60 yrs and up

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    edited June 2020
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    What is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure: The number of calories you burn per day doing all the things you do, from heartbeat/breathing to job and chores to exercise.

ETA a useful thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    Thanks!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    What is TDEE?
    TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Even if you spend the day as a couch potato, you expend energy simply live your life. TDEE is an estimate of that figure based on things such as gender, age, height, weight, etc. Often included is your percentage of body fat, which is also an estimate but that's another issue.

Your TDEE changes with your activity. A regular long distance runner expends more energy per day than a couch potato. Muscle percentage can up your TDEE as well. Arguably, muscle percentage is the flip side of fat percentage but our bodies are not that simple so there's argument about how much fat percentage (an estimate) should be used in the calculation of TDEE (an estimate).

In general, though, as an estimate, TDEE works fairly well. If you take your daily TDEE and consume that minus 500 calories each day, you will likely lose 1 pound per week (3500 calories equal one pound).

The danger with this idea of subtracting daily calories to lose weight is that you cannot be too extreme with it. If you eat too few calories per day you are unlikely to be able to get all the nutrients you need to maintain health. This is why VLCD (very low calorie diets) should only be undertaken under a physician's supervision and require special vitamin supplements. Even eating too little while maintaining health is problematic because it can lead to compensatory overeating (binging, crash days, etc.).

So, for most MFP members, the way to lose weight (or gain weight or control weight) is to calculate how many calories their bodies need and adjust their eating accordingly.
  • trekkie123
    Thanks for the great explanation!
  • trekkie123
    Glad you made your way back!! Continued succeds!
  • trekkie123
    That was continued success!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Greetings, kids! Hope you're having a great day. Raining sideways in Idaho this morning. The dog walk will have to be this afternoon. The cooler temps are pleasant, though.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Everybody knows how to lose weight (eat broccoli instead of Snickers bars and go for a walk instead of sitting on the couch). The problem that this thread and MFP can help with is supporting and encouraging you to keep doing that every day and liking it.

:) Hubby baked bread today so I have to get back on the exercise bike and away from the computer.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • mighty1234
    mighty1234 Posts: 15 Member
    Loiking for fitness buddies. I dont know how to add friends
    Chantal
  • trekkie123
    mighty1234 wrote: »
    Chantal

I invited you🥳
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    7sorok wrote: »
    My DH had a medical procedure and after he was given LORNA DOONE cookies. He loved them so much that he asked me to buy them for him, which I did. Now he says that they are not the same taste like the ones in the med. center - they taste salty to him and in med. center they were sweet without a hint of salt. So, I tasted them for the first time ever and they do have a salty aftertaste. I wonder if there are a few varieties of those cookies and if there are which ones should I buy?

Fundamentally, Lorna Doones are shortbread cookies. You could try other shortbread cookies with less sodium on the nutrition label.

Online info says (assuming those labels are current):

Lorna Doones are 220mg sodium per 42g of cookie (5.23mg sodium per g).
    Pepperidge Farm Chessmen are 80mg sodium per 26g of cookie (3.07mg sodium per g)
    Walkers Shortbread are 80mg sodium per 28g of cookie (2.85mg per g)

Maybe try one of those other brands? Shortbread cookies are also very easy to make. The classic recipe doesn't include need to include salt, can be just butter (you could use unsalted), sugar, flour. Lorna Doones do have salt. Walkers do. Chessmen don't (but don't specify whether the butter is salted or not, and do have baking soda which is also sodium).

Thank you very much. I will definitely try the suggested varieties.
    As for suggestions to bake the cookies - I try not to bake anything as I am a sweet tooth binge eater and such stuff is not allowed in the house. Poor husband has to keep his cookies in the garage away from me and this is going on for 50 years already, otherwise, I would balloon to an enormous size which I did a couple of times in my lifetime already.

Also, I enjoy reading your well thought and very informative posts. Thank you for them too.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    mighty1234 wrote: »
    Chantal

To add friends on MFP on the desktop app:

1) Click on the username in the left sidebar. A window showing the username will open.
    2) Click on the username again. The user's profile will open.
    3) Click on the "Add Friend" button on the user's profile page. There is an option to send a message along with the request. That's always a good idea - just a short note mentioning where you saw the user, some common interests or goals, etc.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Hi and best wishes to all our group. It was a beautiful week-end, even turned the A/C off and enjoyed the fresh air. This has been a good week, I ventured to the farm park and took a nice walk on the trail early one morning. The farm buildings are still closed to the public but the animals are out grazing in the pastures. It's so good to be back in nature. My tracking and walking habits resulted in the little loss I was expecting. Tracking my daily calories first thing in the morning make self-control so much easier to stay in the green. Our area is starting to open more businesses, restaurants and gyms at social distanced limited percentages or appointments, but at my age I don't yet feel ready to go out except in the outdoors. I haven't been to the grocery store yet and find myself having less variety in my meals because of limitations on delivery options. I really miss my local fresh farm market that still hasn't opened for the season. Hope to carefully venture out a little more this week.
    Make it a happy week.

Friend Hugs. Om….
  • trekkie123
    Today in New Jersey we enter phase 2 of reopening which for me means back to the office. We are doing staggered schedules which I am happy about. I plan to go in on an as needed basis. This is going to cut into my pre retirement joy that I was having during the quarantine. On the positive side only 7 1/2 months to go!
  • Suescribbler103
    Suescribbler103 Posts: 2 Member
    61 years old here and needing to loose half my body weight. Five years ago I was housebound due to knee issues. I’ve had two successful knee surgeries but haven’t been able to get my activity mojo back. I need to get my butt in gear or the future will be increasingly bleak.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    61 years old here and needing to loose half my body weight. Five years ago I was housebound due to knee issues. I’ve had two successful knee surgeries but haven’t been able to get my activity mojo back. I need to get my butt in gear or the future will be increasingly bleak.

:) One thing that has helped me stay active is listening to music, audio books, and podcasts while I walk. My cell phone allows me to do all that so I have entertainment while I move. Walking is good exercise.

<3 Barbie
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Or if you have a treadmill, I watch tv while I am on it. Outdoor walking is so much better, tho!!
  • Lynne4RH
    Lynne4RH Posts: 13 Member
    Hello everyone! Hope everyone is well...........where did the time go?
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure, or how many calories your body burns in a day. Your total energy expenditure in a day will depend on factors such as how much exercise you do.

Here's a link if you want to see what a simple TDEE calculator looks like: https://www.calculator.net/tdee-calculator.html. As mentioned above in this thread, these online TDEE calculators are not all that accurate (for a more advanced one, you could google the Sailrabbit TDEE calculator referenced by AnnPT77 above).