30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Hi everyone! The lockdown (and all of the snacks around the house for my kids during the lockdown) have had their effect. I did have 25lbs to lose anyway and ended up gaining another 5 due to stress, snacking and comfort eating - Booooo.....

I'm married, in my 40s, and have just started home schooling 2 young kids who are not old enough to really work independently. There is alot of sitting in my day while I teach them. For exercise, I'm just trying to start out with getting in 10,000 steps a day. I figure that is the baby step for exercise. In Texas, it's already really hot so I have to do most of that walking indoors. My main strategy to begin is to track my food diligently, drink more water, and get in those steps!

I'm looking for some accountability friends to help with support and motivation. We can check-in and commiserate together :smiley:

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Good job! They say weight loss happens in the kitchen so if nothing else, that is where I try to focus. Looks like you are doing great!
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    @IAmTheGlue I totally agree on the kitchen priority. Its a great idea to shift that viewpoint 👍
  • MommaGemz
    Day 4

I got to sleep in a wee bit before I got up for another busy day of projects. I have realized that having the same breakfast and lunch each day takes a huge amount of work out of the tracking. I just have to focus on figuring out dinner and snack calories. The projects helped me get in a bunch of my steps. I was pretty hungry last night but managed to make it through without snacking. Now I’m pretty tired, so early to bed for me! I need to get up early and start the kids’ school day 👍

Initial Daily Goals:
    Calories ✅
    Steps ✅
    Water ✅
  • MommaGemz
    Day 5

Oh boy today will be rough. First, I was super hungry last night and it made falling asleep difficult. But when I listen to whenever my body is "hungry" then I end up here.... many pounds heavier. Plus, my kids woke me up several times during the night so I an so very tired. One thing that derails my diet the quickest is exhaustion. I eat and drink coffee to help feel awake during the day. So today will be a challenge. If I can just stick to coffee to keep me alert, that will be a WIN.

TBC.....
  • MommaGemz
    Day 5 ...part 2

I did manage to get through the day without snacking although it was tough. I had some strong cravings and there was alot of coffee. Getting in the steps was tough since I just didn't have the energy, but I did finish it, then rewarded myself with a brief "lie down" after dinner. Then easy enough to guess... I went to bed early to catch up on sleep (and to resist the urge to evening snack...)

Initial Daily Goals:
    Calories ✅
    Steps ✅
    Water ✅
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Well done for not snacking despite being hungry. I hate being hungry and lockdown is making it worse because it’s so hard to distract myself :-(. (We’ve been in strict lockdown since March 19 - no leaving the apartment except for groceries)
  • MommaGemz
    Day 6

I got much better sleep last night even though it was still a bit interrupted. I'm feeling good this morning and even cooked the family their favorite breakfast food - bacon. I do struggle with living with two kids who active need to gain weight and get to eat pretty much whatever they want. I have managed to cut of random snacking for everyone in the house, so 1. I'm not tempted when getting their snacks and 2. so they actually finish their meals. I managed to pre-track all foods today and followed that plan.

I wrapped the day up with a nice huge hunk of watermelon - my first of the summer B)

Initial Daily Goals:
    Calories ✅
    Steps ✅
    Water ✅
  • MommaGemz
    @Xiaolongbao The "no snacking" is SUCH a big challenge given the lockdown, stress, and monotony of indoor activities only. It has been a welcome distraction to snack and watch some TV. But I'll be stressed more later on if I don't get a handle on it now and I just know that snacking just gets uncontrollable for me :(
  • MommaGemz
    Day 7

7 days of successful calorie tracking! Pre-planning in my food journal really helped this week. Getting in the steps was the hardest part. I just spend so much time at a desk throughout the day that it’s hard to get up and move. Weigh-in is tomorrow morning!

Initial Daily Goals:
    Calories ✅
    Steps ✅
    Water ✅
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 900 Member
    Hi,
    You sound like you're doing really well.Its hard to diet when you're feeding kids all day.Been there,done it.I have also gained 20lbs since lockdown.I now weigh the same as last time I joined MFP in feb 2018 !! Would like to add u as a friend but don't know how ??
    Keep up the good work,you're doing great 😁
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Nicely done ! Good job working through the cravings and temptations. I love that you update everyday
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Well done on your progress so far! Great job.

I also like to plan ahead and eat the same foods for a while - some people want more routine, but if I eat similar foods, my body gets better used to those amounts, and deals with its expectations better.
  • MommaGemz
    Day 8

It was such a long and stressful day that I nearly threw in the towel and ordered take-out for dinner. But I stuck to my guns and stayed within plan. Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday and I can relax a bit more.

Initial Daily Goals:
    Calories ✅
    Steps ✅
    Water ✅
  • MommaGemz
    @izzyred9400 I just requested you as a Friend. Thank you so much for the support. Lockdown really had a mental and physical effect on me (on many people for sure) and now I'm trying to correct all the damage.