explored healthy recipes. I feel bad for my folks though - their grocery stores had a lack of produce so it was harder for them to eat well. My grocery stores had good food and produce if I looked in the right places.

It's motivating to know that you can fix a temporary mistake and turn things around!
  • tena1028
    tena1028 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great job! I gained 7 lbs and lost 2 of that so I am trying to lose the 5 lbs I gained pre-lockdown (then 10 more to get to my goal weight). I am hoping the gyms in NC can open soon so I can get back at it! I am bad about exercising at home. I do a few squats here and there but that is it.....
  • carriestrine
    carriestrine Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @thelastnightingale everything you said is so true. I have been embracing my mornings without a rush to work so that I can make a healthy breakfast I enjoy, and the same for lunch!

I'm thankful I can workout at home, and without my commute it is much easier/less stressful to fit in exercise. I'm getting so much stronger!

I've been very motivated to get healthy to try to improve my own odds in case I contract Covid. It has given me perspective to really celebrate the hard work instead of dreading it the way I did other times I tried to lose weight and exercise.
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I was stranded abroad at the beginning of lockdown and in two months I gained 12.5lb. I was eating anything I wanted whenever I wanted but still, when I made it home and stepped on the scale I was staggered. I got back on plan the very next day and have lost that weight in a month (actually a month exactly—I got home on May 13!) I mostly kept up my exercise (walking and daily yoga) even during the chaos.

I am still mostly stay at home (NYC) and I find it great for eating mindfully and healthily. For me life “before” was a constant state of resisting temptations: in social settings, free food in work environments, just walking past the pizza joint! I love to bake and do make cake or cookies about once a week but I have room for them in my eating when my other meals are totally within my control. Now to apply what I have learned as things re-open...
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    donidaily wrote: »
    Great thread! I was stranded abroad at the beginning of lockdown and in two months I gained 12.5lb. I was eating anything I wanted whenever I wanted but still, when I made it home and stepped on the scale I was staggered. I got back on plan the very next day and have lost that weight in a month (actually a month exactly—I got home on May 13!) I mostly kept up my exercise (walking and daily yoga) even during the chaos.

I am still mostly stay at home (NYC) and I find it great for eating mindfully and healthily. For me life “before” was a constant state of resisting temptations: in social settings, free food in work environments, just walking past the pizza joint! I love to bake and do make cake or cookies about once a week but I have room for them in my eating when my other meals are totally within my control. Now to apply what I have learned as things re-open...

So you gained the same weight and lost it in roughly the same time - just more proof that it is possible! :) Well done to you for taking back control.

I agree, resisting temptation is hard. UberEATS keep sending me discount codes for half off, and messaging me every time one of my favourite takeaways reopens. For now, it's just not an option for me. I'll consider reintroducing takeaways etc once I'm closer to my goal, but for now, I need to work on making good habits feel like second nature. That way when I do start eating take out again, it will feel like a treat rather than a return to the norm...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!