Creating custom weight for foods

Hello all!

So, i'm coming back over from CarbManager and i'm a little lost. In CarbManager, I was able to enter a custom weight for the food and it would calculate the macros based off of that. It seems on MyFitnessPal, I have to enter "servings". So, if I have 12.75 oz of boneless chicken breast, how many servings would that be? 3 and 3/4? So confused, lol.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    There are many entries on MFP for the same foods, using different units or several units to choose from. So the best thing is to look for a (correct) entry that has the possibility of choosing oz as a unit.
  • caffeinewasted
    caffeinewasted Posts: 3 Member
    Ok I will do that, thanks!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited June 2020
    To me the serving is the amount I put on my plate and its not consistent from time to time. So when I create recipes in MFP I make the # of servings = to the # of grams. Say I make chili: I enter all the raw ingredients by item, weight into the builder. When the dish is done: I weigh the final product. If its 3000 Grams, then my recipe is 3000 servings. If I put 250 grams in my bowl today for lunch, or 400 grams in my bowl tomorrow night for dinner: I can log each accordingly. I don't have to decide in advance what a 'serving' amounts to. What I need/want to eat can vary day to day.

In general as someone else said - many entries will allow you to adjust the entry. If the chicken entry you use shows 4 oz for serving size, you can probably change it to 1 oz.
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    If you are trying to do what I do, you have to know how large a "serving" is. For most proteins, that is 3 to 4 oz. So, if you use a calculator, 12.75 ounces would be 3.1675 servings. Rounding being what it is, that would be 3.17 servings to enter. Or, convert it to grams and enter it based on the number of grams you eat. Pick one, stick with it, and you will find what works for you. What I have noticed is that a lot of what is listed in the food database is "lacking" in accuracy. I've seen separate entries for the same thing, from that same source with different information based on what someone thought it should be. I tend to check what the nutritional info on the restaurant/manufacturer's website says is a serving and take it from there. It takes a bit of cross checking, but it is worth it in the end.