Overate by about 2000 calories

Last night I ended up drinking more than I planned, and also ended up ordering KFC. I looked at the calories this morning of what I ate, and combined with the alcohol I am so shocked and feel a bit disgusted with myself that I overate my maintainance calories by about 1900.....

Normally if I slipped I wouldn't log it all as I couldn't face it. How can I make sure this day doesn't affect my progress?

I'm finally seeing the weight shift from using mfp and now worried ive ruined it.. would cutting out a lot today help? Say I cut down to 1000 calories or less?

Replies

• whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    With one meal from a restaurant it's easy to eat 2000 or even more calories over maintenance. Just get back on track and eat your normal weight loss amount. A pound of fat has 3500 calories so it's not like you're going to gain a ton of actual fat from eating that. And you'll quickly continue your weight loss if you eat normally. Don't try to overcorrect or you'll get hungry and eat too much again.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Honestly just try to learn how maybe you could have done better and what choices may have been better and then move on and forget about the rest of it. Consistency is the key
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    I don't think it will matter much if it doesn't happen too often. Go for an extra walk or something if you want to do something.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I’m in the same boat, except I didn’t even log it or look it up - yet. Thanks to cranky old internet granny (much love!), I will estimate. I have absolutely zero regrets, my hunger signals have been all over the place this week and I spent the night with friends I haven’t seen since lockdown started mid-March in here, and the food we had was actually pretty healthy, while the portion sizes weren’t.

OP, don’t worry about it. Life is life, it happens. The only ”fixing” I would do about yesterday if I were you, is to rest, make good food choices today, and maybe go on a little walk if not too hungover. That’s my plan.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2020
    It will affect your progress. It's 2000 extra calories. How much it affects you is up to you. If you let it tell you that you are doomed and you continue down that path, you will gain weight. If you say, oops, and immediately get back on track, it's only a little over half a pound. 4 days at an additional 500 calorie deficit will erase it.

It really depends on whether you are trying to lose weight or at maintenance. If you are trying to lose weight at, let's say, 1 pound a week, this will delay your total weight loss by 4 days which in the grand scheme of things isn't much. If you are at maintenance, you may want to work to get rid of that extra half pound by eating at a deficit for several days.

Either way, it's one day. You can overcome it.

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat, except I didn’t even log it or look it up - yet. Thanks to cranky old internet granny (much love!), I will estimate. I have absolutely zero regrets, my hunger signals have been all over the place this week and I spent the night with friends I haven’t seen since lockdown started mid-March in here, and the food we had was actually pretty healthy, while the portion sizes weren’t.

OP, don’t worry about it. Life is life, it happens. The only ”fixing” I would do about yesterday if I were you, is to rest, make good food choices today, and maybe go on a little walk if not too hungover. That’s my plan.

So, I have a follow-up: I guesstimated and logged yesterday, and it was 300 calories over what Fitbit estimated as burn (when I said the food was pretty healthy, I meant it - I literally binged on grilled fish and some side dishes). Today, my ”little” walk ended up being 2,5 hours of strolling on the seashore with my husband catching some Pokemon on our phones, giving me a good burn. Today I also slept until noon giving me less time to eat (=just breakfast, no lunch), had a nice healthy pasta dinner and even some chips&dip because I had the calories. As a result, today my deficit is 1000 calories, so for the two days I’m still at a 700 deficit. It will take a few days for the sodium & alcohol bloat to go away, but this weekend is still a win: I had a great time with my friends, enjoyed good food and wine, got quality time with my husband, and stayed in an overall deficit.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    n_green_l wrote: »
    Last night I ended up drinking more than I planned, and also ended up ordering KFC. I looked at the calories this morning of what I ate, and combined with the alcohol I am so shocked and feel a bit disgusted with myself that I overate my maintainance calories by about 1900.....

Normally if I slipped I wouldn't log it all as I couldn't face it. How can I make sure this day doesn't affect my progress?

I'm finally seeing the weight shift from using mfp and now worried ive ruined it.. would cutting out a lot today help? Say I cut down to 1000 calories or less?

I would use it as a learning experience. Nothing wrong with enjoying a drop of the pure, but........ Alcohol consumption is known to lower inhibitions, as many of us might recall from our more rebellious youths. Well..... we don't always make the "best choices when under the influence. So, you made a less than optimal decision the night before. Well, the good news is week to week intake is more important than day to day. Hell even month to month is more important.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 599 Member
    I was just thinking about this yesterday, how one could eat 3000 cals over burn in one day and still simply find the "goal date" just moved back a few days. Over the course of a long, slow, healthy weight loss, will hitting goal 6 days sooner really matter? Will one month really matter, once I'm at a healthy weight? I don't think so--but NOT getting to a healthy weight within a couple of years will matter, and so as long as most days have a deficit, I'm not going to worry too much about the few that don't. I read someone here saying that just picking up where you left off before the overeating was the ONLY difference in seeing MFP work for them--they did everything the same in previous attempts, but not reacting in any way to a slip (don't over-restrict or over exercise to try to "fix" it) seemed to be the difference between their previous failures and success this time. So that's what I'm doing. I hope it works for me and for you.
  • meskibrp
    meskibrp Posts: 23 Member
    Like others mentioned, you can have this event serve as a learning lesson. Try and see what created the urge to binge eat. Avoid triggers, reduce stress, and have "cheat" meals while trying to establish a new lifestyle. I'd reflect on why this happened and try to work something into your day to help mitigate. I wouldn't severely restrict calories. Just try to be consistent and try to increase you net - cals this week to help compensate if you feel it is necessary. Again, I feel the biggest concern should be preventing this from happening again. Good luck!