Not quite exercise - what 'active lifestyle' activities do you enjoy throughout the day?

Replies

• Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    I spend a lot of my free time training my working dog. When I'm not at my job it takes me 4 hours a day to go out with him.
    Thats my secret why I'm so lean 😂😂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    bump - If you have been working from home for a while now - what did you do to compensate for lost "trips to the photocopier on the far side of the floor" and other step-stretching NEATs-at-the-office strategies?

This is a super minor one, maybe even sort of a joke, but . . .

Lots of us are washing our hands for minimum 20 seconds, manyMany times a day, right?

Maintain isometric contraction in arms throughout, through pressure between hands. Doesn't replace steps at all, but gets a few extra muscle contractions into the day, work from home or otherwise.

:wink: :lol:
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Good one!
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    My sister does a 25-25-25 (squats, push ups, sit-ups :: or ab work of choice). The idea is to do that every day-bc it’s probably more than you would do if you only did a planned work out a few times a week. It’s making a difference in my posture And my running. I tidy the house as well-5 kids and a dog and husband home all day, there is almost always something to put away. SoMetimes I’ll just walk up to the nearest stop sign to “get some air”. Occasionally the kids like to go for bike rides. We all walk the dog together as a family several times a week (some bikes and occasional stroller included here)-this is usually an after dinner activity. Vacuuming. Walk around the yard (er garden for the brits 😉). I got my kids a slack line so sometimes I will try that. Push them on the swings to music. Laundry-don’t take everything at once to put it away. Make yourself do it across several trips.
    That’s all I can think of for now 😂🤷🏻‍♀️
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Since it's still mostly lockdown where I live and the gyms are closed/I'm temporarily working from home, I go out on the deck with a weighted hula hoop during lunch break. Play some music/listen to creepypastas for half an hour and do hooping then go in and eat something, get back to work at 1 PM.
  • Coffeelover1264
    Coffeelover1264 Posts: 16 Member
    I love Geocaching, especially out in nature.
  • Hagensieker
    Hagensieker Posts: 25 Member
    I do a few things. I exercise first thing in the morning. Either run, bike, or elliptical. I have an elliptical in front of the big screen TV and if you find a wicked action movie you'll barely realize you are working out. After that I have a smart watch that nags me to get up. And I walk the dog about 3 times a day around an almost mile loop.
  • BMcC9
    bump
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I'm on my feet most of the day from morning to evening (with food/tea breaks to sit for a bit). Besides two dogs walks in the morning I'm on my feet/moving doing gardening, house work, cooking/baking, doing diy jobs around the house, playing tug with 75kg of dog. All that movement and just generally being on my feet doing whatever does add up.
  • BMcC9
    bump - now that we are into the fall
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Walking, biking, etc...just do something.
  • stargirlshrinks
    stargirlshrinks Posts: 7 Member
    Roller skating, hiking while listening to audiobooks or podcasts, swimming and expanding my lung capacity....dancing and learning different styles.

Thank you for all the ideas in this post. I might use some of them.
  • BMcC9
    bump - lots of good "ninja sneak-attack" ideas for burning small packets of calories almost while you aren't looking. Ah, the magic of metabolic "compound interest" ....
  • BMcC9
    bump
  • BMcC9
    bump - I always find this thread very worth regular reviewing -- and for some parts of the world, warmer weather will be arriving very soon ....
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Walking my dogs, washing the car, walking the grocery store...just taking a walk in the sunshine and swimming in the summer is so nice.