Exercise calorie question

Options
If MFP sees my steps count and gives me added calories and I also work out and get added calories for my workout, does the workout calories get deducted from my steps added calories? Example- 10119 steps- only extra 15calories, 45 minutes walk- 200 calories added. If I didn’t log a walk workout would I have had more calories added from just my steps?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You don't mention what devices you're using, but if you're syncing a device like a Fitbit you don't need to log your workouts also.
  • jaimelishus545
    jaimelishus545 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry using an Apple Watch
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Any step based workouts should not be logged. Non-step based ones should be and the logging supersedes any steps taken.

I use a Garmin Vivofit. If I log a workout in MFP the Garmin does not award calories for any steps taken during the workout. For example: I take a 50 minute water aerobics class. Typically I record about 2000 steps taken during the class on my Garmin which will give me about 50 extra calories. I get home and enter the class in MFP from 4:00 PM to 4:40 PM (I only log 40 minutes because of the 10 minute stretching and cool down at the end). When I sync, I get the calories logged only. The 50 calories from steps taken between 4:00 and 4:40 drops off because it is incorporated in the logged exercise. I do not get credit for both.

I do not know how Apple watches work, but I would think they do the same thing.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry using an Apple Watch

Did you actually run through process to sync accounts - such that Apple is sending workouts over?

If that is the case Apple did not follow the API rules and is sending over the wrong info compared to other trackers.

The send over a base calorie burn pretty close to MFP's own Sedentary, instead of the expected TDEE daily burn for everything.

Which means your sets aren't even getting any credit at all, and those workouts are being wiped out for adding calories correctly.

Can't sync with Apple directly or you get incorrect math done, and results.
    Need to remove that sync, and instead find in MFP Apps the Pacer app, sync to that, and in Pacer sync that to Apple Health. Now the correct figures will be given to MFP.

If you did NOT do that and have merely selected in MFP settings for Step Source to use the Apple Watch, then yes MFP removes some of those calories from steps, once you log a workout and it knows some of those calories may have been related to the workout.

But it's much rougher because it doesn't know what step calories were really associated with the workout because of not having the timing. Or at least I haven't been able to prove they do it right, it sure appears to be wrong.

Whereas the description above about how Garmin works is the way it should be done.
    Replace the calories based on distance (steps basically) for the chunk of time a workout really happened.
    I had similar on bike last night - VF3 saw all the impacts from rode noise and calculated a distance and calorie estimate of 310. Once the other Garmin synced the workout and calories based on watts, that was dropped and the 576 was put in. So only about a 250 net gain from what was there already.
    But my lawn mowing from right before the ride stayed in total.

From what I've seen and heard on MFP app direct step count setting - there would be a total calories extra for the steps that went over your selected activity level, and some would just be wiped out when a workout is logged.
  • jaimelishus545
    Options
    Which pacer app is it there are a bunch
  • jaimelishus545
    Options
    I’m looking in the Apple App Store is that correct
  • heybales
    Options
    I’m looking in the Apple App Store is that correct

Well - you start on the MFP App list. Hopefully it makes it clear which one. I'm sure that goes to Apple store eventually though.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/280

• jaimelishus545
    Options
    Got it thanks!
  • jaimelishus545
    Options
    Pacer won’t update in MFP
  • heybales
    Options
    Well - there are many successfully using it as described so not sure if you mean it's not updating your stats or other.

In MFP app settings you do have to select Step Source to be Pacer once the link is established already.
  • jaimelishus545
    Options
    Yes that’s what I mean it’s not updating my stats. It did it initially but won’t anymore! This is frustrating!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's stopped working for me too. How to fix?
  • heybales
    Options
    The MFP app settings for Step Source have been known, especially on upgrade, to lose the desired setting of pointing to Pacer in this case.

Need to confirm that first.

Otherwise, check issues under Help.
    Which leads to this:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044563091-Extended-Sync-Server-and-Fitbit-Issues-Starting-6-5
  • erikascarika
    erikascarika Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby
    Thank you for this explanation:
    I use a Garmin Vivofit. If I log a workout in MFP the Garmin does not award calories for any steps taken during the workout. For example: I take a 50 minute water aerobics class. Typically I record about 2000 steps taken during the class on my Garmin which will give me about 50 extra calories. I get home and enter the class in MFP from 4:00 PM to 4:40 PM (I only log 40 minutes because of the 10 minute stretching and cool down at the end). When I sync, I get the calories logged only. The 50 calories from steps taken between 4:00 and 4:40 drops off because it is incorporated in the logged exercise. I do not get credit for both.

If I’m understanding correctly, we do not get the calories, but we DO get the steps, correct? Or do you know? I’m using a FitBit and this is exactly the scenario/question I have.
  • heybales
    Options
    @earlnabby
    Thank you for this explanation:

If I’m understanding correctly, we do not get the calories, but we DO get the steps, correct? Or do you know? I’m using a FitBit and this is exactly the scenario/question I have.

Yes you get the steps.

Steps is merely a figure like weight or glasses of water drank. If they are logged, they stay logged.
  • erikascarika
    erikascarika Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, @earlnabby!