Gradual weight loss -- 55 y.o. and starting at 375 lbs.

2»

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Congratulations on what you've lost so far this year. Definitely an amazing achievement.

Going slowly, but not giving up, is far more sustainable than trying to lose too quickly then stopping because it's too hard. Going slowly should also mean that your skin doesn't get too saggy.

If Intermittent Fasting is working for you - great. But if you find it stops working, it doesn't matter when you eat, only the number of calories that you have per day. Whilst not going to the gym, have you taken up walking again, or do you think it's still too early to put such pressure on your knee? It might be worth trying a short walk.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Congrats! there is a user here named @NovusDies . He is a very nice and knowledgeable person IMHO. He has a larger loser group. He might be able to help guide you. best of luck bubba. Been there....
  • kecward78
    kecward78 Posts: 229 Member
    Congratulations on what you've lost so far this year. Definitely an amazing achievement.

Going slowly, but not giving up, is far more sustainable than trying to lose too quickly then stopping because it's too hard. Going slowly should also mean that your skin doesn't get too saggy.

If Intermittent Fasting is working for you - great. But if you find it stops working, it doesn't matter when you eat, only the number of calories that you have per day. Whilst not going to the gym, have you taken up walking again, or do you think it's still too early to put such pressure on your knee? It might be worth trying a short walk.

I started walking first, and only went to the gym to relieve the stress on the knee. Even though walking is low impact and I was wearing good shoes, I live in an area where there are no paths, so walking on concrete was the only option.

After straining the knee, I started going to the gym and using elipticals, which keep my feet in constant contact.

Then COVID-19 hit and I have been walking again... albeit much shorter walks (1.5 to 2 miles instead of the old 4-5 miles).

I am now trying to vary my aerobic activity with light kettlebell work and have just added a jump rope (very, very short periods since I know it's rough on my knees AND I don't have the anaerobic condition for anything more than 5 minutes). I am also starting to foam roll my body, legs especially, to help lessen the likelihood of injury.

Thanks for responding!

• One_flabulous_journey
    One_flabulous_journey Posts: 22 Member
    You can add me, I’m a week into ddpy. The success stories are inspiring, if you haven’t seen them I recommend it. I was fully committed after seeing all of them.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Welcome back! Congratulations on the loss!
    You already know, this is a lifestyle change.
    You can do it!