Travel talk! Favorite/least favorite places?

2»

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I'll update mine with my reasons....

Favorites:
    Rome, because I loved the food, the culture, the history, and the people. It helped that I went in the winter, so it was not overrun with tourists. We walked everywhere, found little non-touristy restaurants, enjoyed museums without the crowds. I could see myself living there...it was a REAL city, which means it's not perfect, but if I want "perfect", I'll go to Disney World.

Jasper, Alberta, because it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Not crowded with tourists like Banff or Lake Louise, just a small town surrounded by spectacular mountains. The hiking trails offered unforgettable vistas, truly the best hiking I have ever experienced.

Least Favorite:
    Anywhere in Texas: I have visited Houston, Dallas/Arlington, San Antonio, and Austin, and found few redeeming qualities in any of them. Boring landscape, terrible weather, overcrowded, unfriendly, and I'm just not a fan of the "cowboy" culture. It's a big state, and I haven't been everywhere there, obviously, but the experiences I've had in the big cities leave me with no desire to ever go back.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    edited June 2020
    @SuzySunshine99, agree on Jasper. Absolute stunning place.
  • R2chy
    R2chy Posts: 23 Member
    Favourite got to be Mexico 🇲🇽
    Least favourite Tenerife Spain 🇪🇸
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I'll update mine with my reasons....

Favorites:
    Rome, because I loved the food, the culture, the history, and the people. It helped that I went in the winter, so it was not overrun with tourists. We walked everywhere, found little non-touristy restaurants, enjoyed museums without the crowds. I could see myself living there...it was a REAL city, which means it's not perfect, but if I want "perfect", I'll go to Disney World.

Jasper, Alberta, because it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Not crowded with tourists like Banff or Lake Louise, just a small town surrounded by spectacular mountains. The hiking trails offered unforgettable vistas, truly the best hiking I have ever experienced.

Least Favorite:
    Anywhere in Texas: I have visited Houston, Dallas/Arlington, San Antonio, and Austin, and found few redeeming qualities in any of them. Boring landscape, terrible weather, overcrowded, unfriendly, and I'm just not a fan of the "cowboy" culture. It's a big state, and I haven't been everywhere there, obviously, but the experiences I've had in the big cities leave me with no desire to ever go back.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this opinion of Texas. I remain unimpressed, despite large quantities of my spouse's family residing there. I don't see the appeal.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Favorite: Maui. It is unbelievably beautiful.

Least: anywhere in Texas, for a lot of the same reasons @SuzySunshine99 has.

But now I want to visit Jasper, Alberta.
  • FoolishJoy
    FoolishJoy Posts: 139 Member
    Favorite: Freiburg am Bresig, Germany
    Least Favorites: Las Vegas, Honolulu
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Favourite - Thailand
    Least - Portugal
  • jcrav77
    jcrav77 Posts: 584 Member
    I have found that the place I visit and how much in enjoy it usually has more to do with the person I am with rather than the place I am visiting. Give me a beach and I could die there.

Places I have visited alone and enjoyed

Florida (St Augustine is my most favorite)
    Orlando, Daytona both nice
    California (Santa Barbara driving North on Hwy 1, San Francisco are my favorite so far)
    Boston
    San Antonio Tx

Places I have visited and didn’t enjoy

NOLA ( I should give it another chance)
    Jacksonville Florida ( people were nice it’s just too populated)

My most adventurous
    I was stuck in the airport in Chicago and needed to get to Indianapolis by morning. After three failed attempts at getting on another plane. A complete stranger said hey I’m going to rent a car and drive you want to go? I said sure and we left. Thankfully he was from Chicago and knew where he was going. He showed me around Chicago a little. Took me to the airport in Indianapolis to get my luggage. It was closed already. (That’s when I started carrying a change of clothes in my carryon) We picked up his car at the airport and he drove me to my hotel. He is still a friend today.

• GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited June 2020
    Favorite: Washington, D.C. (I love the Smithsonian and historical sites.)
    Least Favorite: Taxco, Mexico (I was not too interested in silver mining.)